Thread: Some togs disgust me

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some togs disgust me

Hi All

I was lucky (and I mean lucky) to work with a very beautiful model today. I say lucky because as we were working together she told me some horror stories of togs she has worked with over the last couple of weeks (one the day before our shoot).

This lady chooses to travel by public transport to a shoot - so it is not easy for her to just walk out. She is not a naive 18 old model - she is late 20's.

In the first instance (day before our shoot) - she was doing some implied work, and the photographer an hour or so into the shoot, told her how much he would like to engage in sexual activity with her (but in a less polite manner - if there is one). I don't really want to go into details but lets just say it scared her enough to almost make her give up modelling completely.

The second instance happened a couple of weeks before - half way through the shoot the photographer suggested she should do a couples shoot together. He was quite difficult to understand (English not first language) - and after some insistence, and just to appease him she nodded would do a couples shoot. When the guys started removing his jeans and suggested she take a good close look at his manhood - once again don't want to go into details, but she once again had a few uncomfortable moments before a taxi arrived.

In both instances these togs are not young inexperience people. One claims he shoots for men's magazines (and she did not want to be involved with this either). In my personal opinion this is disgusting behaviour by disgusting people who use photography (and MM) to "score" with models. They give the rest of us genuine togs a very poor name.

I was lucky in this case, as when the model got home last night she rang a friend of a model I had worked with last week - my credentials were verified by the previous model and we had a fantastic day - and I apologised to her from all us genuine togs who respect every model we ever work with.
    www.kjbphotography.com.au

1DxII, EOS R, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-200 F4IS, 24-70 F2.8 II, 16-35 F4IS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are some people who see any opportunity for this form of extra curricula activity worthy of an attempt and there are certain professions where a state of undress or pose means more attempts will be made. Thanks for being someone who does not try to take advantage of such a situation. It is not a matter of those people being photographers (although it is one profession where models will be subject to such attention) it is a matter of how those people (men, in this case but not exclusively) view circumstances of this nature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats why it's recommended on mm to check reference before working with someone.
    kevinLi - Melbourne fashion, advertising photographer/assistant

kevinLi Portfolio | kevinLi Blog | 500px

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    There are some people who see any opportunity for this form of extra curricula activity worthy of an attempt and there are certain professions where a state of undress or pose means more attempts will be made. Thanks for being someone who does not try to take advantage of such a situation. It is not a matter of those people being photographers (although it is one profession where models will be subject to such attention) it is a matter of how those people (men, in this case but not exclusively) view circumstances of this nature.
    Unfortunately what you say is so true. I suppose my OP is a little heated, but I really felt for this young lady being subjected to such vile behaviour. There are other stories also, but really it is not about what happened - it is more about it does happen.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KLi View Post
    Thats why it's recommended on mm to check reference before working with someone.
    In theory this works great but do you always check the models back ground before you work with her? In my experience when I am contacted, or I contact a model, we could have an exchange of up to 50+ messages between us. I tend to get a feeling from these messages what the model will be like to work with. It is not unusual to have never spoken or seen the model until the actual day of the shoot. I work full time and although I have every intention of meeting up with a model before the shoot - sometimes I am afraid time gets the better of me (and the model) and this does not happen.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The model should have reported it to the police. I dare say that if the police went through their computers, there would be enough to close them down.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    These sleaze bags exist across society, and need to be dealt with immediately. I agree with Geoff that they need to be reported to MM and the police.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And there we go. Some deviate low life making a bad representation of true photographers. This scenario applies to so many areas. I love the cute and candid photography of kids in play, especially at the horse shows I go to of the little ones riding these little ponies. But again, scum of our society make anyone pointing a camera at a child a pervert - I hate what this has done.

Now of course, any photography would be telling a white lie if he or she said they did not appreciate the looks of beautiful models, but that should be as far as it goes. As a photographer you are capturing the beauty of the shot and or what it should represent for the client and it makes my skin crawl to think how awful it must be for these girls to be put in such situations. Sadly, I think there are probably many situations of this occurring.

Brian, I applaud you for showing this model that there are professional togs in the industry with integrity and good moral standing.

Man, this makes my blood boil.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some people are slimy sleazes. Sadly some of those slimy sleazes also take photos.
    BTW Some Doctors, Lawyers, Architects, Police, Factory workers, Construction workers, Teachers, etc. are slimy sleazes
    (both genders, just check the mum in Tas pimping her 12yo daughter), and some of those also take photos.

You have to be careful!
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys - I know in my original post I am short on details because in the end it is her word against his - but I have no reason to doubt her word.

I did not ask the photographers name - but I have since been sent his MM# which does link to his web page. I will tell you it is sleazy and short on examples of the work he does. He proposes to do the work but there is very little actual evidence he has been successful at doing it.

My blood is still boiling on this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are unfortunately 'Bad Apples' in every barrel...........getting rid of the leeches is the hard part.
    Well done for stepping up and being an advocate for the models!!
    Cheers and Happy Shooting
    Cindy

Canon 7D, 50mm, 100mm Macro
    Olympus E-30, 9-18mm, 14-54mm, 50-200mm
    Photoshop CS5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffsta View Post
    The model should have reported it to the police. I dare say that if the police went through their computers, there would be enough to close them down.
    I doubt the police would have the right to search through the PC but sleeze bags should be reported. Indecent exposure for the second and sexual harassment for the 1st, I am no layer but it seems its hard to rid society of the unwanted social behaviors that exist amongst us. We can only bring up our kids with strong moral grounding, lead by example and hope that they follow that example throughout their life.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    These sleaze bags exist across society, and need to be dealt with immediately. I agree with Geoff that they need to be reported to MM and the police.
    Sadly in cases as the above it is her word against his. Add to that the ongoing saga of what happens at the next step in the process most people just let is slide. It is just so time consuming and sometimes expensive to take the next step and report it to the police - in the end he gets a slap on the wrist and goes back to working as a sleaze bag.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian500au View Post
    Sadly in cases as the above it is her word against his.
    Having been filled in on the details, knowing and speaking to the model involved I have no doubt in my mind that her side of the story is correct.

There is such a thing as Karma.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.