Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Need Help with Lenses for 60d

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need Help with Lenses for 60d

[top]Need Help with Lenses

I am in ther market for a new dslr and think that I am getting the Canon 60D. I am starting a photography course at the start of next year and am just trying to purchase the camera and some suitable lenses.

I was originally going to get one of the camera lens kits (either the 60D that comes with the Canon EF-S 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 IS or the 60D that comes with the Twin kit with 18-55 II and 55-250mm IS Lens) however I think I have decided that I would rather get lenses that I actually want that have better features and aperture etc

Basically I want a Prime and a zoom to get started.

I was looking at the 50mm f1.8 prime as its cheap and every where I read people say its a great lens for the price and easy to learn with. However I had someone mention to me that The only problem is that a 50mm on a the cropped sensor of the 60D makes it look more like a longer 85mm lens? and suggested the 28mm f/2.8 instead?

My aim in the "future" is to do portrait photos of kids/adults/families both indoors with lighting setup and outdoors of kids etc.

Here are some of the lenses which have been on my list:

Basically just gotta see how much im up for as to which aperture I get
    50mm (either in the F1.4 or the F1.8)
    28mm (either in the F1.8 or the F2.8)

In regards to Zoom's
    Tamron 28-75 F2.8
    Canon 15-85 F3.5-5.6
    Tamron 17-50mm F2.8
    Canon 28-135mm F3.5-5.6

Help Help Im so confused, If you could please tell me what you would get or some advise I would greatly appreciate it! im willing to spend up to about 600 on the zoom.

Just really want some good stuff to start of with so im not wanting to upgrade straight away

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    considering the 28mm EF costs 350+ dollars or so, I would recommend just getting the 50mm.

The 50mm is a fantastic lens, use it with my 60D. it does feel a bit tight at times, but if you've never used a FF camera then you wouldn't know any better what it "should" feel like.

The lens is perfect for taking portrait shots, works great indoors with it's low aperture.
    I'd recomend getting the 50mm F1.4 over the 28 F2.8 personally

in regards to the zoom lens, I'd stick with the 18-55 for now, it's a good everyday lens and very versatile, with the lenses you listed I don't see many being a "huge" improvement over it, especially when you're just starting out.

just a photo I thought I'd share with you that I took using the 60D and the F1.8

1 by J Cyza, on Flickr
    Canon 60D - 24-105 F4 L - Sigma 10-20 - Kit lenses - 50mm F:1.8 - Tamron 90mm F:2.8 Macro - 430 exII _ Extension Tube Set

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alana555 View Post
    . . . a new dslr and think that I am getting the Canon 60D. I am starting a photography course at the start of next year and am just trying to purchase the camera and some suitable lenses. . . I think I have decided that I would rather get lenses that I actually want that have better features and aperture etc . . . I want a Prime and a zoom to get started. I was looking at the 50mm f1.8 prime as its cheap . . . someone mention to me that The only problem is that a 50mm on a the cropped sensor of the 60D makes it look more like a longer 85mm lens? and suggested the 28mm f/2.8 instead? My aim in the "future" is to do portrait photos of kids/adults/families both indoors with lighting setup and outdoors of kids etc.

Here are some of the lenses which have been on my list: etc . . .
    Just really want some good stuff to start off with so im not wanting to upgrade straight away

Firstly, it is very most likely that for the Photography Course, the camera and the EF-S 18 to 55F/3.5~5.6 will suffice.

However answering the questions with respect to better lenses and more aperture range and etc –

The Tamron 17 to 50F/2.8 would be the pick of that list as it represents a standard zoom and has a non-varying (fast) maximum aperture of F/2.8.
    Whilst the Canon 15 to 85 has a greater Focal Length Range, as you prioritize aperture – this 15~85 lens is NO improvement to the 18 to 55 Kit Lens, in this regard.
    The Tamron 28 to 75 provides you with NO wide.
    The Canon 28~135 gives you even more FL than the 15~85 – but again, there is NO aperture improvement on the kit lens also has NO wide.

If you decide on the Tamron 17 to 50F/2.8, then it is pointless buying a 28/2.8.

Also – if you buy the Tamron 17 to 50F/2.8, the decision for buying any PRIME lens in the same FL range, will be predicated on requiring and APPLYING the faster aperture of that Prime Lens.

Basically there are TWO applications of very fast aperture:
    1. To arrest MOTION – either Subject Motion or Camera Shake
    2. To exploit Very Shallow DoF (Depth of Field)
    If you buy the Tamron Vibration Control version of their lens, then Camera Shake is to some extent covered, but a fast Aperture is still required to arrest Subject Movement.

