User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  12
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: T&C's that SH!T me to tears!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it comes down to that they sell the memories (pics) not you or others, if you take pics then you might not buy there memorabilia. It's a business I can understand their view point.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It wasn't that long ago that someone was playing a video of a music concert on their iPhone.
    I remember watching a few seconds of it and thinking to myself 'why'?

The two of them stood there watching a few small blacks dots on a crooked horizon scorching under massively blown out supanova for lighting, and listening to to the tinniest pathetic sound from the speakers and mesmerised by it.
    The few seconds of the video that I saw looked like a nature doco of two bacteria cells, being studied under UV light on a glass plate in a Petri dish, both screaming like hell ... didn't look or sound like a concert to me!

I understand the frustration(with T&C's), I can't understand the restrictive ideology of the organising parties tho.
    I think that if anything, they should encourage punters to come along with their xx-xxx zooms and try to better the paid togs to capture better images.
    This way it keeps the paid pros 'honest'.

One thing I can't stand more than BS T&C's is lazy arsed paid professionals who's only chance of getting great images is to eliminate any possible competition!
    That is, in general, the only reason their images end up 'in demand' is because of a lack of any other source.
    It's backward thinking in that it breeds a system of complacency.
    Complacency = Boredom.

I remember a primary school concert I attended a few years back at my kids school. The strict instruction from the school this particular year(which had never been requested in the previous two years!!) was that no large cameras and definitely flash was allowed during the concert.
    They'd organised a (un)professional mob(of unknown brand) to do both photos and video, and the quality of the photos were best described as laughable!
    Even tho I have no proof of this, I know(deep down as a generally suspicious type of person), that the school would have had as part of any signed contract a clause limiting the parents of the student in capturing images themselves.
    Of course without hard evidence, this is only a theory I have, but in my mind it simply reinforces one important thing. Too many businesses are banking on the fact that 99% of 'punters' just don't give a damn, and they will simply accept any old garbage as a consumable product.
    And so for these businesses to protect themselves against any quarter decent alternative, they need to have the instruments set in place to effect litigation in an efficient manner if it comes to that.

This was a few years back, maybe two or three, but I did notice one striking omission from last years school concert .. no inept paid for video/still production team
    One of the teachers did something in house.

Like Mark said tho.. just try to relax more about the ordeal, rather than trying to forcibly capture memories of it. Take your P&S, snap a few frames of yourself and your party at the gig and worry less about an image of the band/group/artist.
    If you get the odd half decent snap of this religious establishment of worship clan, then cool! .. enjoy! If not, then cool! .. enjoy!
    Last edited by arthurking83; 17-11-2011 at 11:19pm.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can just imagine being at a concert with 200 DSLRs all jostling for position near the stage and flashes going off every second.

It would drive me crazy.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't read all the posts, but I'm thinking that for personal snaps shouldn't a "goodish P+S" suffice?
    Anyway, these "largish humans", as you put it, may not yet know about EVIL cameras. They mostly look P+S-ish.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=arthurking83;944226]It wasn't that long ago that someone was playing a video of a music concert on their iPhone.
    I remember watching a few seconds of it and thinking to myself 'why'?

The two of them stood there watching a few small blacks dots on a crooked horizon scorching under massively blown out supanova for lighting, and listening to to the tinniest pathetic sound from the speakers and mesmerised by it.
    The few seconds of the video that I saw looked like a nature doco of two bacteria cells, being studied under UV light on a glass plate in a Petri dish, both screaming like hell ... didn't look or sound like a concert to me!

Can't work it out either myself

I understand the frustration(with T&C's), I can't understand the restrictive ideology of the organising parties tho.
    I think that if anything, they should encourage punters to come along with their xx-xxx zooms and try to better the paid togs to capture better images.
    This way it keeps the paid pros 'honest'.[QUOTE]

This then creates a situation not dissimilar to a paid tog trying to shoot a one off event like a wedding with Uncle Artur and his SLR getting in the way of everything and spoiling something they're paid to record.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    It may be good to have a visual reminder of any particular gig, but isn't the memory of the music enough?
    If it was for everybody, why do so many people record or photgraph the shows with what ever means possible? Do you have any images of previous concerts you've been to?

