User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Singh ray filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Singh ray filters

Was looking online for some reverse grad filters and stumbled upon the Singh ray filters. Looking at the variable ND one single filter offered from 2 stops to 8 stops by rotating it. Also was looking at the lighter brighter polorising filter was thinking of anyone have ever used any of these filters. The ND sounds like a good idea ESP for composing and focussing without having to remove the filter all the time.
    Dwarak Calayampundi

Canon 5D Mark II, 7 D Lens Canon 24-105mm L Canon 16-35mm II L Canon 100mm Sigma 10-20mm Canon 50mm 1.8
    http://www.wix.com/dwarak/landscapes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a SR variable ND filter and it is well made and works well.
    As it is expensive, I read a number of reports about the cheaper variable ND's (hoping to save money), but most of the reports were only so-so but the reports of the SR were all very good, so I took the plunge.
    B&H sell the SR and other brands, so check out the user reports there. They can be very enlightening.

I can't say I've used it extensively, but it really does work and doesn't reduce the IQ as far as I can see.
    I use it mainly on my Tokina 11-16mm, but find that if using it at 11mm, if I turn the ring to it's maximum setting, I do get some serious vignetting, but going to 12-13mm, or backing it off a little, it is perfect.

I'm not 100% sure, but I have read that using this filter together with a CP filter is a bit of a no-no.

I went with the variable SR as I figured that if have to buy 3 or 4 different good quality ND filters, that the SR actually costs less and does the job well, and you only have to carry one filter instead of a set!
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennymiata View Post
    I have a SR variable ND filter and it is well made and works well.
    As it is expensive, I read a number of reports about the cheaper variable ND's (hoping to save money), but most of the reports were only so-so but the reports of the SR were all very good, so I took the plunge.
    B&H sell the SR and other brands, so check out the user reports there. They can be very enlightening.

I can't say I've used it extensively, but it really does work and doesn't reduce the IQ as far as I can see.
    I use it mainly on my Tokina 11-16mm, but find that if using it at 11mm, if I turn the ring to it's maximum setting, I do get some serious vignetting, but going to 12-13mm, or backing it off a little, it is perfect.

I'm not 100% sure, but I have read that using this filter together with a CP filter is a bit of a no-no.

I went with the variable SR as I figured that if have to buy 3 or 4 different good quality ND filters, that the SR actually costs less and does the job well, and you only have to carry one filter instead of a set!
    It is good to know that someone else is using the filter. I do have couple of ND filters the HOYA ND400 and the BW 110 but find that focusing and composition is very hard as I cannot see anything through them and just happened to sumble upon the variable ND and I know Singh Ray's quality is good for GND's and did some research on these filters cannot find any negative feedback I use 17mm on a full frame and I this there will be some vignetting but I think I can live with that

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used it b4 but found it to vignette a little even at 24mm (1.4G) on FX so I passed on it.
    Seems strange considering others have said they can use it at wider focal lengths without vignetting.
    It could be to do with the particular lens design..I dunno.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For each size they make, 77mm and 82mm, they make both a thin version and a thicker version where you can screw another filter onto the outside.

I have seen some suggestions that say for UWA lenses, get the thin 82mm version and then an adaptor to fit your lens, so the vignetting will not be so noticeable.

Personally, I have the 77mm thin version and this works well on my crop sensor camera with the Tokina 11-16mm, but this will still give you some vignetting at 11mm at the darkest setting, but ad another 1 or 2 mm, and the vignetting goes away.
    The adjustable nature of this ND filter is really good as you can compose your shot at -2EV, then turn the ring to make it as dark as you like, up to -8EV (approximately).

The filter also comes with a nice little padded pouch too.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am getting the 77mm thin version I intend to use it with my 17-40 L on a full frame and 24-105 L lens I am sure at 24 there will be no problems but on the 17 - 40 I may have to go upto 20 to avoid any issues with vignetting. As mentioned above love the fact that can increase or reduce the ND effect without having to change the filter....very innovative and the nuetral CPL which does not add any warming effect will be interesting to use they also have another one with a warming effect.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They also have a special filter which is a blue/gold filter which is supposed to be excellent for landscapes as it brings out the blue of the sky and the golds of the earth.

I'll probably buy one, one day.