Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  45
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why get a photographer

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And where did you say these came from? Flbbergasting!
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah Shelley, aren't birds nice and easy haha I bet you'll never complain about birds not co-operating again The 2 weddings I have been to lately have both had sergeant major type toggers, you know the ones, don't dare bring your camera up from your side until you have their permission and if you are the bride or groom stand perfectly still, exactly how they tell you to - OR ELSE
    Lloyd
    Canon 5D2+40D+L+Σ+S100
    Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
    Flickr

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes Lloyd, birds are my passion in photography. I enjoy people stuff, but at times I need to step back. Its funny cause I like to watch and catch that moment, rather than pose, but do request couples stay close and get people to squash up, with heads on certain angles etc. Its the little things that make the photos pop I think.

I processed some photos and I am rather pleased with them, especially when I think about how I felt when taking them. I love photography and enjoy learning new stuff all the time.
    Shelley
    (constructive criticism welcome)

www.shelleypearsonphotography.com

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffde View Post
    Had 1 bridezilla - what saved me was the fact that the minister had a gripe to me about the couple - so did the reception venue - they also didn't like their hair and makeup and walked out without paying - Oh and as we arrived at the house a bridesmaid was walking out - I knew that it wasn't me - good that i had changed my terms to payment before the day....

Good reason to have a contract - and if someone wasn't prepared to meet with me i wouldn't have taken the job. I don't take every wedding - it has to be a fit for both of you - if their expectations are to high - i say no.
    Yes, yes, yes. I know that I can do weddings now, it was never meant to be a big affair and I was treating it more like a photoshoot, as I have turned down weddings. I was struggling to make them understand a pose I wanted, everyone was looking at me like I was on another planet - but thankfully I got the shot and I think they will like it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Similar to my one wedding experience that I did at no cost for a good mate. Worst photography experience I have had, and has reinforced my overwhelming desire not to do weddings despite being asked a number of times now.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Maybe we need clauses in our wedding contracts that state:

12. Any hint of Bridezilla (as determined by the photographer)and the contract is null and void, and the photographer can pack up and leave,not supply any photos, not be held liable (legally or otherwise) for any lack of service, professionalism or any other agreed terms or conditions. For information on what is a Bridezilla *link to this thread*.

"It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Maybe we need clauses in our wedding contracts that state:

12. Any hint of Bridezilla (as determined by the photographer)and the contract is null and void, and the photographer can pack up and leave,not supply any photos, not be held liable (legally or otherwise) for any lack of service, professionalism or any other agreed terms or conditions. For information on what is a Bridezilla *link to this thread*.

I already have that in the fine print in my contract, where I will leave if I receive verbal or physical abuse or other shenanigans. But after 4 years I have never seen any of that. It all depends on how you market yourself and what type of clients you attract really.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post
    I already have that in the fine print in my contract, where I will leave if I receive verbal or physical abuse or other shenanigans. But after 4 years I have never seen any of that. It all depends on how you market yourself and what type of clients you attract really.
    I think also your experience helps and I certainly will be putting things into place to avoid this happening again. Its a first and fairly new for me.

Don't get me wrong she is a lovely girl, but I think very strong willed and used to getting her way. It was also 37 degrees - very hot outside. She was rude, but not abusive, just kept changing her mind.

I have to be honest and say I don't market myself, most of my work has been from clients contacting me and word of mouth.

When she contacts me my words to her will be something like "okay, what are your expectations from the photos and how did you think we went". I will be interested in her response. She also is very young.

The groom was lovely, nervous and gave me his attention, but he did adore his wife.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are to be commended Shelley. I don't have much patience for crap & would of packed up and walked away. I guess that's why I wouldn't even try doing weddings and such.

Good on you for keeping it together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't do a wedding for all the tea in China.
    I do parties and corporate stuff though.

Weddings bring out the worst in people.
    I guess that brides especially are very nervous and want the very best for the day and posing for photos is just a hinderance to them as they are so worried about a myriad of other things that photography is the last thing on their list.
    They figure that they are spending good money on the tog, so he/she HAS to do a great job regardless.
    Brides have so much to think about on the day and don't want the hassle of having to actually stop and pose, because they THINK that they have to look after every little thing about the wedding and reception.
    I think it's rare that a bride can actually relax and enjoy their own wedding as most weddings are about showing off to their friends and family at how much they have spent and how much trouble they went to.
    I've been to a number of weddings where they have spent tens of thousands of dollars on the wedding to make a big show, when they could have really used that money to put a deposit on a home, and I guess that would make me nervous too.

I pity wedding togs, I really do.
    It's a very tough job.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennymiata View Post
    I wouldn't do a wedding for all the tea in China.
    I do parties and corporate stuff though.

Weddings bring out the worst in people.
    I guess that brides especially are very nervous and want the very best for the day and posing for photos is just a hinderance to them as they are so worried about a myriad of other things that photography is the last thing on their list.
    They figure that they are spending good money on the tog, so he/she HAS to do a great job regardless.
    Brides have so much to think about on the day and don't want the hassle of having to actually stop and pose, because they THINK that they have to look after every little thing about the wedding and reception.
    I think it's rare that a bride can actually relax and enjoy their own wedding as most weddings are about showing off to their friends and family at how much they have spent and how much trouble they went to.
    I've been to a number of weddings where they have spent tens of thousands of dollars on the wedding to make a big show, when they could have really used that money to put a deposit on a home, and I guess that would make me nervous too.

I pity wedding togs, I really do.
    It's a very tough job.

