Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Using Gear at the snow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using Gear at the snow

Okay so this Sunday I am flying out to Poland for the holidays
    and I am most certainly taking all my gear with me, I am however a bit worried as to how it will deal with the harsh European winter conditions, with it snowing and being pretty much at a constant negative temperature and at times dropping well below it.

The main two main things I want to know about is preventing condensation on the gear when going from a warm environment (heated home) to out side.
    I've heard inserting the lens/body into a air tight plastic bag whilst inside and taking it out side, could somebody please elaborate on this and if condensation were to occur how bad is it for the gear, will it work fine after a few hours, does it increase chances of fungi developing etc.?

Secondly Shooting whilst it's snowing. I never use my camera in the rain, so what would the deal be with it snowing and using it, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

and just reminding none of the gear I have (listed n sig) is weather sealed :S
    Canon 60D - 24-105 F4 L - Sigma 10-20 - Kit lenses - 50mm F:1.8 - Tamron 90mm F:2.8 Macro - 430 exII _ Extension Tube Set

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mr. Bump by Thomas Rockstar, on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the bump Cyza. I can't help much with the help in snow personally, but found the following links on AP that might be helpful.

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...t=condensation

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...t=condensation

We used the search button in the top right corner and put in condensation, but you might like to try other words. Enjoy your trip and we look forward to the photos.

Wayne & Di
    D300s and D60. Nikkor 35mm 1.8 & 50mm 1.8, 18-55mm & 55-200mm; Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6; Tamron 90mm, Elements 8
    ...........................................................................................C&C is always welcome......................................................................

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read here somewhere, that with long night exposures, that people rubber band one of those "hand warmer" packs that are air activated to the lens barrel. Would something like that help in these conditions, or would the cold soon overcome even one of those?
    If they'd work, they're available in most camping stores, but I imagine it would become expensive if you needed one for every time you ventured outside.
    Canon EOS 60D ..... EFS 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS - 430 EXII Speedlite - "eBay special" Remote Control Unit - Manfrotto 190XPROB w 804RC2 head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had this in my notes-must have found it somewhere. Not sure how it works when you go from warm inside to cold outside.
    Cheers.

Condensation is a big problem for cold weather photographers. If you take your camera and lens straight from the cold into the warm, water vapour will condense on any surfaces exposed to air (including interior components).
    To minimise the risk of damage, put your camera in a plastic bag (while you are still outside), then squeeze all the air out and seal it. Moisture will condense on the bag and not on the camera.

Let the camera warm up until the temperature has equalised before taking it out of the bag.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    okay thanks for the links Tikira, just about all the information I was after and more was covered in those two threads and links from within the threads.
    sorry for the pointless thread in that case, did a quick search but obviously searched the wrong things.

on a side note is it possible to search AP by thread titles rather than key words contained within the thread.

Thanks a lot again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've not had a problem with my 7D and 17-55. Been through the snow and a blizzard with the camera out in the open. Straight into a humid cave where the lens fogged up totally. Lens is still absolutely fine. Camera has been by snowballs in a snowball fight and then straight into a heated vehicle. Fogging again... no biggie.

17-55 and 7d has been in the rain, splashed by salt water due to huge waves hitting the rocks, been in the snow, had dust and dirt kicked into it by rally cars, been in the sandy desert (this one i took more precaution due to fine sand being able to clog up your gears even on weather sealed lenses) and still no problems. There is no fugus. Particles of visible dust negligible. If anyone would like to inspect my lens, i'll be more than glad to show you how clean it is internally. I also have photos to prove that it has been through the elements.

Don't worry too much. Unless a lens is sitting in a dark and humid condition for a long time, it'll be fine. Fungus does not grow overnight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with everything said above and the 7d is a great camera I have used it in extreme conditions snow hale rain etc at altitudes of more than 5000 meters. The only thing to consider is how long do you intend to shoot as the lens will get colder than the air temperature and fog up if you are taking star trails etc it will ruin it. But just for short use it will be fine.
    Dwarak Calayampundi

Canon 5D Mark II, 7 D Lens Canon 24-105mm L Canon 16-35mm II L Canon 100mm Sigma 10-20mm Canon 50mm 1.8
    http://www.wix.com/dwarak/landscapes