Here is the story...
My son works at a restaurant as an apprentice chef. A couple of weeks ago after a great meal there, I decided I would go outside and take a photo just for my own pleasure.
There was a bright red sunset behind the premises, and the place was fairly well lit up. It turned out to be a reasonably good shot. (Can't show because it goes against site rules)
My son said it was a great image, and he would love to show his boss. So I got a $2.00 frame from a Op Shop, printed it out on my printer, went there for afternoon tea yesterday and my son gave it to his boss. His boss then showed it to his parents, who happened to be there at the time. His father came over for a chat, talking about photography. And said "so you're an amateur photographer. Not thinking I didn't think there was a difference.

Later on, my son's boss came out and said to put my name on the photo, and give him some business cards. Then it came to me........

Ok. I'm a hobbyist. I take photos for my own pleasure. If an image relating to someone, of either them or something of theirs (example.. property, car or motorbike) is pretty good, I would gladly give them a copy of the image. (A4 or 5x7) Or even give them the finished file and say they can get it printed to a larger size if they want.

So to be classed as an amateur. Would I do the same thing but do it for some financial gain or some recognition as a photographer?

Do you think there is a difference between an amateur and a hobby photographer?