I dont see it as a tough job, nor do I pity other colleagues. Wedding photography is a special field, possibly the hardest to achieve within a day IMO. You are being tested for many things, such as your leadership, communications skills, initiative, spontaneity and decision making on the fly. Not to mention its a combination of landscape, portrait, glamour, photo-journalism, and other genres rolled into an 8 or 12 or longer hour day. You have to balance between when to capture the shot, or when to create shots out of nothing, by directing or by chance or visualisation.

I actually pity those that wont do it or cant do it, as it shows they are afraid of challenges or pushing further in their comfort zone and skills. Among many things, it is a test of your own character and strengths and weaknesses in industry.
    Last edited by JM Tran; 08-12-2011 at 5:46pm.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont see it as a tough job, nor do I pity other colleagues...
    I actually pity those that wont do it or cant do it, as it shows they are afraid of challenges or pushing further in their comfort zone and skills. Among many things, it is a test of your own character and strengths and weaknesses in industry.
    Your statement describes an accomplishment. Along the way to achieving that people surely encounter all that has been said. Here they can state their cases for and against it.

A photographer is no less one if he or she does not do wedding photography.

Challenges come in many forms, as do comfort zones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Your statement describes an accomplishment. Along the way to achieving that people surely encounter all that has been said. Here they can state their cases for and against it.

Challenges come in many forms, as do comfort zones.
    I dont see it as an accomplishment, esp what I wrote. Most of us wedding photographers never do it long enough, or good enough to attain the status of a 'Master Photographer' - and it will always be a learning experience with every wedding that passes by.

Sorry I dont agree with that, some photography jobs and genres are simply easier and less challenging than others. Its a fact and common sense. Some genres require and/or demand more from the photographer, whereas some do not require much.
    Last edited by JM Tran; 08-12-2011 at 10:32pm.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK. But, as you have stated, "...its a fact and common sense..." is an assertion. I would agree that a wedding photographer requires many skills besides those of many other fields of photography, but does that means that if you are not a wedding photographer then skill in the other fields counts for less? To refer to your earlier post, here excerpted,
    ...I actually pity those that wont do it or cant do it, as it shows they are afraid of challenges or pushing further in their comfort zone and skills. Among many things, it is a test of your own character and strengths and weaknesses in industry...
    why expend so much disheartenment over so many who might otherwise be blissfully enjoying their chosen method of pursuing photography?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    OK. But, as you have stated, "...its a fact and common sense..." is an assertion. I would agree that a wedding photographer requires many skills besides those of many other fields of photography, but does that means that if you are not a wedding photographer then skill in the other fields counts for less? To refer to your earlier post, here excerpted,

why expend so much disheartenment over so many who might otherwise be blissfully enjoying their chosen method of pursuing photography?
    please dont take it out of context, I dont need to expend any disheartening remarks. But what I do notice is the increasing number of people who tend to make wide ranging comments like - oh I dont do weddings because I cant stand such and such - so to me, I see it as because you dont know how to handle yourself and other people? The first person to blame for anything is yourself, external factors come after.

but does that means that if you are not a wedding photographer then skill in the other fields counts for less?
    To me, Yes? I have done a few jobs in my formative years such as school formal photography studio shots, photos for carsales.com.au, even passport photos and office IDs. So yes, those skill sets involved in those jobs are less. I havent done Santa photography shots at shopping malls though, so cant comment on that one

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No need to pity me. I'm confident I could push my skills a little and get some reasonable wedding photos. But I don't have the people skills and patience etc to deal with everything that goes with producing results that people are, paying for and want. If that's my character, then you can consider it a weaknesses.
    Last edited by Mark L; 08-12-2011 at 11:35pm.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No need to pity me either as I also made one of the comments saying not interested in wedding photography.

I have plenty of achievements, goals, character tests, strengths (and weaknesses) in my regular occupation and sporting life. Photography is an outlet. Being an accomplished wedding photographer or not has no bearing on the items you mentioned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    No need to pity me either as I also made one of the comments saying not interested in wedding photography.

I have plenty of achievements, goals, character tests, strengths (and weaknesses) in my regular occupation and sporting life. Photography is an outlet. Being an accomplished wedding photographer or not has no bearing on the items you mentioned.
    Good on you Art Everyone is entitled to their opinions and views and thats what makes AP a great, diverse place doesnt it. But, seeing as this IS about photography solely, your sporting achievements and what you have done in life, arent really related to photography, or weddings.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good on you Art Everyone is entitled to their opinions and views and thats what makes AP a great, diverse place doesnt it. But, seeing as this IS about photography solely, your sporting achievements and what you have done in life, arent really related to photography, or weddings.
    Exactly my point. The lack of interest in wedding photography doesn't automatically mean someone is afraid of challenges and what not. It just means they couldn't be bothered as they have many other challenges with a higher priority photography related or otherwise.. That's not character a flaw. It means it's not the pinnacle of photography to them as it is to you.
    Last edited by Art Vandelay; 09-12-2011 at 12:07am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Exactly my point. The lack of interest in wedding photography doesn't automatically mean someone is afraid of challenges and what not. It just means they couldn't be bothered as they have many other challenges with a higher priority photography related or otherwise.. That's not character a flaw. It means it's not the pinnacle of photography to them as it is to you.
    Well, everyone has differing standards and levels of pinnacles obviously. I think you and Ameeraat have missed my point, my comment was directed at those that HAVE done weddings before, not those that have never done it nor have any wish to - you can do whatever you like thats not really my problem or focus here. Lets not further take things out of context here and hijack Shelley's thread.

But i'll be straightforward with one comment - A day of Wedding Photography is a test of one's character and photographic and communications skills, under stress and fatigue. That is my opinion and that of many other people who have been there and done that and doing other things, those that have been there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast