User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  279
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "nice photo" etc is now banned from the critique forums.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

"nice photo" etc is now banned from the critique forums.

Effective immediately, until Christmas day, the critique forums will have a ban on any post that just says 'nice photo' , 'great pic', etc. any post like that will be deleted.

The critique forums are just that, and nice photo is not a critique, so please give other members a better critique than nice photo, top shot, thanks for sharing, as this style of post wil be deleted.

Lets see some real critiquing going on and leave the nice photo comments for facebook.

EDITED (23 Nov 2011)

So even if we do not 'ban' nice photo till Christmas (based on feedback in this thread), if we can get members thinking about their critiques and just giving that little bit more, this thread has been a success.

Good to see this thread got some heated discussion. This is exactly what I wanted you to do. Now use the enthusiasm that you posted your responses, opinions and more here in this thread, and apply that enthusiasm to members photos.

What I am saying, is that if your post in its entirety. is "nice photo" and nothing more, it will be deleted by a myself or a mod.

If your post is

*nice photo, I like the composition here and how you have framed the shot
    *great series, the fast shutter speed has captured them well
    *wow, you have really made the subject stand out from the background
    *Love the colours in the sunset

it will NOT be deleted.

We only intend to delete those posts on threads in the :Members Photos Critique Forums: that just say 'nice photo' or similar and nothing more.

If you are NEW TO PHOTOGRAPHY, then here is a tutorial to get your teeth into, to teach you how to post more than 'nice photo' from the very first time you critique : http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...-Critique-2011
    There is nothing stopping anyone from posting their opinion on a photo, even if it is to say "nice photo, I love the colours you have captured'.
    Last edited by ricktas; 23-11-2011 at 5:13am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick, I agree with the blanket ban on just those words.
    But..., is it OK with a "but" with the addition of the likes of "the dark shadow to the left could be cropped out to give it more balance"? (Or words to that effect?)
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this will just put alot of people off from making any comment at all. Many a time a photo is excellent/good/wonderful etc without the need for further comment and adding a comment doesn't necessarily make it better, just different. Therefore there will be unecessary critiquing where none is really required.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice post.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post
    I think this will just put alot of people off from making any comment at all. Many a time a photo is excellent/good/wonderful etc without the need for further comment and adding a comment doesn't necessarily make it better, just different. Therefore there will be unecessary critiquing where none is really required.
    An interesting and valid point.

I think Rick wants the critique forums to be about that: proper critique.

Of course, some people do not know how to critique an image, and all they can say is "nice image" (or similar) to express the fact that they like the image, but don't necessarily know why, nor what would make the image 'better' in their view.

Whether or not there should be a simple section for "nice image" comments is debatable, but I guess over time Rick will be able to see whether the banning of two-word 'critiques' will either encourage proper critiques, or reduce the number of comments altogether.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure I understand either. Making more and more rules to have people fit a perfect mould of what a good reply should be will only deter replies.

Sunrise Chaser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to be on another site , They banned the reply of just "Thank You" After someone commented on an Image , All comments had to have some meaningful substance to it
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    An interesting and valid point.
    Thank you.

I think Rick wants the critique forums to be about that: proper critique.

Of course, some people do not know how to critique an image, and all they can say is "nice image" (or similar) to express the fact that they like the image, but don't necessarily know why, nor what would make the image 'better' in their view.
    This is quite possibly true. However, I still think think we need somewhere where we can give simple praise where we do not need/want to actually critique the photo. There are many photogs here that post/have posted superb photos that really do not require any critque simply because there is really no possible way to make them better and I would still love the ability to make a comment such as "Wow, what a great photo!" in recognition of their abililty and the wonderful shot. Also, there are many great photogs here that post a photo that they have purposely taken/post processed/etc in a particular, way which may not be to a particular viewers liking, but was the direct intention of the photog as that is the way they wanted it and not any other way. Posting a critique on these types of photos are not really necessary.

Looking at photos that people like Dylan (DTOH) regularly post, and quite a number of what others post, do not really warrant a critique as some of them are simply breathtaking as they are.

Whether or not there should be a simple section for "nice image" comments is debatable, but I guess over time Rick will be able to see whether the banning of two-word 'critiques' will either encourage proper critiques, or reduce the number of comments altogether.
    I think there should be a section allowing for photos that do not necessaily need a critique. However, I think this may just be a duplication for no real need.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only new here , but I have seen this done on another photography site once before , I no longer use it as there was very little replies to any photos after this rule was introduced and I would be much rather have 4-5 replies of
    "Nice Pic" to keep me inspired than nothing at all.

My friends call me Dave
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some times I post "Nice image" because in my eyes it is a perfect image and I can not add any CC, but on the other hand I could and some times do comment on what I do like about it.
    Canon 7d efs 15-85mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Nicon coolpix 5400

My friends call me Dave
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not for Critique is a place for image praise

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still think think we need somewhere where we can give simple praise where we do not need/want to actually critique the photo.
    Perhaps the 'Not for Critique' section would be an appropriate place.

My interpretation of the structure of this site is that proper critique is desirable in the critique-based forums, whereas 'Not for Critique' is for photos whose owners aren't seeking critique. Whether or not a forum for "nice post" and other simple expressions along the lines of a Facebook-style 'like' is wanted around here, I cannot say.

Sometimes there just isn't much you can say about a photo because it's of a certain standard, or cannot be easily picked apart.

Perhaps rather than "nice image", such comments should explain why the commentator thinks the image is nice. A comment like "I like the cascading water on that rock" at least provides some insight into what makes the image work for that person, and is more useful than "nice image" alone.

Personally, I like to know what it is about my images that people like.

There are many photogs here that post/have posted superb photos that really do not require any critque simply because there is really no possible way to make them better and I would still love the ability to make a comment such as "Wow, what a great photo!" in recognition of their abililty and the wonderful shot.
    I completely agree. How to cater for that in a useful, meaningful way is not so clear in my mind.

On the other hand, forcing meaningful comments if the person isn't comfortable or able to make them, may stifle feedback altogether.

Time will tell, and maybe that's why Rick has placed a specific time limit on the "nice image" embargo.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettD View Post
    Only new here , but I have seen this done on another photography site once before , I no longer use it as there was very little replies to any photos after this rule was introduced and I would be much rather have 4-5 replies of
    "Nice Pic" to keep me inspired than nothing at all.
    Completely agree. Nothing inspires me more than a few back slaps on my photos. I am comfortable enough with my own ability, as I am sure of many here are also, to actually realise what constitues a good image and what can be done to improve it, but that doesn't mean that it can't still be posted and enjoyed and praised for what it is. A case in point; Take a photo of a particular bird which may be rare and difficult to get a photo of. I will still post it if it is sharp and clear and of good technical quality full well knowing that there is a distracting branch in a spot that I can't do anything about. Advising that it would be better to not have th distracting branch is stating the bleeding obvious, but that doesn't mean that it needs to be stated or even needs a critique.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    Perhaps the 'Not for Critique' section would be an appropriate place.
    Good point. May be it should be expanded to include the same topic headings as the "Critique" section.

My interpretation of the structure of this site is that proper critique is desirable in the critique-based forums, whereas 'Not for Critique' is for photos whose owners aren't seeking critique. Whether or not a forum for "nice post" and other simple expressions along the lines of a Facebook-style 'like' is wanted around here, I cannot say.

Sometimes there just isn't much you can say about a photo because it's of a certain standard, or cannot be easily picked apart.

Perhaps rather than "nice image", such comments should explain why the commentator thinks the image is nice. A comment like "I like the cascading water on that rock" at least provides some insight into what makes the image work for that person, and is more useful than "nice image" alone.

Personally, I like to know what it is about my images that people like.

I completely agree. How to cater for that in a useful, meaningful way is not so clear in my mind.

On the other hand, forcing meaningful comments if the person isn't comfortable or able to make them, may stifle feedback altogether.

Time will tell, and maybe that's why Rick has placed a specific time limit on the "nice image" embargo.
    Good points.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice thread.
    Cheers
    Kev

D800 & GAS

Sunrise Chaser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trublubiker View Post
    Nice thread.
    Good one Kev, Lucky it's not the Critique Forum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont think you can mandate response, only encourage better response with carrot rather than stick

As such, although I agree "nice photo" adds little, its is still a valid viewpoint and valid comment.

Perhaps make the minimum comment something like 20 characters rather than 4 or whatever it is now.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

My friends call me Dave
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off topic Bill and Darren 2 AFD this week and another today I hope

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see empty threads....

Oh ok not so much empty but just less replies. I know as a photographer we all want to know how our art sits with out contemporaries on an emotional level and where it can be improved in a technical sense but personally i dont think we are going to get what we want unless we specifically ask for it. The not for crit section seems to attract shots that arent taken for thier artistic merrits but funny or unusual things we just want to share, and everything else seems to go in the other part (crit part). maybe if what we are after is a higher level of critique then we need to create a section just for that for it seems to me that most of us dont ask for that high level of critique and personally I do ask for it if i want it and If I dont then I am quite happy just to share it and know if people like it or not.

so in short(er)

1. a special HC forum where "nice pic" is banned
    or
    2. Ask for HC if thats what you want.

of course i am quite happy to trial this till xmas too, but i just cant see it being a good thing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    I dont think you can mandate response, only encourage better response with carrot rather than stick

As such, although I agree "nice photo" adds little, its is still a valid viewpoint and valid comment.

Perhaps make the minimum comment something like 20 characters rather than 4 or whatever it is now.
    nice post............

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast