User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  39
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Keep teaching myself and practising OR do a Degree/Diploma in Photography?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zollo View Post
    Really? Adams received a Doctor of Arts from both Harvard and Yale universities. He was elected a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 1966
    Umm, perhaps look into this a bit further, these where honorary degrees, given to him AFTER his work became world renown. His degrees did not make him a better photographer, they were awarded because he was a great photographer.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Totally agree Rick. A piece of paper does not mean that your work is brilliant. Look at today's society, you need a certificate for EVERYTHING!!!! Hubby recently went to a day course to obtain his White Card (used on building sites) as he thought it might increase his chances of finding work. The course was basically foolproof. He passed his no worries, but there were other younger blokes that didnt get it quite right. No problem, they were taken through the bits they got wrong and then tested again (basically almost telling them the answers they needed) and of course EVENTUALLY they passed. Now that doesn't mean that they are safe on a building site does it?? Experience is the only way you will be able to live and breathe safety and have it become a second nature. I worked previously in a large factory with forklifts and material handlers' buggies darting about everywhere. You had to keep your wits about you or it was extremely easy to forget to look as you walked over the production lines and into an aisleway. No amount of "classroom" study will teach you forklift awareness.
    In my current job, in a much smaller warehouse, I alway look at the fork driver and make sure I have made eye contact with him before I move towards him, and I always call out to him if I am intending to walk behind the forklift when he is on it. Other workers who have never worked in a real factory have no idea. They walk out from aisles, move behind the driver whilst he is getting loads down, really dumb stuff with no awareness of their surroundings and what is going on around them. So a piece of paper would be of absolutely no use to these people.
    Same with photography I feel. Just because I can pick up a camera and push the shutter button, and just because I did some course by someone who supposedly "knew" all about photography does not mean I can frame up a shot, get the settings right and make the photo look awesome!!! It will only be when I can get the time I need to get out there, snap away, experiment, (delete a lot of duds) and learn how to navigate my camera that I will have any chance of producing anything worth bragging about!!!
    At least it no longer costs me a fortune in wasted developing costs

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is often a lot of heat from both sides of the fence.
    Those who have formal qualifications and those who do not and both wishing to prove points; or to satisfy their own position.
    It is sometimes very difficult to remain subjective, when addressing this topic.

Ansel was awarded honorific and accredited, because of his perception and also his talent and ALSO many other factors.
    Certainly, the fact he was awarded and accredited did not make him greater in Craft and the Art – but it recognized both: formally and also . . . with grace – something oft lacking today.

In any case, the OP has been silent for many days: and it appears this is chat amongst ourselves, for the time being.

The question would certainly be more focussed, if the answer to:

What part of Photography does the OP wish to make a go of it?”, were to be answered.

WW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this is an old message (thread?) but I just want to put my 2 cents worth in... I am three weeks in on a 2 year Diploma of Photoimaging at TAFE, and I can already see its going to be very useful. All the tutors are working pros, and the advice and experience can only help. There is a Traditions subject which is great to learn what has come before and Digital subjects to learn the 'now' stuff. Lots of technical advice which would take me months of trial and error to learn. Its not so much to have the piece of paper to have on the wall, which IS nice, but having the knowledge in your head. Of course, like anything, you will only get out of the course what you put in. The course also involves the use of a studio, booking your own time for your own shoots, as well as class time for assignments. I think its going to be worthwhile...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123