User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mobile phone excess data charge - I'm in big trouble

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's certainly a hard way to learn such a lesson! A task manager should greatly help with managing your usage though.

As other's have suggested programs like Juice Defender are good, the basic version is free and it basically shuts off your data connection when you aren't using the phone and can completely block some apps from downloading data without your permission.
    Ryan

D800 | Nikkor 24-70mm ƒ/2.8 | Cullmann Tripod |Manfrotto 680B Monopod | Lowepro Flipside 400 AW | 2x Yungnuo 560 flash & wireless trigger| FleaBay Lightstand, umbrella and collapsible softbox
    My Flickr site
    RSK Photography - Perth based Motorsport Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezookiel View Post
    My boss's boss was telling me the other day that she was on holiday on some obscure Island, and her grandson asked if he could play a game on her phone. Without thinking about Roaming Data, she agreed to it, and even let him download a new game, and came home to a $480 dollar bill when she's never gone over her $29 cap ever. But yours makes hers look really minor. 1gb overnight is an extraordinary amount for a phone not in use to be pulling down. It would just about have to have been pulling something down the whole time to clock that up. Might be worth checking also that your phone isn't being accessed remotely by someone/something.
    I left my iPhone set to Internet Tethering once by accident (it basically makes the phone into a means for your laptop to connect to the internet without having to get a dongle or other device) when I'd used it to give my laptop internet access while I was out and about, and when I got home, spent the night doing all my usual stuff on here, and other forums, and facebooking, etc, and only found out when I got out my phone to send an SMS, that the whole night all the stuff I'd done on my laptop had been done via my mobile phone data plan instead of via my home wireless data plan. It was a tight month the rest of the month to get through without going over my data limit on the phone.
    haha $480 is nothing for overseas roaming. Because of the nature of my work I sometimes have to keep my phone on roaming when I am overseas, so bills over $1000 I have now come to accept, sigh

but re. the OP, do raise a complaint or something as there has been people in the past who have won and had their bill decreased etc, mostly from their children accessing things without their consent and knowledge though.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post
    but re. the OP, do raise a complaint or something as there has been people in the past who have won and had their bill decreased etc, mostly from their children accessing things without their consent and knowledge though.
    I did raise a complain with the TIO, and Virgin did reduce the bill significantly from $2000 to $200 (independently of the complaint). I just decided trying to take it any further (ie trying to get the charges droped altogether) wasnt worth the extra hassle and stress.
    Shirl
    Gear - 7D, Canon 100mm macro f2.8L, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 24-70 f2.8, nifty fifty, tripod, hitech filters, lowepro versapack and a long wishlist!
    http://www.shirleymilburn.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/ShirleyMilburnPhotography

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like a reasonable outcome, Milbs. You'll certainly keep tabs on the usage now, and they would have been given a wake up too, if only that they took so long to tell you.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have heard of someone getting a bill for internet roaming whilst they were overseas for upwards of $22,000!! Luckily it was waived!! One of my workers here had a bill for over $6,000, but that was alsl waived! It really pays to be vigilant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stupid question from an old fart who has a normal mobile that does'nt do anything except make phone calls , Prepaid, Who or what is TIO ? I do have a 14yr son

PS : He has a new Android thingy , We hope our plan for him is safe http://www.amaysim.com.au/?cid=gsems
    Last edited by William; 28-11-2011 at 5:29pm.
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Who me?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who or what is TIO ?

I'm guessing Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman
    Last edited by dbax; 28-11-2011 at 5:37pm.
    Cheers David.

Canon 40D/EF-S 17-85 mm IS/Kenko Extenson Tubes/Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II (nifty fifty)
    Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 /Sigma 70-200/ Sigma 1.4 teleconverter/ some Conkin filters | Adobe Photoshop CS6

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are right, David.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my understanding, Virgin would have no clue what the data would be used for? Being in 4 hour blocks might be a sign to go into:

Settings
    Accounts and Sync

And then go through checking to see what was on a 4 hour sync cycle. My facebook syncs every 4 hours for example.

Having said that - 1gb is a ridiculous amount of data - the second point I'd also make is that 3G watchdog is not always spot on. I went over a while back by 20mb or so. 3G watchdog was still stating I was on 80% - but I got an SMS from Telstra stating that I was over my limit by xx mb's. I've since learnt not to put all my trust into 3G watchdog, and if I'm getting around 80% - I'll generally turn 3G data off entirely.

On the Desire, you can simply hold the power button down briefly. Then Hit 'Mobile Network'

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good grief......I`m glad I don`t have a mobile......yes, I`m a dinosaur, I know it.

A year or so back I get a phone call about a new phone plan which supplies me with a free mobile......

me....I don`t want a mobile...I`ve never had one...
    them.....what, you don`t want a mobile....
    me...that`s right...
    them....everyone has a mobile these days....
    me....I don`t....
    them....I bet all your friends have a mobile....
    me....yes, I think they do....
    them....how do you communicate with them then....
    me....I use this phone I`m on now....
    silence......hang up tone...
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1 - old dog
    0 - phone hawker

(Look, I have one, but then... [insert what goes without saying]... )

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently had a $3000 bill for the same thing. Data roaming is the issue here not 3G. I was in Bali and although I was not trying to download anything the phone was trying to synch with the carriers in Aus and Bali. Kinda 'are you there...yep I am......are you there...yep I am' repeated the the tune of $12 per second!!!

Telstra reversed most if the charge however it is noted on their website on the dangers of data roaming so it was good of them to play fair.

Lesson learned

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This time when OS, I bought a local SIM card. (So much cheeper than global ruminating I could buy 1000 chickens with the change!) And further, with GR I could talk and SMS in some places, while in others I could not SMS. My mobile carrier, though happy to charge for GR usage, could not tell me why. So again, next time I will also get a local SIM card, End of my OFF-THEME anecdote.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by old dog View Post
    good grief......I`m glad I don`t have a mobile......yes, I`m a dinosaur, I know it.
    +1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my coworker got sting with $200 bill for data charges. He checked his itemised bill and found period of charges. The two weeks bill mentioned he used data were the weeks he was at home taking care of his wife and new born baby. He had packet data off, always on wifi. He said he didn't get time to surf anything on wifi. He contacted them via phone first but it didn't went anywhere so he started posting on their twitter accounts. After not getting any positive response he lodged complaint with TIO. 2 days later he got call from company and they waved $180 dollars.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12