Therefore I suggest you should consider what the most likely shooting scenarios you wish to exploit will be – and take into consideration that (for most cases) the exploitation of Shallow DoF is NOT as relevant as the stopping of Subject Motion when discussing contrasting and comparing F/2.8 to F/1.4. – (for example you can get very shallow DoF Portrait with the Tamron 17~50 at FL=50mm at Av =F/2.8)

So – as two practical examples – my advice is you first consider when it will be likely that you will want to arrest Subject Motion . . . If it is taking Available Light shots of people inside the house or at a party etc – then the 28/1.8 will likely be the better lens to choose, because inside the Lounge-room, you will be space poor.

On the other hand, if you want to shoot Gymnastics then an 85/1.8 will likely be better suited.
    Also, note that the addition of (for example) an 85/1.8 extends the FL range of your kit, rather than doubling up on Focal Lengths.

In summary:

I suggest to a student with an APS-C camera, who thinks they will engage in general Events and Portraiture Photography they make their "on a budget, best value for money" base kit with a 17 to 50ish F/2.8 Zoom; and 85/1.8 Prime; and a dedicated Flash; and Off Camera Cord - a 430MkII would suffice.
    I recommend the EF-S 17 to 55F/2.8IS USM, but that is more expensive than the Tamron, which appears a good lens also: I have not used either Tamron Lens.

Reiterating - as you are buying only two lenses and are budget restricted:

IF you decide on any F/2.8 zoom lens which crosses the 50mm Focal Length Range,
    THEN it would be a very poor choice to buy either the EF50/1.8 or the 50/1.4 solely because it is “a good Portrait lens on a 60D” and it is more poor a choice to buy something just beacsue it is cheap, if there is no leverage and practical use in buying it.

WW
    Last edited by William W; 04-12-2011 at 4:11pm.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to AP alana555
    William W's post is way more informative than I could be, however if you take a little time to search previous threats here, I reckon you will become more informed on what you wish to know.
    Good luck and check out New To Photography in the Library area. It's not a bad photography course (and it's free).
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all so much for your wonderful advice I really do appreciate it.

William I cant thank you enough for your very informative reply. So you think my best bet is the:
    Canon 60d,
    Tamron 17-50mm F2.8
    85mm F1.8 (as there is no need for the 50mm as its covered in the 17-50mm?)
    and an external flash such as the 430 and the off-camera cord

Sorry can you please confirm that this is the Off-camera cord you are referring to? "OCSC3 Off Camera Shoe Cord"

Thanks for all your help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also you can look out for used equipment, as it can save you money, as can buying grey imports rather than from Teds or JB etc.

The savings are significant.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    . . .so you think my best bet is the:
    Canon 60d,
    Tamron 17-50mm F2.8
    85mm F1.8 (as there is no need for the 50mm as its covered in the 17-50mm?)
    and an external flash such as the 430 and the off-camera cord
    No, not exactly.

I wrote what, in my professional and experienced opinion, is the very best answer the questions you asked.

In other words I responded to exactly what you wrote.
    If you had written: “I am new to Photography and I am taking a Course next year what should I buy?”
    I would have written something like: “Unless the Course specifies, buy an entry level DSLR and the Kit Lens.”

But in your question you had already dismissed those options and listed some zoom lenses, of which the best lens to fit YOUR criteria is the Tamron 17 to 50/2.8.

As I mentioned I suggest the BEST all round standard zoom lens for that camera is the EF-S 17 to 55F/2.8 IS USM: but that lens might be outside your budget criteria.
    But I mentioned that Canon lens because you wrote: “I think I have decided that I would rather get lenses that I actually want that have better features and aperture etc . . . Just really want some good stuff to start of with”

I added my “In Summary”, because you wrote that you are “in the market for a new dslr” and that could mean you have Photographic experience and have previously used DSLR’s or SLR’s – I don’t know.

I neither assumed you were a novice nor experienced but rather tried to give a general answer citing samples of different shooting scenarios and the reasons why one would choose a specific Zoom / Prime Pair.

The 17 to 50ish F/2.8 and 85/1.8 pair is a standard general suggestion for beginning a W&P Kit with an APS-C Camera - obviously the Flash is necessary also, but I included the OCC because that allows flexibility especially for Portraiture.

can you please confirm that this is the Off-camera cord you are referring to? "OCSC3 Off Camera Shoe Cord"
    Yes.
    There are third party cords, some are not “E-TTL” compatible and are useless.

The more specific the question asked; and the more specific the outcomes required are described: the more tailored the answer can be.

You are welcome.

WW