User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  29
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Give up smoking WELL WORTH A LOOK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geoffsta - By "them", do you mean the 'electronic' cigarettes, as available in the US, EU and many other places? At "health centres" in Vic?

Calling the Quitline from here - Sydney - and asking about the devices, gets the answer that they aren't legal here, and they couldn't give any advice on "how to obtain".

I've tried Patches, Gum, and both in combination (a bit nauseating..) - without success.

As the "E-Cigs" - at least from what one can Google-up about them - are fairly effective - one might indeed wonder why they haven't gained Govt approval...

Perhaps they will - since they've just announced that as only 15% of Australians smoke now - they'll get it down to 10% by 2018...

So I'm wondering if you meant legal, privately-operated, health centres that one could get a Doctor's referral to - or what...?

Regards, Dave.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only tried the patches myself William so I cant help with the hypnoses, but from the stories that I hear most sound unsuccessful
    Thats not good news about your better half Bill lets hope it dose work, my blood pressure lately has been as high as 170 over 120
    and I am on medication

This is the kit that I purchased
    http://www.vapebar.com.au/products/J...inless%29.html

Then you need moor of these, about 1 per week and that is what the liquid goes in
    http://www.vapebar.com.au/products/J...-Atomiser.html

Here is where to get nicotine. my cousin who has studied the hell out of the subject and has experimented recommended 110ml No Flavor(PG base).
    http://www.healthcabin.net/index.php...oducts_id=7664

I had a puff of his 18mg mix yesterday with no ill affects, I was at his place until 2pm and he had not had a ciggy and said that he don't feel like one

Here are some links to vaping
    http://vapingguides.com/blog/vapor-t...garettes-safe/

http://www.canadavapes.com/health/ve...in-safety.html

Do a googly search on safety and or dangers I don't come up with much at all, another thing I suggest is don't use flavors
    as mmy cousins partner had an asthma attack and it turned out to be flavoring,who knows what chemicals are in them, she has no adverse affects with vegetable glycerine mixed with nicotine
    Canon 7d efs 15-85mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Nicon coolpix 5400

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Dave : my blood pressure lately has been as high as 170 over 120
    and I am on medication

I'm not a Doctor , But that is high Dave , I've had a hard life , Mine is constantly at 140/80 , Checked every 4 weeks , And I still smoke the occasional Rollie , Usually after a drink
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Has anybody tried Hypnosis to give up My partner has tried Patches, Champix all did'nt work , She had a stroke 2 weeks ago, So the family has her booked in for Hypno therapy as a last resort to quit ?
    As someone who has studied hypnotherapy, and can place a person in a hypnotic state if I (and the person) want to. Hypnotherapy can be very effective for a variety of things, but as said above, by others, it is those that have the drive to want to give up already, and who are easy/able to be hypnotised, that get the best results from it. Some people are very susceptible to hypnotic suggestion and others are near on impossible.

Some are also good at 'fighting' against the suggestions/directions given to them, whilst in a hypnotic state. Thus over a period of time, the power of the hypnotic suggestions lessens and reduces, so more sessions may be needed. Like all methods of giving up smoking, each person needs to have the will-power and want to give up. Hypnosis can assist, as other things can assist, but it is ultimately up to the individual to give up, with the assistance of a chosen method.

Hypnosis is really just using techniques to get a person to relax their muscles to a point where they are willing to listen and accept suggestions, nothing more. To be done well it has to be customised to the person. For example, I could use a scene of lying on a tropical beach, with the waves lapping the shore, white fluffy clouds and deep blue sky as a way to induce someone, but if the person hates sand and lying on a beach for them, is not a nice experience, then I have buckleys of getting them into a hypnotic state.

Hypnotism is not magic, it just relies on really one basic premise, and that is, that if you ask someone to do something for you, most people will do it. It is using that single trigger to get people to do what you want them to do, by making them so relaxed that they will accept your suggestions.

For smoking it can work well for some, and for others it doesn't do a thing.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know its high Bill and so dose my doctor that has medicated me. Thanks to the family members that introduced me to alcohol at the age of 13 I am now an alcoholic and a heavy smoker aged 45, unemployed for the last 12 months due to illnesses, bad arthritis in my neck knees and hips and also torn ligaments in my shoulders.
    Im a pressure welder by trade but cant do it any more so I have gone from home buyer to living back at home, I start drinking at 2 due to boredom and I also suffer from anxiety so no wonder the blood pressure is up. Shit I need help.

