Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  45
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why get a photographer

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why get a photographer

I consider myself quite a tolerant person and try to understand whether others are coming from.

But, I just had a recent photography session, which left me quite exhausted and the stress caused me back spasms when I got home and quite uptight not knowing what to do with myself until the next day.

A young lady wanted me take some shots of her special day, supposed to be a very quiet wedding with no other people in the party other than the groom and some shots of family groups. Yeah, I can do that getting married at 2pm and time for a photoshoot afterwards. Week before wedding time changed to 12pm (aah, cannot cancel, oh well go with the flow and do my best). Emailed and explained the light would be an issue, but did not want to let them down. She was hard to pin down to meet, in the end I said I would not do the shoot, if I did not meet with them - so a quick meet week before the day.

Arrived on the big day, she said she would be dressed by 11.30, leaving at 11.50 I had to leave before them to get to the park. Ok, did the dress, macros on rings flowers etc. couple of the bride and the bridesmaid now in the wedding party. Just before I was leaving, she said "you need to be finished by 1.30pm "what, your getting married at 12 (she obviously would arrive late), I wont get shots, you said that we could go until 3.30-4ish" "that is it, there is another wedding there".

I left, was thirsty as (it was very hot) trying to get out of the suburb to head to the park - kept counting to myself saying "its okay Shelley, stay cool, turn the air conditioning on".

It gets worse - she was not interested in posing, kept moving away, wouldn't tuck her head in when I told her - I stopped for a minute and contemplated walking away. I had an assistant, who is very good in organising and arranging people for me, she was flabbergasted by the whole situation. I wont go into further detail. I quickly looked at my photos, and I do have some nice shots, but I know I could have done so much better.

I learned something - I will definitely lay out my terms for big events and if they choose not to use me, then that is fine by me.

But, also why did she want a photographer? Have you been in a situation, without naming, obviously that is beyond your control, would you have walked away.
    Shelley
    (constructive criticism welcome)

www.shelleypearsonphotography.com

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ahhh. Bridezille is alive and well in WA..

Next you will get the complaints about the photos you have taken. You are not alone Shelley.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes next you will be the worst photographer on the planet, and all phototogs are just gold diggers and she could have done sooooooo much better with her p&s

some people are just so aghhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Canon 6d, 7d , 40d, 100-400L, 24-105Lmm, 50mm 1.8, 28-135 and a sigma 18-200
    Aquatech underwater housing
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/neilpoulton/

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol, thanks I didn't dream that it could get even worse now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more you charge the more you'll be valued I think (I'm assuming it was a low budget affair?)

Not much you can do with nasty people with little respect
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ahhhh one of the reasons why I dont get out of bed for budget weddings

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I where you (the OP) I would make sure that every detail of the day, and how it differed to your understaning of how it would be, was diarised because the bride may blame you for the 'terrible' pictures. You need to be able to defend yourself if it comes to it. Bummer...

JJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The very reasons I refuse to do weddings!!!

I only do so for very close family and friends when I know it will be pleasant for me and all involved.
    I will leave this Genre to the professionals who are passionate about it................for those that ask, I have a sock draw to tidy!!
    Cheers and Happy Shooting
    Cindy

Canon 7D, 50mm, 100mm Macro
    Olympus E-30, 9-18mm, 14-54mm, 50-200mm
    Photoshop CS5

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    The more you charge the more you'll be valued I think (I'm assuming it was a low budget affair?)

Not much you can do with nasty people with little respect
    Spot on Kiwi, I felt sorry for her, they have no money (I know that for sure) - so only charged a small amount to cover my time at the park. I only did that because I don't want to be known for freebies and a soft touch. I am a sucker for helping young kids and would not take advantage of them.

I was not going to the reception, she asked me afterwards and offered me more money, I said no as my husband was flying out to go overseas today.

I have upped my prices and people are paying for my photoshoots. Weddings, will have a higher price tag now, if I decide to accept another. I do have one - but that is different.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have to enjoy doing the under all conditions, mid day, hit, bridezillas and everything

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enjoy hit bridezillas, lol. Ooops.

I learned that I can handle light under all conditions, but cannot handle bridezillas.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, hit = hot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
    Enjoy hit bridezillas, lol. Ooops.

I learned that I can handle light under all conditions, but cannot handle bridezillas.......
    you have to if u want to play the wedding game and be taken seriously Shelley

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post
    you have to if u want to play the wedding game and be taken seriously Shelley
    Yes I know and I kept smiling. Its interesting as when I spoke to other photographers they all knew. My daughter who recently got married, was just gorgeous. I did prep her and her husband for the photographer.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Hmm, hit = hot

I thought 'hit' was more appropriate in this case!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had 1 bridezilla - what saved me was the fact that the minister had a gripe to me about the couple - so did the reception venue - they also didn't like their hair and makeup and walked out without paying - Oh and as we arrived at the house a bridesmaid was walking out - I knew that it wasn't me - good that i had changed my terms to payment before the day....

Good reason to have a contract - and if someone wasn't prepared to meet with me i wouldn't have taken the job. I don't take every wedding - it has to be a fit for both of you - if their expectations are to high - i say no.
    Jeff - Jeff D Photography
    Canon -
    http://jeffdphoto.ifp3.com/
    www.jeffdphotography.com.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a nightmare, Shelley. Don't know if I'd ever be game enough to try a wedding.
    Michaela

Comments and critique always welcome and appreciated.

My photos on Flickr
    Canon 5D Mk III | 7D | Assorted Canon Lenses

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then there's the couples who say "We don't want any posed photos. We just want you to photograph us enjoying the day". They're both as dull as dishwater and you could follow them around for ten years and still not catch them displaying any sign of love for each other, or any indication that they're enjoying the day.

I also have had the one where the bride was too drunk to stand up for the photos and the groom went back to his room to get another bottle of spirits.

Or the one where the bride didn't want any photos of herself on her own.

Or the one where the bride saw me taking photos of one of the guests with her toddler, and came up and told me she didn't want any of those photos, so I better delete them.

Or the one where the mother started yelling at me telling me not to take any photos of her daughter (the bride) with her step-mother because, "She's not her mother. I am."

Is there a war story thread here?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by camerasnoop View Post
    Then there's the couples who say "We don't want any posed photos. We just want you to photograph us enjoying the day". They're both as dull as dishwater and you could follow them around for ten years and still not catch them displaying any sign of love for each other, or any indication that they're enjoying the day.

I also have had the one where the bride was too drunk to stand up for the photos and the groom went back to his room to get another bottle of spirits.

Or the one where the bride didn't want any photos of herself on her own.

Or the one where the bride saw me taking photos of one of the guests with her toddler, and came up and told me she didn't want any of those photos, so I better delete them.

Or the one where the mother started yelling at me telling me not to take any photos of her daughter (the bride) with her step-mother because, "She's not her mother. I am."

Is there a war story thread here?
    sounds like the 'budget' crowd u are working with there

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely JM, and I'm still too expensive for some of them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast