User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: PAL and NTSC Does it make a difference for HD Cameras?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PAL and NTSC Does it make a difference for HD Cameras?

Is there any real difference with superzoom cameras that take HD video if they are an NTSC model?
    Went to buy one for my daughter this weekend and noted that the Sony Cybershot DSC HX100V and Panasonic Lumix FZ150 come in NTSC and Pal versions. Not sure about the Canon Powershot HS 40.
    Some places only have the NTSC version and these are Australian retailers.

I though HD video was standard ie digitial and not related to the old analog formats.

Help!

Cheers

Kevin
    Hobart Camera semi newbie

Canon 50D
    Canon EF-S 17-55 2.8
    Tamron 18-270 mm
    Canon 10-22mm lens
    Canon 50 mm 1.4
    Benro Carbon Fibre Tripod C-258 + B-1 Head
    Canon 10D EF 100mm 1:2.8 Macro Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX
    imac 24" 2.8 Aperature II

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most modern TV's will set themselves up automatically for either PAL or NTSC (Never The Same Colour Twice) so I don't think it's huge problem.

However, if you want to share movies with other Australians or Europeans, I'd go for a PAL device.

With many new cameras, you are able to slelect which system you want to use anyway.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A question. You've read the specs, does it say that there are two version of these cameras, one in PAL and one in NTSC? I would have thought that all cameras come switchable between the two. A variety of P&S models I've had certainly do. NOTE, though, that is the output is switchable.

I (edit in this k) "k"now that connecting the old PAL video output to NTSC gives a monochrome image with uncontrollable vertical rolling.

And lastly, it's only what I've come to understand, but full HD video is 1920 x 1080 pixels, though I think frame rate differes between PAL and NTSC.

When I feel more motivated I might look these things up. The first part of my answer is the main point I was making.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 07-11-2011 at 5:29pm.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "In principle, PAL DVDs have a compelling advantage over NTSC DVDs. PAL DVDs have 576 pixels of vertical resolution versus 480 pixels of vertical resolution. That's a 20% increase in resolution for a PAL DVD as compared to an NTSC DVD. Increased resolution translates into a better looking image. However, this is an overly simplistic way of looking at the whole PAL vs NTSC issue as there are other factors that need to be taken into account. "
    http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/article.../palvsntsc.asp
    You can call me Jez

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Australia operates on PAL.

If you edit the videos using something like premier pro or after effects, then there is no problem since the video can be edited in both NTSC or PAL and at a numerous variety of frame rates, and then later be exported in AVi or whatever format you desire, which will play fine regardless of where in the world you are and what device you are using.

However if the files are not gonna be processed, and just played/shared as they are then ensure it is a model that supports PAL.
    Canon 60D - 24-105 F4 L - Sigma 10-20 - Kit lenses - 50mm F:1.8 - Tamron 90mm F:2.8 Macro - 430 exII _ Extension Tube Set

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the kind replies. Yes all the video will be processed, so it really doesn't matter for me if its pal or NTSC . I will still see if I can get a pal model though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flame70 View Post
    "In principle, PAL DVDs have a compelling advantage over NTSC DVDs. PAL DVDs have 576 pixels of vertical resolution versus 480 pixels of vertical resolution. That's a 20% increase in resolution for a PAL DVD as compared to an NTSC DVD. Increased resolution translates into a better looking image. However, this is an overly simplistic way of looking at the whole PAL vs NTSC issue as there are other factors that need to be taken into account. "
    http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/article.../palvsntsc.asp
    That's only with analogue transmissions and TV's.
    SD and HD for either NTSC or PAL have the same number of lines, namely 760 lines for SD and 1080 for HD.
    There will also be a Super HD coming out soon, which has around 4,000 lines.

The main difference is the frame rate, where PAL is 25fps and NTSC is 30 (or 29.97) FPS.
    However, colour is handled better in PAL than NTSC.
    Don't forget that NTSC was invented in the 40's, and PAL in the late 50's early 60's so the technology is more advanced with PAL.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't think that camera manufacturers made PAL or NTSC only cameras, that is, cameras that only do one or the other but not both.
    It doesn't makes sense to make them one format only, as it then makes it harder for distribution(in a logistics sense, as well as at the manufacturing level and support.

if a firmware update is required for the camera, one would be required for one camera anbd another version required for another camera. This requires more work from the manufacturer and or logistics company to track all the required support issues.

I'd say that if the camera is listed as a NTSC or PAL version it's only in that this is the default setup, and there is almost certain to be a menu option somewhere to switch between either format.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AFAIK all HD cameras can step down to lower res mode, anything below 720 do differentiate their frame rates with PAL (25fps) or NTSC (30fps) and etc. All HD formats starting from 720p uses 30fps and are rectified industry standards, therefore, PAL or NTSC have no effect on HD format at all.