User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Vari ND filter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vari ND filter

Hey I am looking to get a Vari ND filter to shoot large aperture with flash when the sun is bright. I figure that I will need 3-5 stops depending on how bright it is so a vari filter might be better then having a set of different stop filters.

Any one have experience with vari ND filters?
    kevinLi - Melbourne fashion, advertising photographer/assistant

kevinLi Portfolio | kevinLi Blog | 500px

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Singh-Ray, and from all the reports I've read, it's the duck's guts.

Mine works very well and is cheaper than buying a number of good quality ND's.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennymiata View Post
    I have a Singh-Ray, and from all the reports I've read, it's the duck's guts.
    It's *almost* the ducks guts. That honour goes to the German-made Heliopan variable ND - glass by Zeiss, ultra-thin, hard-stop markings across 1-6.6 stops of light, and introduces little or no colour shift or chromatic aberration. Starts at about $350 for a 77mm and recommended by cinematographer Phillip Bloom (who claims to have "tried them all")

According to Phillip, the Singh-Ray is almost as good, but introduces some colour shift; its advantage over the Heliopan is that it does not vignette at 11mm, whereas the Heliopan introduces a very slight vignette.

For high quality at a good value price, I would go with the Series II Variable NDs from Lightcraft Workshop. I have one in 77mm, and it's excellent. It is the first choice of most of us indie DSLR filmmakers, because of its quality and price.
    --=3 In Veritas Lux E=--
    Bodies: Canon EOS 5D Mk II, Canon EOS 550D
    Lenses: EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Strobist: 2 x Speedlite 580EXII, 4 x Yongnuo RF-603 Radio Tranceivers, Yongnuo ST-E2 IR Transmitter
    3 x Manfrotto Light Stands, 2 x Softboxes, 2 x Bounce Brollies
    Tripod: Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT, PH-50 Panhead

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would agree with the above about heliopan - we have had great experience with our 10 stopper though not with a variND.
    Given that you're wanting 3-5 stops, the lightcraft version might be OK but as a warning, you won't be able to extend it beyond 5-6 stops before bizarre cross polarisation starts to occur - for that reason I've actually stopped using it entirely.
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS 5dmk3 : 17-40 F4 L, 70-200F2.8 canon L, 24-70mm canon L, Gitzo Safari +1178 ballhead. |Canon 5dmkII, 16-35mmF2.8 II L, Gitzo 2541 )
    Singh Ray/Hitech/Lee assorted filters, Z pro modified system Cokin holder
    Post : Lightroom 3.6 catalogue -> Export as 16bit TIFF, Edited CS5 -> resized for web.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Lightcraft workshop ND8~ND400 for half year.
    It's work fine and price is only around $125 from ebay.

But I only use it for landscape. I always avoid take shoot under sunshine.