User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: What batteries for speedlites give best speed for another flash?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What batteries for speedlites give best speed for another flash?

I was shooting at a Baptism the other day in full midday sunlight, so I was using the speedlite for some fill flash.
    I had the camera pretty much in sport mode, to capture the dunking and coming out again of the people being baptised.
    The 430EXII would fire for most of the shots, but not for all of them.
    It had Energizer or Duracell Max batteries in it. Would it cycle again quicker with the much dearer Lithium versions of these batteries, or would it not make much difference?
    If they'll only last longer, rather than cycle quicker for another flash, then they're probably not worth the extra cost.
    If this belongs in Strobist, or some other area, then my apologies ahead of time, and feel free to move it.
    Canon EOS 60D ..... EFS 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS - 430 EXII Speedlite - "eBay special" Remote Control Unit - Manfrotto 190XPROB w 804RC2 head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recommend Powerex and Enerloop, available from site sponsors

But you're asking a lot for flash to keep firing in burst mode, you'll overheat it too.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ditto what kiwi said - Powerex 2700s if your disciplined to charge them before a shoot (quicker recycle/more flashes) and Powerex Immedion 2400 if you want to just keep them in your bag and use whenever (less flashes)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with phototyke i keep both in bag- very good price from protog
    You can call me Jez

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The length of recycle time is also effected by how much flash power you're using. I'e If the flash is working hard by providing most of light in a darkish environment it takes longer. In good light If you've got camera exposure settings at or near ambient light & using flash for a light fill, the recycle time is very short.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry if this is a thread hijack, but it seems relevant to the topic. I've been having issues with batteries in my yn560, the recycle time is ok, but after one or two shots the speedlight turns itself off. I've been told it's because of the cheapo disposible batteries I've been using, but I was wondering if anyone knows why this happens? It's somewhat frustrating!

Are the batteries unable to provide a constant power after a sudden surge of energy caused by the flash going off? Or is it more to do with the lack of available power in the battery cells?
    Ryan

D800 | Nikkor 24-70mm ƒ/2.8 | Cullmann Tripod |Manfrotto 680B Monopod | Lowepro Flipside 400 AW | 2x Yungnuo 560 flash & wireless trigger| FleaBay Lightstand, umbrella and collapsible softbox
    My Flickr site
    RSK Photography - Perth based Motorsport Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phototyke View Post
    ditto what kiwi said - Powerex 2700s if your disciplined to charge them before a shoot (quicker recycle/more flashes) and Powerex Immedion 2400 if you want to just keep them in your bag and use whenever (less flashes)
    +1

I have the Imedions x24 and a set of Powerex 2700's x4.

I find that although the 2700's have a higher capacity than the Imedion, it is not that much of a difference in the real world and I never run out of battery using the Imedion. The Imedion can be charged and hold most of their charge for up t0 12 months, so they are handy. I also recommend Protog as the supplier, and make sure you get a Maha charger to charge them. there may also be external battery packs like the SD8/9 for Nikon that will speed up recycle and provide longer life, also look at Quantum Turbo or similar for Canon if there is no factory equivalent.

One tip regarding flash cycle time and battery life, if you can, raise the ISO a stop or two, because that will essentially reduce the required flash output by half or more, giving faster recycle and longer life. As Kiwi said though, expecting a speedlight to fire in burst mode continuously is ambitious and will possibly roast the strobe from inside out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    like everyone else here said already, I use about 20 Powerexs and charged only by a Maha MH-C801D - all bought through Protog and possibly the best battery charger for AAs I have ever used. It allows you to maximize the life of your battery and condition them etc, thus prolonging their usage and not overcharge like a cheap charger will.

I also combine my 580EXIIs and YN560s with the Yongnuo SF18 battery pack which fits another 6 AAs - to really speed up the recycle time and extend battery use, very handy throughout a wedding day especially at the reception.