User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: 5D mk2 has broken

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5D mk2 has broken

Just thought I would post a note to let anyone who is interested know that my 2 yr old body with about 7000 actuactions has started reporting error 20. Most likely a mechanical failure of the shutter box or mirror assembly or both or something else just as catastrophic. I have sent it away to be repaired and I am hoping to have a quote tommorow. I will provide an update when that arrives. Ouch....

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ouch! with just 7000 actuations, one would hope Canon doesn't charge you, or at least gives you a discount on repair costs
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think mirror box or some other similar failure was common on the original 5D, but I've not heard the same about the MkII. With so few actuations on it, I would ask Canon to come to the party, especially if you are heavily invested in their gear and can leverage from it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Local stock ?
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As above, they state (Canon that is) that it's good for x shutter actuation's, of-course it's a mechanical device and can fail, but you should expect to get expected life/use from a product, not just time.

Canon should see this in the actuation's and I would expect something from them, given that it's not an entry level body and so forth.

Good Luck.
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have actually sent it to a third party as canons reply was a definite out of warranty and they would even want the "quote" paid for. It is a little disappointing given the amount of gear that I do have and yes it is also local stock that I paid completely through the nose for, 1 week before that massive price drop. arghhh.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have received the quote and it would appear that the shutter assembly has failed and repairs will be $460.00.
    Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having had a repair backgound (non-camera) I can understand why people want to quote - most of the work is diagnosing the problem, replacing the part is the easy bit. You need to do most of the work just to quote.
    Last edited by commking; 29-11-2011 at 4:10pm. Reason: spelling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just read this and this is happening on my 3 month old 7D! Devastated. I hope you get it fixed.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too have just read this and I am interested to know how you counted the actuations. Mine is 2 years old and I think probably somewhere in the region of 15000 actuations and working like a dream, but I would love to know how to check.

Google search comes up with a fair bit of (it seems) wannabee sites but after trawling through them nothing seemed too genuine. Can you recommend a link?

Cheers

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you phoned up the government body thats involved in warrantys
    you would get them to sort it out and canon would pay for it
    the camera is supposed to last more than 7000 actuationes and is designed for more
    the warranty issue will be thrown out the door
    its been proved time and time again with different poducts
    cheers macca

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi
    Easy to count the actuations, I bought it brand new and never reset the counter, there is an option in the menu that just lets it keep going up and up.

Cheers
    Cris

Quote Originally Posted by fess67 View Post
    I too have just read this and I am interested to know how you counted the actuations. Mine is 2 years old and I think probably somewhere in the region of 15000 actuations and working like a dream, but I would love to know how to check.

Google search comes up with a fair bit of (it seems) wannabee sites but after trawling through them nothing seemed too genuine. Can you recommend a link?

Cheers

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually tried that process with a fridge that died from a known fault 1 week out of warranty, as the company involved was in NSW it meant I had to lodge the forms in NSW and that meant about 2 forests worth of trees and all sorts of other stuff. I tried to reason with the company involved an they just dug their toes in and said tough luck (the retailer that sold me the thing had closed up shop), TBH i wouldn't trust any Qld govt dept to run a 6 inch nail up a dead pigs backside. In general Australian consumer protection laws are third world, yes everyone talks about implied warrantees etc etc, but that is it-all talk. Its only when someone goes to the media or some associated negative sentiments need to be avoided that these companies do anything. I have learnt recently that if you swear at people and call their sexuality into question that you will get a better response than being fair and reasonable. Sad.
    Cris

Quote Originally Posted by macmich View Post
    if you phoned up the government body thats involved in warrantys
    you would get them to sort it out and canon would pay for it
    the camera is supposed to last more than 7000 actuationes and is designed for more
    the warranty issue will be thrown out the door
    its been proved time and time again with different poducts
    cheers macca

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyway, moving along and two weeks later I have my camera back all fixed $460.00. Great service from the independent repairer. Thx. Am i allowed to mention the repairer company name?

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ^ Can't see why not. If you're happy, there's plenty of QLDers here who might benefit.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fess67 View Post
    I too have just read this and I am interested to know how you counted the actuations.
    Depending what camera you've got, try this.....http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...084#post949084
    Otherwise, search AP, I'm sure there's other references here.