I was going to start thread, "who are you" just so that we could learn a bit more about each other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that info Rick, Will show my partner this post , To add to it all she this thing called Factor 5 in the blood with a 8.2 Cholesterol reading , You probably know what I mean , So we really have to do something ,

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course it all comes down to wanting to quit Rick,if you have not got the drive and the will I feel that nothing will work

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Dave : I was going to start thread, "who are you" just so that we could learn a bit more about each other.

We are Dave , I had a Myocardial Infarction (Heart Attack) at 45 out Surfing at my favourite spot Currumbin , So I'm pretty aware of whats happening now , This has caused an Arrhythmia that I have to live with ( On Meds) , Then my Back packed it in as well , Nerve compression L5/S1 , So taking photos was a good option for an old fart

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its great getting old Bill, for some life begins at 40 LOL not for me.
    So you are looking after your health now, I hope so.
    Heart failure runs in the male side of my family and I know that if I don't change my ways I will be the next victim.
    You have come across as someone that likes a beer Bill, how much do you drink if you don't mind me asking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll PM you that one Dave

PS : If you asked a Doctor , Too Much
    Last edited by William; 13-11-2011 at 6:15pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Duane, I'm 45 too, I wouldn't call me healthy but I still feel youngish

Get some help with the booze, you're right, it will do you in fasted than the ciggies

Plenty of help out there, talk to your local salvos to start with

Just have to take the first step. It's always the hardest.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was an alcholic and a very heavy smoker (2oz White Ox tobacco a day). 35 years ago I said no more to smoking, then 33 years ago said no to drinking. I haven't had a smoke since and after 6 years totally off the drink I started drinking light beer and now am in total control of my drinking, Friday nights I have 4 light beers at the pub with my son then go home. A slab of light cans lasts me 3-4 weeks. Will power was the only thing I used and I feel most of these other methods are only a crutch and when it is taken away without will power you fall down.
    Keith.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Keith : (2oz White Ox tobacco a day).

White Ox would kill a brown dog

Well done on controlling things Keith

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=kiwi;942148]Duane, I'm 45 too, I wouldn't call me healthy but I still feel youngish

Get some help with the booze, you're right, it will do you in fasted than the ciggies

Plenty of help out there, talk to your local salvos to start with

Thanks Darren. I feel young in my mind too but am reminded from time to time that I am not so young any more, and the employment prospects in the Latrobe Valley are not good.
    Heaps of work if your a school leaver or a professional/tradesmen I have worked in the construction industry all my life and that's all i know
    But I just cant do it any more
    Some times I go to role over in bed and have to use my hands to help pick my head up off the pillow, due to pain.
    So now I am starting to think that whats the point and may as well have a drink as it helps me to forget.
    I have mentioned to my Quack that I want to give up the booze but I have not really had any response out of him

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done Speedy, Thats will power mate and its good to see that you can still enjoy a beer from time to time without the need for more RE: White Ox Camel shit tastes better

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is a filthy habit, and am glad I have never even tried it. So many people I know have quit for lengthy periods of time and gone back to smoking, usually with drinking as an excuse.

Good luck mate, it clearly isn't easy.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Wayne, It sure is a filthy habit and one that none of us are proud to have... No habit is easy to give up mate, but if there are alternatives to breathing all the chemicals that tobacco smoke has
    I think it is worth a try.
    Lets not forget the amount of carcinogenics that are associated with normal smokes and how many are associated with an e cig,
    I cant find any on Google can you.
    When you can control the amount of nicotine that you ingest and can lower the amount as you
    go I can not see any better method of giving up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, using a Canon is a filthy habit.

Smoking is a tragic addiction

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote : Darren, Smoking is a tragic addiction

Thing is when us old farts started smoking it was OK, Alpine with the cool mountain freshness , Peter Styvasent, The passport to smoking pleasure , The Winfield man , The Marlbrough Man etc , No one knew the dangers in the 60's , To late we we're hooked

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True

Makes me shake my head seeing youngsters starting though

God help my kids if I ever catch them smoking (anything)

I think the best thing the govt could do in the short term is to double the price again. Make a cigarette the same price as a stubby

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast