User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: 600D with Lens with budget

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

600D with Lens with budget

Hey I'm in the process of getting a 600D and I need some advice. It will be used for macro with insects, bugs, flowers and I have found this would this do an appropriate job or do I need to go to a 90mm?

*REMOVED : see site rules 3-7 : admin*

Secondly, we will be going overseas next year so are looking at a landscape type lens with a decent zoom on it. I am looking at a Tamron AF70-300 F/4-5.6 DI for $200 second hand would this do a good job?

My wife recently entered the Canon 5 comp and just did a course last weekend but I'm trying not to sound to obvious by asking to many questions.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by ricktas; 05-12-2011 at 7:59am.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgot to add budget is $1200. Would it be worth using the existing lens we have from the 300D twin lens kit or are those lens?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure you'll be happy with the 600D.
    It's a great camera with good features and a very good sensor, and the flip-put screen is excellent and very useful too.
    Especially for macro work.

Some may disagree here, but if you buy grey, your $$ will go much further than if you buy at Ted's or JB for example.

For landscapes, you'll need something wider than the 50mm, although you can buy the 50mm F1.8 lens for around $100 grey, so it's not a bank breaker.
    Your old kit lenses will work fine on the 600D, but the quality of the images and speed of autofocus etc., is not exactly top-notch.

A 90mm macro will be fine for insects, but if you like to photograph large flowers, it may be a bit too long.
    The Canon EF-s 60mm macro is a wonderful lens for flowers and at around $470 delivered grey, it is a good useful lens for not just macro, but portaits too.
    The smaller the insects you want to photograph, the longer the lens should be, as the shorter macros will force you to get very close to the insect, and you might frighten them off. The closer you have to be, the more limited you will be with lighting too.
    I have a Canon 60mm macro, and need to use a ring flash for close macro work.

A 90mm or 100-105 length is very good to use for small insects, and my personal recomendation for that length would be the new Sigma 105mm if you can't afford the Canon 100mmL lens. You can use a 105mm for flowers too, you just have to stand a little further away is all.

Good luck with your purchase.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your twin kit from the 350D is the 18-55/55-250 they will work fine with the new camera, and probably wouldn't be a bad travel kit.

You mentioned your budget is $1200 - I'd be looking at http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/canon-eos-600d-body/ kogan - $669 plus delivery ($50 odd from memory).
    Regarding lenses, there are two of the Tamron 70-300 mm you mention, one (Di LD Macro) is known to be not too good and sells for around $200 or less on Ebay, the other is reviewed as better than the Canon and goes for around $450 new online (Ebay/B&H etc - it has VC USD in the title, and is a rather new lens) .

The only other thing to do would be to get rid of the 55-250 you (may) have already, and use the 18-55 for closer shots, and maybe buy a flash.

Have a good trip!
    60D Gripped- EFS 18-55mm, 18-135mm, Nifty50, YN565, Manfrotto, CarrySpeed Strap and a long wish list.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/redbaronflash/
    http://razzi.me/redflash

"Just trying to have a little bit of fun folks, that's all." Dean Martin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just bought the 600D for my son,great value camera.I own a 60 mm EF-S canon lens and use it for macro-I have been very happy with results.I would not recommend a non 'camera brand' lens to you.Yes-they are very good and great value.But once you have a brand of camera-regardless if its canon or nikon etc-Its best to stick with their gear-as you are in a 'system'.Once you start buying other pieces of equipment they will all mix and match.A canon ring flash etc will fit on to canon lenses.

I have always stuck with the 'in house' gear from a given manufacturer,and it just avoids headaches of pieces
    not fitting together in the field.

Also look at the Canon 100 mm EF lens (not the L one) but the black one -outstanding lens.

good luck.
    Canon 50D and 450D - Canon 10-22 F3.5-5.6, 17-55 F2.8 L, 70-200 F2.8 L, 400 prime F5.6 L, 60mm F2.8 macro, EX 430 Flash,and all sorts of other bits and pieces