User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  9
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How important do you think IS is?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Forum" is where we discuss and share information - no?
    It is also for sharing and discussing photos as well, not purely technical details.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your meaning?
    As no particular topic was mentioned for exclusive discussion and sharing.

WW
    Last edited by William W; 13-12-2011 at 2:23pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    Your meaning?
    As no particular topic was mentioned for exclusive discussion and sharing.

WW

quite obvious, meaning the majority of your posts tend to focus on very technical aspects of photography. We on AP would like to see more of your photos shared on here and not exclusively about 'arresting motion' of a lens or whatnot. You know what they say, knowledge only goes so far without photos to back it up.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for answering.
    Yes, it appeared obvious in meaning.
    But it was best to draw out exactly what the meaning was and not leave it veiled in quips and what could be interpreted as sardonic innuendo.

One chooses to post information on the topics of one's choosing making comment which one assumes will be useful or of assistance to others.
    However others can take the comments on board or ignore them.
    When necessary, suitable images have been posted to assist the understanding and meaning of the text.

It occurs to me as strange, that there would be such a strong linkage between knowledge, experience and the provision of comments and the posting a few photos.
    Both knowledege and experience are often expressed in words only, written and spoken.

Moreover, it occurs to me as more strange that one needs post more images, than have already been posted, to be deemed worthwhile as a commentator.

Also, the deeming (or not) of being worthwhile as a commentator by a Grand Poobah apparently representing the “we here”, can also be taken on board or ignored and might or might not be of concern, anyway.

And, that expression of "what they say about how far knowledg goes" had not been cited before: is it an original of yours?

WW
    Last edited by William W; 13-12-2011 at 3:44pm.

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do find the discussions by "William W" and others to be interesting and knowledgeable. I enjoy reading them even though they are way above my capacity at this stage but it does allow me to "be inspired" to learn a bit more.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    IS/OS/VR has only been available for the past 10 years or so, prior to that, the last 180 odd years of photography did not have IS/OS/VR, and some of the best photos ever taken, were taken in that period.

Can it be handy, yes, is it necessary, NO.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for answering.
    Yes, it appeared obvious in meaning.
    But it was best to draw out exactly what the meaning was and not leave it veiled in quips and what could be interpreted as sardonic innuendo.

One chooses to post information on the topics of one's choosing making comment which one assumes will be useful or of assistance to others.
    However others can take the comments on board or ignore them.
    When necessary, suitable images have been posted to assist the understanding and meaning of the text.

It occurs to me as strange, that there would be such a strong linkage between knowledge, experience and the provision of comments and the posting a few photos.
    Both knowledege and experience are often expressed in words only, written and spoken.

Moreover, it occurs to me as more strange that one needs post more images, than have already been posted, to be deemed worthwhile as a commentator.

Also, the deeming (or not) of being worthwhile as a commentator by a Grand Poobah apparently representing the “we here”, can also be taken on board or ignored and might or might not be of concern, anyway.

And, that expression of "what they say about how far knowledg goes" had not been cited before: is it an original of yours?

WW

You know what they say in life right, do you talk the talk as well as you walk the walk? Being a photography forum, images is what really reinforces a good photographer, not what they know for technical knowledge as that is only a part of it, because really - a photograph is the end product. In reality, many people tend to respect those that can back up what they say by their photo samples. There has been a few of the 'technically superior' people on AP in the past, come and go

I'd just thought I'd correct you on that simple comment earlier thats all, since you also like to point out little details that others post too.

ahhh yes the classic fall back to pointing out someone's grammar when written hurriedly on an Ipad, welcome to the Intermanet! I and others are looking forward to seeing more of your photos, as your knowledge and experience will make for some very interesting viewing

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Must say, I agree with our Grand Poobah here. I tend to take the advice of those that have shown they have a skill behind the camera (by posting photos of high quality), over those who do not post photos. After all, I could sit here and rabbit on about haedstrom reamers for ages, but that does not mean I can do a decent root canal if you found you needed one.

I too, like JM, prefer to take my advice from someone who can show they can walk the walk, as well as talk the talk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    since when was JM the grand poobah ?

I also started googling "haedstrom reamers" but the image search was quite disturbing

I still do not understand the reluctance of people with knowledge and quite likely skill to not post photos to lead by example. Oh well.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    since when was JM the grand poobah ?
    Since he made it is custom user title,..just like you are "Is a NZ flightless bird "

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    doh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hedstrom reamers sound like they'd be experts at performing a decent root canal.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fellas, you are all way too fast for me.
    Understood: you want to see some photos.
    I have so done: it was a request when I first joined and I did so.
    I had a few conversations with the Administration here about this and the same logic was given to me that I and my comments would be “better respected” if I posted more photos.
    I just joined because I was asked to join and after joining, I just wanted to contribute, on or about the topic of the thread, politely and in good conversation without personal comments and remarks, for example about “the technically superior people coming and going”.

This thread is about IS. I have been reading it from the beginning and I felt I could not add much to what had already been provided: but I read it again a few days later and I noted it was mentioned that using P Mode, would alleviate the necessity to use IS: that is incorrect.
    And in the interest of sharing more knowledge about IS and also more knowledge about P Mode . . . I simply did NOT say “that’s wrong” . . . but I also explained a little about the why and the how.

Is there a problem with that?
    I have previously been told this is not a problem. Have the rules changed?
    If this is not wrong for one to choose what threads to comment upon - then I shall continue to contribute on the topics which I choose to contribute, without reluctance for anything.
    I might choose the more technical subjects – is that wrong so to do?
    Then again I might choose to critique or to put some workup for critique or just to share a Christmas Photo

But I will I not worry about Mr Tran correcting me on meaning or be concerned that he thinks I am picking him up on his grammar or Ipod use – those comments I don't understand at all.

It seems to me this thread has turned a tad sour and is focusing to be about what someone chooses not to do: rather than what they choose to share.

Goodnight and Merry Christmas.

WW

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    FWIW
    I've learned plenty from what WW has posted, and can remember images he's used to demonstrate his view.
    These images were not posted in the CC forums. This seems to be the "engine room" of AP (for want of a better way of putting it).
    I imagine if WW posted for CC it would be to show how a particular image was achieve so that some of us could learn. However his choice is " to post information on the topics of one's choosing making comment which one assumes will be useful or of assistance to others."
    I see a place for this, as I've learned just as much from reading what people have to say as I have from viewing their photos. This is changing though as I get more confident in taking photos.
    My 2c worth. And I ain't going to argue with any one about what their 2c worth is.
    And I've also learned a bit about IS/OS/VR, thanks.
    Last edited by Mark L; 13-12-2011 at 11:41pm. Reason: Posted before seeing previous post.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12