User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Thailand - take the tripod? Carry On...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thailand - take the tripod? Carry On...

Morning all,

Conundrum... Flying Jetstar in Feb to Thailand, carry on luggage only. Do I take the tripod? It's a Manfrotto 730. Not sure it I will *need* the thing, going over there to meet up with a few mates and put my feet up for a bit. Will be checking out beaches, jungles, cities etc - the "usual" holiday stuff.

Second part of the question - will they let me carry the tripod on board?
    It will fit into the carry on luggage bag no problems, but worried about any new security rules etc. Don't want to have to dump the thing at the airport because they can't be carried on anymore.

Thanks in advance.

Red

60D Gripped- EFS 18-55mm, 18-135mm, Nifty50, YN565, Manfrotto, CarrySpeed Strap and a long wish list.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/redbaronflash/
    http://razzi.me/redflash

"Just trying to have a little bit of fun folks, that's all." Dean Martin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tripod carrying on Jetstar either with tripod bag or naked is fine, I have done it many times.

I would probably say no and leave it at home, since you are mainly going for fun. It also depends where you are going as well in Thailand.
    Last edited by JM Tran; 05-12-2011 at 12:51pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would leave it at home and just get a Gorillapod for the trip.............there if you need it! Not much space taken up if you don't!

Enjoy the relax
    Cheers and Happy Shooting
    Cindy

Canon 7D, 50mm, 100mm Macro
    Olympus E-30, 9-18mm, 14-54mm, 50-200mm
    Photoshop CS5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    get a cheap travel tripod. Not much money, light, more compact and just in case you do need it I`d take one.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get one of the compact, lightweight traveller style tripods, well wort the spend and can use it as a backup to a larger, heavier tripod.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone - was thinking of a lighter one to buy once I'm over there as well - one of the reasons was to give long exposures a shot, from the hotel balconies of a night time, but I guess a little one propped on a table of some sorts will do the job. Have a remote controller which should help too.

66 days till take off....

Bangkok, Ban Phe, Kanchanaburi (River Kwai), Samui and Phuket are on the agenda for those who asked.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One more thing - will a smaller tripod like the gorilla take the weight of the 70-300L? Will be buying it over there along with the 24-105L. Don't think I'll have any trouble with the 24-105 but the longer heavier may pose a problem?

Thanks again

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my advice is probably a little different to the above.
    bringing a tripod really depends on what you are shooting and your purpose of the holiday. If you are planning on doing long exposure landscapes and creative long exposures (say of bangkok traffic light trails etc), then bring the good stuff! If you're not serious about using the tripod , then it doesn't matter what you bring (gorillapod etc) but if you're serious on taking good images which require a tripod, then I would not skimp! Nothing worse than going over there on a photo mission only to end up thinking - gee, I wish I had brought 'x' piece of gear along ; and even worse, gee, I won't be able to take this picture I want to , and I won't be coming back here again!

If your purpose is going and having fun without worrying too much about photos, then the advice I'd give is far different from if you're going over there with photography primarily in mind (which these days, tends to be my personal focus of travel )
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are planning on doing long exposure landscapes and creative long exposures (say of bangkok traffic light trails etc), then bring the good stuff!

Exactly..... Think I'll take it - it aint that big when folded, will fit in my carry on, and when I buy a big suitcase over there (have check in baggage on the way back) I don't think I'll fill that one with shopping.