User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  11

Thread: Change to "Not For Critique" Forum

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Change to "Not For Critique" Forum

We often see members post photos into the Not For Critique forum, and then members reply to it, giving it critique.

The mods and I have chatted about this and we feel part of the issue was that the 'Not For Critique' forum is a sub-forum of
    .:CONSTRUCTIVE CRITIQUE - Members' Photos:. which caused some confusion.

Therefore we are trialling a change. The 'Not For Critique' forum has been moved and is now under the 'General' headings, just under The Test Zone. We will see how this goes and hope that separating it from the Critique Forums, will mean its purpose is defined more accurately.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd get rid if it

If people don't want critique they should just post to facebook or mention it in the thread
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    I'd get rid if it

If people don't want critique they should just post to facebook or mention it in the thread
    Certainly something to consider there, thanks Darren.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally "Not For Critique" contains places or things of interest.
    I would like to see a change to the rules for it. If you add a "Place of Interest" The member must supply information about the area. Or a "Thing of Interest", more information, and possibly the best way to photograph it. (Or how the photograph was taken) Towns near the area, degree of difficulty or the best place to stay for the area. Then if a member was going to an area for a holiday. He/she could plan the trip around the information provided.
    I know when I went on a recent trip to Northern NSW. I had heard, and seen some great images on here from that area. But no information how to get there, or towns near the area were one could seek a travel guide. I had to rely on information centres (not TOGS) for the locations.
    I did like dtoh's article in the "Australian Photography" magazine. He explained how hard it was to get to the location, for himself, and for his pregnant wife. He also explained how he took the images in detail.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the reason for this forum was not that but for a safe haven place for NTP particularly to post photos just to share......in which case I think it's superfluous, hardly used and In fact endorsing an approach that will not lead to better photography.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's probably got to do with people using the 'new post' button then viewing or replying to threads that look to be of interest, without taking notice of what department they're in.

(well that's what I do anyway).

Can't see it hurts too much if you get rid of it as Kiwi says. Not sure what you're supposed to post in there anyway.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffsta View Post
    Generally "Not For Critique" contains places or things of interest.
    I would like to see a change to the rules for it. If you add a "Place of Interest" The member must supply information about the area. Or a "Thing of Interest", more information, and possibly the best way to photograph it. (Or how the photograph was taken) Towns near the area, degree of difficulty or the best place to stay for the area. Then if a member was going to an area for a holiday. He/she could plan the trip around the information provided.
    I know when I went on a recent trip to Northern NSW. I had heard, and seen some great images on here from that area. But no information how to get there, or towns near the area were one could seek a travel guide. I had to rely on information centres (not TOGS) for the locations.
    I did like dtoh's article in the "Australian Photography" magazine. He explained how hard it was to get to the location, for himself, and for his pregnant wife. He also explained how he took the images in detail.
    Actually we created THIS section of forums for places of interest, things to do, etc, with one forum for each State. So what you seek is already in place, you were just looking for it, in the wrong place.

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day all

I have noted that the Not-for-critique area is a safe area for newbies to show their work & until they have the self-confidence to go into an 'open' for critique area ... as such, I'd keep it, esp for newbies > maybe those with < 50 posts???

as a ps
    12 months or so ago I persuaded my missus to join AP which she did with much trepidation as she is a very private person. The first image she posted got a response (from someone) along the lines of "I can't see what you were trying to achieve with this photo ... in fact I cannot see why you bothered to post this photo at all". For a newbie with less than 1/2-dozen postings of any sort at the time and for someone without our level of experience & without our levels of self-confidence, she was shattered and departed AP at a great speed, and nothing I say to her will entice her back again.

Regards, Phil
    Last edited by OzzieTraveller; 21-11-2011 at 8:08pm.
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry Phil to here that, Most times I try to support new members , Especially on there first posts , I thought the " Not for Critique" Thread was for random stuff that did'nt fit anywhere else and did'nt deserve a fair dinkum Critique , Just crap that that was interesting in it's own right , But not technically anything !! If you know what I mean , So I would still encourage first posters to go to the Main CC Forums
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    New members have the words "New Member" under their username in every post they make. Certainly, if someone had reported the post your wife got Phil, we may have edited it/removed it. Having said that, AP is not about posting 'nice photo', leave that for facebook. People should critique effectively and if they don't like something at least say why, and what could be done to improve it. A completely negative critique, is not really a critique in my mind.

We have stayed away from having a New to Photography critique area, for one reason. A few other sites offer it, and from that I have seen, people get entrenched in the new photographer critique area, and even when prompted to start posting in the main CC forums, they resist. This ends up dividing members into two camps, and we do not feel that is a good idea.

However, if members can give us good reason for having a newbies critique forum like anything on the site, we can do it, if members want it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick , I dont think this site needs a "New to Photography Area" It will just create what you have already mentoined for the same reasons - Bill , After all we are a friendly bunch , Cant see the need

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a shame Phil, we can be such an insensitive lot at times with our photography. I sure hope your wife forgive us lot for that.

I agree that not for critique is not really required, as the purpose is to improve our photography. I try to encourage those starting out and would never be too harsh if they have only just joined.
    Shelley
    (constructive criticism welcome)

www.shelleypearsonphotography.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear that Phil. I don't think we need a "new to photography" section in the forum, I have found nothing but good critique and support from it's members. People just need to be aware that there are a lot of people "new" to photography and we don't need them to be scared away after finding such a wonderful pastime and fulfilling hobby.
    Canon 7D Mark II

Adam Brice