Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Mobile phone excess data charge - I'm in big trouble

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My boss's boss was telling me the other day that she was on holiday on some obscure Island, and her grandson asked if he could play a game on her phone. Without thinking about Roaming Data, she agreed to it, and even let him download a new game, and came home to a $480 dollar bill when she's never gone over her $29 cap ever. But yours makes hers look really minor. 1gb overnight is an extraordinary amount for a phone not in use to be pulling down. It would just about have to have been pulling something down the whole time to clock that up. Might be worth checking also that your phone isn't being accessed remotely by someone/something.
    I left my iPhone set to Internet Tethering once by accident (it basically makes the phone into a means for your laptop to connect to the internet without having to get a dongle or other device) when I'd used it to give my laptop internet access while I was out and about, and when I got home, spent the night doing all my usual stuff on here, and other forums, and facebooking, etc, and only found out when I got out my phone to send an SMS, that the whole night all the stuff I'd done on my laptop had been done via my mobile phone data plan instead of via my home wireless data plan. It was a tight month the rest of the month to get through without going over my data limit on the phone.
    Canon EOS 60D ..... EFS 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS - 430 EXII Speedlite - "eBay special" Remote Control Unit - Manfrotto 190XPROB w 804RC2 head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezookiel View Post
    My boss's boss was telling me the other day that she was on holiday on some obscure Island, and her grandson asked if he could play a game on her phone. Without thinking about Roaming Data, she agreed to it, and even let him download a new game, and came home to a $480 dollar bill when she's never gone over her $29 cap ever. But yours makes hers look really minor. 1gb overnight is an extraordinary amount for a phone not in use to be pulling down. It would just about have to have been pulling something down the whole time to clock that up. Might be worth checking also that your phone isn't being accessed remotely by someone/something.
    I left my iPhone set to Internet Tethering once by accident (it basically makes the phone into a means for your laptop to connect to the internet without having to get a dongle or other device) when I'd used it to give my laptop internet access while I was out and about, and when I got home, spent the night doing all my usual stuff on here, and other forums, and facebooking, etc, and only found out when I got out my phone to send an SMS, that the whole night all the stuff I'd done on my laptop had been done via my mobile phone data plan instead of via my home wireless data plan. It was a tight month the rest of the month to get through without going over my data limit on the phone.
    haha $480 is nothing for overseas roaming. Because of the nature of my work I sometimes have to keep my phone on roaming when I am overseas, so bills over $1000 I have now come to accept, sigh

but re. the OP, do raise a complaint or something as there has been people in the past who have won and had their bill decreased etc, mostly from their children accessing things without their consent and knowledge though.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post
    but re. the OP, do raise a complaint or something as there has been people in the past who have won and had their bill decreased etc, mostly from their children accessing things without their consent and knowledge though.
    I did raise a complain with the TIO, and Virgin did reduce the bill significantly from $2000 to $200 (independently of the complaint). I just decided trying to take it any further (ie trying to get the charges droped altogether) wasnt worth the extra hassle and stress.
    Shirl
    Gear - 7D, Canon 100mm macro f2.8L, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 24-70 f2.8, nifty fifty, tripod, hitech filters, lowepro versapack and a long wishlist!
    http://www.shirleymilburn.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/ShirleyMilburnPhotography