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennymiata View Post
    I can just imagine being at a concert with 200 DSLRs all jostling for position near the stage and flashes going off every second.

It would drive me crazy.
    Why do you need a flash?
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    I haven't read all the posts, but I'm thinking that for personal snaps shouldn't a "goodish P+S" suffice?
    Anyway, these "largish humans", as you put it, may not yet know about EVIL cameras. They mostly look P+S-ish.
    1, I don't have one.

2, Not much good unless your on the punter barrier, like most above have presumed, this venus is diferent. You need to forget about a typical large concert venue, lots of young kids and the like, try a more mature crowd, seated areas, bench in a old quarry, and a bloody good band IMO anyway. A P&S would be usless, unless you want a pic of the persons head infront of you.

Look, at the end of the day I was trying to get across the point that a premises should have a clear statement regarding T&C's, Rick has chopped plenty of shots/images from this site due to T&C's, but this venue has none, that's the point. If I had have turned up and been rejected entry after buying my ticket and believing I could bring my setup, only to find at the last minute, I'm not welcolme, well how would you fell?

That's the point.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosta View Post
    ...Look, at the end of the day I was trying to get across the point that a premises should have a clear statement regarding T&C's, Rick has chopped plenty of shots/images from this site due to T&C's, but this venue has none, that's the point. If I had have turned up and been rejected entry after buying my ticket and believing I could bring my setup, only to find at the last minute, I'm not welcolme, well how would you fell?

That's the point...
    Yes, Roosta. That's lamentable, but it will always be the case because we do not operate in a prefect drowl. (Especially venues such as you describe.)

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosta View Post
    Do you have any images of previous concerts you've been to?
    Yes, of Springsteen, at Sydney Ent. Cent. in the 80's. Went 4 nights in a row, took the camera one night. Can't remember the last time I looked at them, but I remember how awesome Bruce was and I still listen to his music.
    Don't own a P&S, don't even have a mobile phone, don't have any other images of gigs I've been to.

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mongo can see the arguments for and against DSLRs with serious lenses at the concert.
    Just some quick points:-

1. They do have the right at a private venue to set the T&Cs of entry (unless any of the T &Cs are in conflict with any legislation);
    2. You , as the paying punter should be able to rely on the T&Cs as complete and exhaustive and should not have to look beyond them or ask extra questions to find out what they really all are. In other words, what is not in the T&Cs when you buy your ticket cannot later be added thus changing the basis of your understanding and agreement under which you bought your ticket.
    3. If they say no DSLRs (or P&Ss only) on their T&Cs when you bought the ticket , you should be held to that even if you do not agree with it – just as they should be held to allowing you a DSLR if they had not excluded it directly or indirectly (e.g. by saying you are only allowed a P&S camera in the published T&Cs)
    4. First rule of concert going is - enjoy the concert. The second rule is if the T&Cs say only a P&S, then, take the mother of all P&Ss to the concert. Some P&Ss that Mongo knows (and owns) have 12 megapixels, zoom range of 27 to 483mm, image stabilizers, low noise, Leica lenses etc, etc. Why do you worry about an SLR with this sort of P&S available (apart from the fact that you should not have to go out and buy other gear just to go to a concert to take some pictures) ?
    Nikon and Pentax user

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    Mongo can see the arguments for and against DSLRs with serious lenses at the concert.
    Just some quick points:-[*]You , as the paying punter should be able to rely on the T&Cs as complete and exhaustive and should not have to look beyond them or ask extra questions to find out what they really all are. In other words, what is not in the T&Cs when you buy your ticket cannot later be added thus changing the basis of your understanding and agreement under which you bought your ticket.
    Hi Mongo, Completly agree, and this was my main point, Tickets turned up the other day, still no T&C's regarding photography of any kind on them, site still has no update either, this is what SH!TS me to Tears.

Where did you get this information from? Is it legaly binding? or have you heard this before?

