User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: EXIF Data

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EXIF Data

Sorry if its been covered, i done a quick search and couldnt find anything..

Why is it some images i can view the EXIF data, some i cant?

Do some users purposely hide this info from others? im confused lol

Viewing this data gives us (me) begginer/novices a better understanding as to how these images were captured.

Wayne.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I generally have to save a copy of any image to my computer, then view properties, and then view "summary" (I think that's it) to be able to see any data at all. I rarely bother doing it unless I'm really keen to learn how they did something. I'm guessing that some of the methods of preparing the photos ready to put them up here, might strip out the exif, either deliberately or unintentionally.
    It would be a little sad if people are deliberately stopping people seeing how they got the result. It would certainly hinder learning.
    Canon EOS 60D ..... EFS 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS - 430 EXII Speedlite - "eBay special" Remote Control Unit - Manfrotto 190XPROB w 804RC2 head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    some methods of saving strips exif. Some people dont want their EXIF attached either
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks guys for the quick replies. Using firefox i just right click on the image, then go to "view EXIF data" most come up, some dont.

I like to learn how images have been captured, its really interesting to see the various styles people use.

Cheers,

Wayne

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In photoshop : File Save As retains EXIF, File Save for Web, strips it.

The removal of EXIF can be a conscious choice, or just a side-effect of the persons processing workflow.

On AP, we have no rules regarding EXIF, and we leave it entirely up to members to choose to include or not. You can always ask a member if you want to know the details, if they have not included EXIF.

Note that the Ausphotography competition system strips EXIF from all entries as EXIF can contain information the reveals the photographers details, and as our comps are primarily anonymous, stripping EXIF means we ensure any identifying information is removed. The removal of EXIF data is done at the time of upload and entry to the competition.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    In photoshop : File Save As retains EXIF, File Save for Web, strips it.
    Depending on what version of PS you have, in CS5 if you choose to or not, you check the Metadata box, and it will do several functions, and also copyright function if set, can be added with this feature. I think, but not sure, when PS CS5 first installed, it's left as checked to show all EXIF data.

This will only help show what an original image was/how taken at the time. It won't help with any Post Processing techniques used.

I find the best way is to ask what was done to develop their image and why they choose to do this. Build your techniques for PPing from there, But I also always try to get the best, sharpest image I can firstly, less PPing later, and I generally feel happier about getting my images.

Hope this helps. Firefox + Add-on is the way to go.
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure for everyone else, but I'm using Firefox and I didn't have an option to view exif data, so I looked at available add-ons, and found you have to add-on the exif viewer add-on to be able to right click and choose view exif.
    It also seems to vary on if it's locally stored, or remotely stored, as to whether to use "View link EXIF data" or "View image EXIF data" sometimes you get both options, and if you choose the wrong one, it doesn't work, but the other option will.