Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  7

Thread: Sigma Lens

Regular Visitor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sigma Lens

Hi everyone, I am hoping that someone can clarify this for me, I am at present looking at buying a second hand sigma 170mm to 500mm APO model, this is not a DG model. The question is will this still work ok on my 450D or not?
    Regards
    Wayne

CC Always welcome as its a great way of Learning

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume the lens was previously used on a Canon Film SLR?

I suggest you contact the Technical Department of C R Kennedy.

Have the the lens's nomenclature and serial number available, they should be able to give a definitive answer and advise if reprogramming or re-chipping is available for the lens (if necessary).

I have always found C R Kennedy extremely helpful and rapid in their response.

WW

Regular Visitor
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks william, the lens was used on a Canon 33c and a Canon 20D thats why I was thinking that it might be ok.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne63 View Post
    was used on . . . a Canon 20D thats why I was thinking that it might be ok.
    I would be very confident also that it will communicate OK with a 450D.

WW

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Wayne, I looked into it's smaller brother 120-300 and It would have needed to be chipped and calibrated to suit my 50D, as WW mentioned, I checked with C R kennedy and got all the relivant information to help me make my decession. I decided not to by it in the end, seemed like too much trouble.

Are you able to try it on your body before purchase? I'm guessing that's a no tho.
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL! 120-300 Sigma is hardly a smaller brother... that's one big muth! ... I mean ... ummm bazooka!
    (this is if we are referring to the Sigma 120-300/2.8)

170-500 Sigma is a regulation standard CPU'ed lens that will AF and communicated exposure info to the camera as per the usual Sigma standard, so you won't have any issue over that.

The question needs to be asked.. are you really desparate for such a lens.
    In this day and age, there are far better options for this kind of focal length range at prices that aren't too bad.

Search for the 150-500 Sigma, and even tho they will be more expensive, they are so for a reason. The IQ is far more modern by comparion.

I've never had a Sigma 170-500, it is an old lens design and from memory there is a newer updated version it too, the older version had the typical standard shiny plastic body, whereas the updated model used the typical Sigma velvety texture on most of the body of the lens ..... and by the reports I've seen of it ... not worth the trouble.

I can image that the price seems quite cheap for a xxx-500mm lens, and this is so for a reason .. it's devalued so much over time as improved models have been released.

There is also a Tamron 200-500mm from yesteryear too, and the occasional enquiry comes and goes, and again ... you get what you pay for.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosta View Post
    Hi Wayne, I looked into it's smaller brother 120-300 and It would have needed to be chipped and calibrated to suit my 50D, as WW mentioned, I checked with C R kennedy and got all the relivant information to help me make my decession. I decided not to by it in the end, seemed like too much trouble.

Someone might have given you a bum steer there Roosta. I have a 120-300 f2.8 and it works fine on all my Canon DSLR bodies. Mine is a DG, but not a DG OS.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, there have been reports of some older generation Sigma lenses that have required an updated CPU/firmware for the lens as the genuine manufacturers keep moving the baseline of communication for the third party vendors.
    I've never experienced this, but from what I understand of it, Sigma offer a free update to any lens that doesn't communicate correctly to the camera.

I@M had two of his Sigma's re-calibrated and from what I remember the price sounded very reasonable. This is a different service to having the CPU reflashed to maintain comms with the camera.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No boys it was pre DG lens and it was the f4, ended up with the Canon 70-200mm F2.8 NON IS and have never looked back, also got a TC 1.4 and it is a pretty good combo. Would like longer reach tho, now having the 1D APS-H body I'm leaning even more to the Canon 300mm F4, but, 'one powerball' the F2.8 and others would be in several bags I'd need, dreaming now. LOL

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosta View Post
    No boys it was pre DG lens and it was the f4 .....

Ah!

if it was an f/4, that would almost certainly make it the 100-300 f/4 not 120-300, which is an f/2.8 lens.

Andrew has this lens, and it works a treat.
    It was misfocusing(but otherwise OK) on his bodies(and mine), but as I said, he took it into CRK and they recalibrated it for a reasonable price.

Good lens actually, and these are well worth the money, and even coupled to a 1.4x TC(making it a 420/5.6) they apparently still produce some good IQ.
    A lens like this is highly recommended if found for a good price.

I cant' remember if Andrew's is DG or not, but even if it isn't there should still be no issues communications wise with your Canons.
    How perfectly it focuses is a separate issue.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    Ah!

if it was an f/4, that would almost certainly make it the 100-300 f/4 not 120-300, which is an f/2.8 lens.

Andrew has this lens, and it works a treat.
    It was misfocusing(but otherwise OK) on his bodies(and mine), but as I said, he took it into CRK and they recalibrated it for a reasonable price.

Good lens actually, and these are well worth the money, and even coupled to a 1.4x TC(making it a 420/5.6) they apparently still produce some good IQ.
    A lens like this is highly recommended if found for a good price.

I cant' remember if Andrew's is DG or not, but even if it isn't there should still be no issues communications wise with your Canons.
    How perfectly it focuses is a separate issue.
    Sorry AK yes correct with focal lenght, just checked the old ad I replied to.

Regular Visitor
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you everyone, I have decided to save up and wait for either a 150-500 or a 50-500.

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wayne,

Mrs MOngo has used the 170 -500 APO you are referring to for many years on her Pentax bodies with great success. Within the last 6 months Mongo looked for and found her a new 50-500 Sigma APO non- vibration reduction model (as the Pentax has that featured built into the body and not the lens).

She still has the 170-500 but it sits in the cupboard now and will talk her into selling it some time soon. However, the new lens has the edge over her old lens in practicable results and on the MTF figures. Mind you , the 170-500 was no slouch and gave some superb results. However, the consistency of excellent results was not as regular as the new lens.

PS - as far as Mongo has researched, the 50-500 is also slightly better on the MTF figures and results than the 150-500
    Last edited by mongo; 11-12-2011 at 10:53pm.
    Nikon and Pentax user

Regular Visitor
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    Wayne,

Mrs MOngo has used the 170 -500 APO you are referring to for many years on her Pentax bodies with great success. Within the last 6 months Mongo looked for and found her a new 50-500 Sigma APO non- vibration reduction model (as the Pentax has that featured built into the body and not the lens).
    PS - as far as Mongo has researched, the 50-500 is also slightly better on the MTF figures and results than the 150-500
    She still has the 170-500 but it sits in the cupboard now and will talk her into selling it some time soon. However, the new lens has the edge over her old lens in practicable results and on the MTF figures. Mind you , the 170-500 was no slouch and gave some superb results. However, the consistency of excellent results was not as regular as the new lens.
    Thanks Mongo, I was looking at the 170-500 because of the price. The 50-500 would be the way to go but out of my financial limits ATM. Most of my photos are birds and with only a 55-250 kit lens find it a bit limiting, Thank you again for your comments
    Last edited by Wayne63; 12-12-2011 at 7:30am.