User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Advice sought from Lightroom users

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice sought from Lightroom users

I've just purchased Lightroom 3 and wanted to get some advice from experienced LR users before I go too far down the path of setting up my catalogue and importing files.

I was planning to have both my catalogue and the images on an external 2Tb HDD, rather than on my internal HDD (with backup to a second external HDD of course). I've always kept my images on external HDDs rather than fill the internal drive of the computer and would prefer to continue that way.

I know the default LR location for the catalogue is on the C drive, but is that just for simplicity's sake, or is there a good reason to have the catalogue on the computer's drive?

TIA for any advice on this.
    Canon DSLRs & lenses | Fuji X series & lenses | Ricoh GR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Performance I believe

But I haven't noticed a great deal of difference when the catalogue is with the drive either

Also, if catalogue on c drive and the hard drive crashes you've not lost all your edits.

I thoroughly recommend you get kelbys book on lightroom, there's a pretty cheap ebook version too
    Last edited by kiwi; 24-11-2011 at 10:03pm.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.slrlounge.com/ have 117 videos on their web site about lightroom, although it might take a long time to look at them all.
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys.

Darren, re: the crashing HDD contingency - is it possible to duplicate the catalogue on the c drive and the external drive, do you know?

I have Kelby's book on order at the moment and just checked Martin Evening's LR3 book out of the library today, so I probably have the answer sitting in front of me, if I'd do a little study.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You do a backup and you can specify where that backup goes, it's just saved as a catalogue with another name really.

Lr will prompt you to do a backup on a predefined schedule, I think at least monthly is the default

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Darren. I backup at least once a month anyway so that suits me and if the catalogue is duplicated on my backup HDD I'm not likely to lose edits if a drive crashes. (Now watch me suffer a massive computer disaster with all three drives crashing at once!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I start a new catalogue every month. i find this loads quicker and should you have any problems with a catalogue you haven't lost everything and yes duplicate backups.
    You can call me Jez