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roosta,
    these are just some basic legal principles (BUT MONGO IS NOT GIVING LEGAL ADVICE !!). There may be a lot more to it also when you start to delve into it which may diminish or extend these principles. There is a mountain of law relating to conditions of a contract, how to bring them properly to your notice of what they are, when they incorporated into the contract and when not, how they may be varied etc etc.

If you have a local Department of Fair Trading or its equivalent in WA, you can have a friendly chat with them - they may e helpful but this is really a job for your own legal advice. It may not be worth your while to go down that track. Also, even if the advice is in your favour, it may not prevent you from being excluded on the night if you show up with gear they do not like (even if it is not excluded by the contract). All that will do is , at best, give you rights for compensation if they were in the wrong. But by then , you will have missed the concert and the possibilities of any photos at all. A bit like win the battle but lose the war.

The best approach by far is to get express written consent (before the event) to bring and use certain gear. Make sure it is on official letterhead of the organisers, it mentions you by name and take it with you to the concert entry gate on the night with some personal photo ID to prove who you are. If you cannot get them to agree to this and their actions are too uncertain or inconsistent, you maybe should write to the Minister for Fair Trading (or equivalent) in your state and point out something should be done to protect the consumer and give certainty to these transactions. However, that could lead to all concert organisers to include in all conditions, a ban on all SLR gear in all circumstances of concerts and like. Hard to know what the best answer is.

D750 Shines
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can relate to your concerns of T&C.While not strictly concert ,but when I bought tickets to the ashes earlier this year I was told NO pro gear.So I emailed a couple of times and the last one said no larger than 200mm .So being a citizen and not wanting to chance the long arm security I slip a TC under my jeans,so the best i could hope was 280mm.Went to the game (I wish I didnt) and nothing not even a look.Just cant pick it.But in relation to concerts a Dslr is like a weapon for the public around you,and anyways a P&S would be easier to nab a good couple of shots

cheers

Nikon D750,D500,Z6,Coolpix P7700
    Nikkor 300mm f/4E PF ED VR, Nikkor 16-35mm f/4 VR, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Tokina 100mm f/2.8, Tamron 60mm f/2 , Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC Di, Nikon Z 24-70mm f/4
    FTZ adapator
    Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    Roosta,
    these are just some basic legal principles (BUT MONGO IS NOT GIVING LEGAL ADVICE !!). There may be a lot more to it also when you start to delve into it which may diminish or extend these principles. There is a mountain of law relating to conditions of a contract, how to bring them properly to your notice of what they are, when they incorporated into the contract and when not, how they may be varied etc etc.

If you have a local Department of Fair Trading or its equivalent in WA, you can have a friendly chat with them - they may e helpful but this is really a job for your own legal advice. It may not be worth your while to go down that track. Also, even if the advice is in your favour, it may not prevent you from being excluded on the night if you show up with gear they do not like (even if it is not excluded by the contract). All that will do is , at best, give you rights for compensation if they were in the wrong. But by then , you will have missed the concert and the possibilities of any photos at all. A bit like win the battle but lose the war.

The best approach by far is to get express written consent (before the event) to bring and use certain gear. Make sure it is on official letterhead of the organisers, it mentions you by name and take it with you to the concert entry gate on the night with some personal photo ID to prove who you are. If you cannot get them to agree to this and their actions are too uncertain or inconsistent, you maybe should write to the Minister for Fair Trading (or equivalent) in your state and point out something should be done to protect the consumer and give certainty to these transactions. However, that could lead to all concert organisers to include in all conditions, a ban on all SLR gear in all circumstances of concerts and like. Hard to know what the best answer is.
    Thanks Mongo, It's alright, I won't hold you to it, but I can see the good and bad in the answer, yes we as cupic below mentioned could start a DSLR war, don't wan't to do professionals out of coin either, but fair game when not listed as far as I'm concerned is fair game. Should it not?

Rick's policies and T&C's couldn't be any clearer on this site, for an example of the right way to do it. That is..

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Kiwi. Just leave the camera home, and go enjoy yourself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12