Thread: In Firefox 8, how do you...?

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In Firefox 8, how do you...?

... Well, their hype aside, how do you actually:
    1) Stop two tabs from opening when you click on the Home button? One tab is the actual "Google" home page I set, but the default active tab is a "Getting Started" type. Well, I don't want that one.

2) How do you get to a recent bit of History like you did with the older drop-down button? I can only see "Back" and "Forward" buttons.

3) Get the weather button to retain the set "Celsius" temperature scale?

Ta, Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can answer number 2 only, just click and hold the back and forward button at the top left of the window.
    I don't have the problem you have with number 1. Must be something there in the Firefox-options setup.
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wondered where that had gone! Thank you I have been using it for ages and didn't know that!

I only ever get the two tabs when there is something new to show me....doesn't happen after that.
    Call me Roo......
    Nikon D300s, Nikon 35mm 1.8 DX, Nikkor 50mm 1.4 Af-S, Nikon 18-200mm VR, Nikon 70-200VRII 2.8, Sigma 105 Macro, Sigma 150-500mm f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM, Tokina 12-24mm, Sb-600, D50, Nikon 1.7 T/C, Gitzo CF Monopod

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, AGB. I found that it's actually a RIGHT click, and on either button, <- or ->. Hovering the mouse pointer on it actually tells you. (Ahem! Too impatient!)

Well, at least that's still there.
    Again, ta.

In time to edit:
    In the options there were two addresses for the Home Page, one for their Help page and the other for google. In between them was a vertical bar character, so that you can open two tabs at once. Like this:
    "http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/central/|http://google.com.au"
    Last edited by ameerat42; 07-12-2011 at 3:05pm.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope they've fixed the memory hog issues. When your web browser gets to 2.4GB in RAM usage, you've got a problem. Is Bill Gates working over at Mozilla now?

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...and try as I may, the Celsius scale will just not stick! Who needs to know that Sydney is 68ºF today? - Or tomorrow?

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    ... Well, their hype aside, how do you actually:
    1) Stop two tabs from opening when you click on the Home button? One tab is the actual "Google" home page I set, but the default active tab is a "Getting Started" type. Well, I don't want that one.
    Firefox Tab(top LH corner)-> Options -> Options-> General Tab:

What settings do you have for 'When Firefox starts' ?
    Is it Show My Homepage/Show windows and tabs from previous session????

My FF8 doesn't do what you say with this opening of multiple tabs for the home page.

When FF starts, it opens on my home page in only one tab. it will open another tab if I tell it too, or click a link to do so, but if I have multiple tabs open, and click Home, it will navigate to my home page in only that tab, even tho I have it set to open new links in new tabs.

I have no idea on the temperature thingy problem, I don't have this installed(whatever it is).

if I want to know the temp at my place, I just click on to the BOM website.

By the way, best weather widget I've ever seen used was WeatherStats from Birdcagesoft.
    it is made to run on OS up to WinXP, and it gets updated every so often for this OS only, and it does work on Win7, but with a few issues.
    You can set it to load at start up and set a temperature widget into your systray, where it shows you the current temp from any one of thousands of official BOM weather stations around the country, you choose the closest one to your location and it's the most accurate temp of your area(or any other area you choose)

Any other 'Weather Service' I've ever tried or looked at have been in general laughable .. usually inaccurate info.
    This thing pulls info from the BOM stations in real time, and gives you heaps more stats if you wish as well.
    Like I said tho, it doesn't run as well on Win7 as it did on WinXP.
    After a while, I had to resign myself to the fact that it was never going to work as well, so I haven't installed it again on my Win7.
    Never really looked at replacing it, I just have a couple of bookmarks to the BOM site now and manually navigate to whatever area of interest I'm looking for.

Sounds geeky, yeah!... but as a primarily landscape photographer it's good to know more info about what's happening weather wise so as to make good use of it, or alternatively, not waste your time and effort if it's looking bleak.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, AGB. I found that it's actually a RIGHT click, and on either button, <- or ->. Hovering the mouse pointer on it actually tells you. (Ahem! Too impatient!)

Well, at least that's still there.
    Again, ta.

In time to edit:
    In the options there were two addresses for the Home Page, one for their Help page and the other for google. In between them was a vertical bar character, so that you can open two tabs at once. Like this:
    Perhaps you had set as your home page" use current pages" and when you set it you had two pages open. I am not sure from your message if you have fixed it, if not then where it says home page type in the address of the home page you want to use.You can have multiple home pages opened if you set the use current pages as you home page.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kym and AGB. I have fixed the double tabs on open. (See a post or two above.)
    Yes Kym, so do I, but it just came with it in the Yahoo toolbar. I might just delete the button.
    Well, that answers all the questions.

Also, and bonus: I shifted the location of the tabs to where they usually are in earlier versions, ie, not at the very top. Yeah, I think I'll keep it.
    Thanks all. Am.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Tools> Options> General. As Arthur said, this is where you want to go.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One last Q about this version. Is there some obvious replacement for the little green progress bar that sat at the lower right of the screen in the earlier versions?

It's one thing to see a spinning wheel on the tab but you don't know if you're actually getting anywhere.