Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5

Thread: What do i need?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do i need?

Hi all,
    I've had my Nikon D5100 for a week and I'm wondering what else I need to buy that is essential for starting out? I have 2 lenses (18-55mm and 55-300mm) and a camera bag. But that's it. A friend told me I need uv filters??? Is there anything else I should get? ..... And also is there a "correct" way to pack the camera bag? (as in lens standing face down/face up etc). I really want to look after my gear properly!

Thanks everyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lens face up or even better sideways

Don't buy any filters

Tripod and a flash might be useful

Go out and take lots of shots
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The type of photography you do will determine what you need to buy. Do a course at your local community college and get some shooting behind yourself - that will determine what to buy.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with all of the above.................and I have never bought a UV filter

It really does depend on the style of shooting you start leaning towards.......save your money for the moment and get to know the controls that you have at your disposal in the camera.
    There is no point spending $$ on filters at the moment until you know the threes basics of your Camera.....Shutter speed, Aperture and ISO.

When you learn the relations between these 3, buying the additions will become a lot easier because you will have a better understanding of how they all tie in together.

BUT.....if you ask me now what my must haves are in my bag, they would be a : Neutral Density Filter (ND) x 8, a Circular Polariser, Remote Shutter and Tripod.
    I can get around not having the remote shutter and use the timer in the camera.....but the 2 filters and Tripod are my never walk out the door without them items.

BUT, lol......thats only from 7 yrs of buying every cheap and nasty addition I could find and then discovering wjat works best for me.
    We are all different and you will find yours in time..

Just have fun shooting heaps and heaps.............don't forget to show though lol
    Cheers and Happy Shooting
    Cindy

Canon 7D, 50mm, 100mm Macro
    Olympus E-30, 9-18mm, 14-54mm, 50-200mm
    Photoshop CS5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh no, another person being made broke! Especially as you start acquiring things over time. Some things you'll find useful almost straight away, some as you start trying more and more things, and others as you want the quality of your pics to improve.

Short term: Definitely get a spare battery or two - this is an absolute must! A tripod you'll also find very useful.

Then: filters and remote shutter release, possibly flash.

You'll probably think about different lenses at some point, but wait until you see what you like to take photos of - that'll determine zoom/focal lengths and the like.

Don't forget software either! Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop are very popular. GIMP is a free version also very suitable. Others range from High Dynamic Range (HDR) software, to panoramic stitching, to noice reduction, toning, ... Most have trial versions, some others are free. Don't go overboard or worry too much about this side too early!

Good luck - and enjoy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh Yeah..........Good point about the Batteries Scott, I automatically buy an extra 3 (battery Grip) with any camera I get plus an extra charger.

Quite happy getting them from Ebay....never been an issue to date

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same here Cindy - have bought a few from eBay, and they're all going strong. In fact the most recent couple I bought had a higher power rating than the originals!

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks everyone

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Tripod and a flash might be useful
    Go out and take lots of shots
    I'm slowly developing a long wish list, however I think a tripod is a must, and a flash is becoming a priority. A lens hood is fast moving up my list and and and. It kinda depends what type of photos you end up taking. Weddings, macro, landscape, will require different stuff.
    As kiwi said, "Go out and take lots of shots", you've got a good range with you're lens, and as time goes by, you'll learn what you need.
    And you don't need UV filters!
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe his friend suggested a lens filter as its a cheap(ish) way to protect the front element on his lens.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by filpee View Post
    Maybe his friend suggested a lens filter as its a cheap(ish) way to protect the front element on his lens.
    Not necessary, the front element glass is infinitely harder than the glass/plastic in most filters.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by filpee View Post
    Let me guess, a filter salesperson at Harvey Norman told you this urban myth ?

Lol

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Re UV filters, this is a good read....http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...-of-UV-filters

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to know what a UV filter does for an image - extra flare ? FIIK
    My theory is - if I have just paid Nikon $XXX for their finest lens the last thing i want to do is put $20 of junk glass in front of it and then complain my images are arent sharp.,..

Although I would suggest a Circular polarizer filter for the odd occasional use where needed.

and if you are careful and treat the camera well, you won't ever damage a lens
    Last edited by knumbnutz; 07-12-2011 at 10:54pm.
    A Birth Certificate shows that we were born.
    A Death Certificate shows that we died.
    Pictures show that we lived!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/knumbnutz/
    http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/neilmorgan

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L
    Re UV filters, this is a good read....http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...-of-UV-filters
    Thankyou, this was a good read

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My friend did suggest the uv filter as a protection method.... I'm glad I have researched it.

Thankyou everyone for your replies

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Not necessary, the front element glass is infinitely harder than the glass/plastic in most filters.
    But a UV filter is a heck of a lot easier to replace and well worth it when you are new to handling a camera

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sobriquet View Post
    But a UV filter is a heck of a lot easier to replace and well worth it when you are new to handling a camera
    For all the money down the drain on useless UV filters over the last 30 years I could have bought another 3 or more lenses.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is very useful info. Thanks all, and crystal too. I never thought of a flash yet...it's on the list!