Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you keep your lens clean

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you keep your lens clean

I was wondering how other people keep their lens clean. I used the microfiber cloth in the beginning but found that there was a lot of lint on the front element just after cleaning. Then switched to the paper wipes and found they do a better job they do not leave any lint. I would like to know is it recommended to use the paper wipes what are the downsides of it.
    Dwarak Calayampundi

Canon 5D Mark II, 7 D Lens Canon 24-105mm L Canon 16-35mm II L Canon 100mm Sigma 10-20mm Canon 50mm 1.8
    http://www.wix.com/dwarak/landscapes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a microfiber cloth, the ones you get with Protog every time you buy something from them lol, works very well for me lately in dirty environments. When I am shooting at salty locations I always get a damp towel or cloth and wipe down the camera and lens body and element after, then clean element again with the microfiber cloth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep same as JM Tran expcept I also find I need to clean chalk off my camera a lot too, either from loose chalk in the air from other climbers or my own chalky hands if I'm shooting between climbs. I find a wet towel works well for chalk.

I'll get the rocket blower out too if there is a bit of lint left on the front element after cleaning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For dust, I use a lens pen.
    I hold the lens inverted, so that when I brush out the dust, it falls down onto the ground.
    If the brush won't clean it, then I use a microfibre cloth (a big one I got at an optician) and failing that, a lens cleaning solution with the cloth.
    The lens pen also has a small, round cleaner on the other end of the brush, and I have also used this from time to time if the mark is small and hard to remove.

It's important NOT to rub dust with a cloth, otherwise you can leave tiny scratches on the front element.
    You are always better to either blow or brush off the dust first, then clean the lens.

Lens Pens are great to carry in your bag.
    I got 3 of them, in a micro-fibre pocket for $35 at the photo show in Darling Harbour earlier this year, but you can buy them off Chinese websites for just a few $$.
    One end has a retractable brush (good as it is kept clean and dust free) and the other has a cap and under the cap is a little piece of of some special cloth which you can use to get rid of more difficult bits.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    I don't
    Guess what I'm the same , If I really have to on a morning shoot , I always wear pure cotton T-Shirts , A huff on the lens and a quick wipe in a circular motion from the centre out with the shirt , Other than that I dont clean that often either And I do have a micro cleaning cloth , But I find they just smudge around a bit , Pure cotton works well
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My lenses don't often get dirty, but when they do, I blow the surface dust off with an air blower, and then use a combination of a microfibre lens cleaning cloth and lens cleaning pen to do the rest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy a UV Filter for every lens you own, then never take it off. But For Cleaning I use a Lenspen and Microfibre Cloths.

Cheers,
    Sam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, please don't. UV filters are a waste of money and degrade iq.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Nah, please don't. UV filters are a waste of money and degrade iq.
    I'll second that
    A man that’s lived a quiet uneventful life dies peacefully in his sleep but a man that’s lived an exciting life goes to his grave shouting “man that was one hell of a fun journey”

Sony 550a vanguard 263AT Tripod with GH-100 Pistol Grip Ball Head.Manfrotto monopod+342 Ball head',Tamron 28-200 XR [IF], Sigma 17-35 DG EX HSM,Sony 18-70 sam kit lens,Sony 70-300 kit lens,sony Dt 2.8/30 macro and Minolta 35-70 F4 macro plus sony cybershot 707

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tassam380 View Post
    Buy a UV Filter for every lens you own
    No thanks.

Why?

Explanation here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me neither , No UV Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hahahaha, the monthly UV filter debate/slagging

my UV filters which came with some 2nd hand lenses I bought serve their purpose of dust protection very, very well! They keep a particular spot on my on shelf very clean and free of dust below, and also protecting the wood from harmful UV rays too.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post

my UV filters which came with some 2nd hand lenses I bought serve their purpose of dust protection very, very well! They keep a particular spot on my on shelf very clean and free of dust below, and also protecting the wood from harmful UV rays too.
    They make handy drink coasters, too.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, the thread is about keeping a lens clean, most lenses have two ends and a body, please let us concentrate on what we do / don't do for maintenance rather than diverging into the same old same old discussion with filters.

A few knowledgeable opinions and a link have been provided on the UV filter subject.

So what other cleaning maintenance is required to keep a lens in optimal shape?
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post

Thanks for the tip JM Wondered what to do with the ones I have

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont muck with them to much Andrew, To much cleaning can be bad , My main problem would be Mist and Salty Spray, Micro cloths dont cut it , They just smudge heaps , On the fly Cotton works well IMO - Bill
    Last edited by William; 04-11-2011 at 7:45pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    OK, the thread is about keeping a lens clean, most lenses have two ends and a body, please let us concentrate on what we do / don't do for maintenance rather than diverging into the same old same old discussion with filters.

A few knowledgeable opinions and a link have been provided on the UV filter subject.

keep the lenses and gear in a dry place/storage that is not humid - in order to prevent fungus and other nasties from growing inside the bodies. Where you live and work plays a part in that - here in Adelaide it is very dry so I dont need to worry about that problem, for someone shooting out of North QLD or Singapore etc it is an important factor.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    IMO and IME, there's not much to it.

My advice:

1. Use lens hoods when shooting.
    2. Use lens caps when not shooting.
    3. Use a blower to remove grit/dust before making any contact with the glass.
    4. Use a clean microfibre lens cloth to wipe the flass.
    5. Use a lens cleaning pen (which consists of a brush and carbon-coated pad) for finer cleaning.
    6. Don't use window cleaner, newspaper, paper towels, tissues, shirts, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ Xen, Have you ever been down on a Pre Dawn shoot (I know you have) , and encounterd Temperature Inversion , Fogging of the Filters is a big problem , How about the occasional wave splash on the lens or filter , What do you use then ? I still find Pure Cotton the best thing because it has the sponge effect , Where as Micro cloths dont , Wondering what your thought is in this Situation
    Last edited by William; 04-11-2011 at 7:55pm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast