Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad news for my Pentax friends.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bad news for my Pentax friends.

To all of my Pentax-toting friends on AP, especially Kym, I regret to announce that I have gone over to the "Dark Side" and purchased a Nikon D7000 with a couple of Nikor VR lenses. Please don't anyone tell, kiwi, ok?

I honestly don't know what came over me. I've been planning for a K-5 for months and just had a "brain snap" while out shopping with the child bride this afternoon. I picked up Nikor 18-55 and 55-300 VR lenses in the bundle for around the same price as a K-5 with the 18-135 WR lens that was my previous object of lustful desire. What can I say ... mea culpa.

Haven't worked out what to do with all the Pentax kit yet. SWMBO is being recalcitrant about joining me in my passion for our hobby, so it may have to be recycled to a good home elsewhere. We'll see. The only thing of which I'm certain is that it will take me till Christmas to work out how to use the darned thing!

Once again, please accept my deepest apologies for deserting the cause without notice or leave.
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    congrats Waz.....it`s rather nice over here on the dark side. The D7000 is a snack to operate......just stick it in auto and Bob`s your uncle...
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeez Waz, you sure did have a brain freeze for a bit there. Congrats I think Sounds like a nice setup too.
    Shelley
    (constructive criticism welcome)

www.shelleypearsonphotography.com

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by old dog View Post
    congrats Waz.....it`s rather nice over here on the dark side. The D7000 is a snack to operate......just stick it in auto and Bob`s your uncle...
    I dunno, Graeme. I still feel kinda "dirty", y'know.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
    Jeez Waz, you sure did have a brain freeze for a bit there. Congrats I think Sounds like a nice setup too.
    What swung me over, Shelley, was the ability to add a TC to my new 55-300 VR for longer reach while birding. How's that for "bitten"? I could have spent a similar amount getting a new Bigma for the K-x, but would have felt kinda silly with such a big lens on such a small body ... story of my life, really; well in reverse anyway.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol, well I shall be waiting for them bird shots Waz - start on the ducks, then move up to the raptors and then to really get confused go looking for a thornbill or something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your next purchase could be a 70-200Vr II with either a 1.7x TC or the 2XIII TC....gives you either a 340mm or a 400mm FOV..and one of the reasons I moved from pentax to nikon

expensive..but the only lens I will never sell

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh wow, Nikon - the right choice. You will love the D7000.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDo View Post
    To all of my Pentax-toting friends on AP, especially Kym, I regret to announce that I have gone over to the "Dark Side" and purchased a Nikon
    Ah, so the Official AusPhotography Pentax User Group has, what, three members left now?

I honestly don't know what came over me.
    Clearly you wanted a decent camera, but unfortunately you've raised the bar rather low and gone for bronze.

If you want to go for gold, you can on a Canon.

Haven't worked out what to do with all the Pentax kit yet.
    Into the compost bin, I expect.

The only thing of which I'm certain is that it will take me till Christmas to work out how to use the darned thing!
    The flight deck of an Airbus A340-600 is simpler to use than a Nikon DSLR.

Enjoy your new toy, and I do mean toy. :-D
    Last edited by Xenedis; 07-11-2011 at 12:33am.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno, Graeme. I still feel kinda "dirty", y'know.
    As you should
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    Gold rings are on Nikon.
    Red Ring of death is on Canon's L(uxury) lenses. (Seriously, walk into a bar and talk about your red ring... )

At least you might be able to focus on your subject now...
    Last edited by statitica; 07-11-2011 at 2:59am.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the right light side...cause photography is all about the light, and you defected from the dark side.
    Last edited by ricktas; 07-11-2011 at 7:40am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I thought we was mates Waz

Derek
    Pentax K-3 and some Sigma lens's

CC always welcome but please ask first.Thank you, Derek

Trust in God,but tie up your Camel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Totally understandable that you made the move!

By this time next year EVERY photographer will be using Nikon! One more down, 4 to go...

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    Ah, so the Official AusPhotography Pentax User Group has, what, three members left now?
    That many!

Clearly you wanted a decent camera, but unfortunately you've raised the bar rather low and gone for bronze.

Fools gold doesn't hold value for those that don't appreciate the randomly detachable mirrors and how readily a certain brand that sells too well reacts to the environment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also had a Pentax K-x, and it was a great little camera, but in the end, I found it too limiting for me, especially with lenses and other accessories.
    I had a tough time trying to decide which way to go, either Nikon or Canon, but Canon won me over with their 100-400L lens and all the other toys you can get for Canons both from Canon and the aftermarket stuff and the fact that their lenses, while juat as good as Nikon's, are generally just a little bit cheaper to buy.

Once you get the flow of how it works, I'm syure the D7000 will be easy to use.
    Just try to learn one bit at a time, and you'll soon discover that it just all falls into place.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by statitica View Post
    Gold rings are on Nikon.
    Mutton dressed as lamb, you cannot polish a turd, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by statitica View Post
    Red Ring of death is on Canon's L(uxury) lenses. (Seriously, walk into a bar and talk about your red ring...
    All the ladies want is to see my fat white 300mm...
    Last edited by Xenedis; 07-11-2011 at 5:10pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennymiata View Post
    I also had a Pentax K-x, and it was a great little camera, but in the end, I found it too limiting for me, especially with lenses and other accessories.
    I had a tough time trying to decide which way to go, either Nikon or Canon, but Canon won me over with their 100-400L lens and all the other toys you can get for Canons both from Canon and the aftermarket stuff and the fact that their lenses, while juat as good as Nikon's, are generally just a little bit cheaper to buy.

Once you get the flow of how it works, I'm syure the D7000 will be easy to use.
    Just try to learn one bit at a time, and you'll soon discover that it just all falls into place.
    Pentax users like me in the past use and love Pentax because of its exceptional Limited prime lenses, thats what its really known and highly regarded for. Theres no point buying a Pentax if you dont utilize those types of lenses, and instead use ones that are easily available on other systems - you would be missing out - and better off switching to Canon and Nikon etc anyway.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    By this time next year EVERY photographer will be using Nikon!
    Now that would be something of a Jack London moment.

In the 19th century, Jack London went 'slumming' in the Whitechapel and Spitalfields districts of East London, which at the time were the worst slums in the British Empire, where vice, criminality, disease, death and scum were rampant.

He deliberately lived how the poverty-stricken, lowest creatures of society lived.

Switching to Nikon would be less bearable.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb666 View Post
    That many!
    Fools gold doesn't hold value for those that don't appreciate the randomly detachable mirrors and how readily a certain brand that sells too well reacts to the environment.
    Drop your Nikon into the ocean and see how well that fares. |-)

If you do, I might have to report you to Greenpeace for environmental pollution, though.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoa Whoa Xenedis. Did'nt Jack London write "fiction" eg White fang.Your call sir.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast