User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Think you have a photo storage problem?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Think you have a photo storage problem?

So you think you are going to run out of space for your digital images with your 1 or 2TB drive. Consider this. The animated movie "Monsters Vs Aliens" used up 93TB of storage just for the images used in the movie. Each day, they worked, the animators created 3 seconds of the movie. They would create these in low-resolution, set their software to process them and it would take all night for the computers to create the additional 3 seconds of movie quality footage.

Intel are working with the movie industry to get this to 2.5 minutes of footage a week, within the next 4 years. Would you work all week to produce 2.5 minutes of images?
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me, no I don't have enough patience for that.

That said, what a great gaming system that would make, Crysis would look awesome!!!
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well if I was being paid 6 figures, then yes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An IT friend of mine was invloved in setting up high speed links from the movie studios at Fox Studios in Sydney to their main studios in Los Angeles.
    Every night, they would send many, many TB's of rushes over the internet.
    The costs to the studios were HUUUUGE, and required special cable and links.

No wonder these Pixar movies cost so much to make.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Formerly : Apollo62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This just highlights how much work and effort goes into making these kinds of movies, a lot of which people don't realise when they are watching them. Sometimes, it pays to watch the "making of" extras that are often included with the DVD releases that show how the initial artists drawings become the finished product. That kind of stuff never ceases to amaze me.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hence a Carbon Tax, a Mining Tax, and soon - already! - a Nerd Tax! I mean, we (some of us) pay to go and see them.

Added: Ah, yes, Apollo62. I am one of those who have failed to appreciate this subtlety. Yes, I should sit and reflect more on these marvels of modernity.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 25-11-2011 at 4:54pm.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spent well over 100 hours for one assignment for the animation course I was doing at Uni over 4 weeks, to produce 6 seconds of film However we only needed 5-10 seconds for the assignment luckily :P My iMac nearly had a heart attack numerous times, and the stop motion software I was using crashed more times than I can remember from memory issues. And my iMac isn't sluggish...1GB graphics, 1TB HDD, 16GB RAM

Canon 400D | 60mm f2.8 | 18-55mm | 75-300mm| 50mm f1.8 | 430EXII | Photoshop CS4
    Helpful & Honest Critique/Advice appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Photographers already do this. Consider that a photograph (as a generalization) takes 1/100 sec. That's 100 images per sec and 6000 per minute. 3 secs is 18000 images.

How long does it take a photographer to produce 18k images? Certainly longer than 3secs. Animators have it easy.
    Vince

Space; The Final Frontier

C & C encouraged on all images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you guys are saying that me trusty 486 wouldnt handle short movies, even if I doubled the RAM to 32.
    Waiting on a train

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would shoot myself by the end of the first week or fall into a catatonic situation from sheer boredom. So little output for so much effort.