User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: New Gear and Travel Camera Upgrades

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Gear and Travel Camera Upgrades

After a long absence due to too much work and not enough free time, I went and spent the day on photographic walkabout with my teenage girls. They are both keen photographers and have a better eyes for the unusual and interesting than I do.

I have had a request from my youngest for a new camera to travel while we hike in Nepal. Something lighter weight than a traditional DSLR but with some room to grow with.
    One of the girls is happy taking her Panasonic DMC-FZ35 - a travel superzoom that has been superseded a few times but still takes quite nice pics and video. Even my wife has asked about a new simple point and shoot for her as hers has stopped working after 5 years of use.
    What happened to the days of a family just having one camera??!!

To complicate things further I have been doing the search again for a lighter system than my Canon DSLR. I fine the biggest bug bears for me in travel with my 50D is:
    1. Weight
    2. Using one body and having to frequently change lenses - I usually travel with a wide angle EFS 10-22, lower light zoom EF-S 17-55 2.8 and a do all Tamron 18-270 when I just cant be bothered changing lenses or need the reach. I love my wide angle EFS 10-22 as it has allowed me to get shots that no one else in the family has managed with their own cameras.
    3. No Video on the 50D
    4. 50D sensor is a bit on the noisy side compared to todays offerings.

So I have been toying with the following ideas:
    1. Buying a new mirrorless system such as Sony Nex5N or 7, or Panasonic G3 or even the Olympus EP3 for both my daughter and I.
    2. OR putting up with the weight and getting a 7D and taking the 50D also - one with a wide attached and one another lens - these would be my toys.
    3. Getting my daughter a superzoom like her sister - Sony, Canon, and Panasonic all produce nice superzooms. Wife would be happy with anything small say a canon S95.

Thank god I have been working like a trooper to pay for everthing!

I have to say I really like the look of Sony's Nex-7 and 5N - the lens are a bit limiting at the moment. Love sony's panorama maker - so much easier than my photoshop attempts. Also despite shrinking the bodies, you cant get around physics and the fact that while using an APSC sensor gives great low light performance, the lens will be still the same size - hence huge compared to the body and still heavy.
    The Olympus EP3 - nice size but video appears to be a bit of a let down.
    Panasonic G3 looks good.
    I cant help but feel the mirrorless systems will take off but are still in a huge state of flux.

As you can probably tell I am in a state of confusion - that usually leads me to doing nothing!
    My key criteria really is being able to capture candid shots of people in my travels, Wide angle shots of landscapes and areas where space is tight. i particularly like low light photos and would like a less noisy sensor. Yes I have noise reduction software.

Sorry for the long ramble - it helps get my thoughts together. Damn my girls beat me hands down with their creative shots today. Again it shows a lot has to whats behind the camera rather than the camera itself!
    Hobart Camera semi newbie

Canon 50D
    Canon EF-S 17-55 2.8
    Tamron 18-270 mm
    Canon 10-22mm lens
    Canon 50 mm 1.4
    Benro Carbon Fibre Tripod C-258 + B-1 Head
    Canon 10D EF 100mm 1:2.8 Macro Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX
    imac 24" 2.8 Aperature II

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "To complicate things further I have been doing the search again for a lighter system than my Canon DSLR. I fine the biggest bug bears for me in travel with my 50D is:
    1. Weight
    2. Using one body and having to frequently change lenses - I usually travel with a wide angle EFS 10-22, lower light zoom EF-S 17-55 2.8 and a do all Tamron 18-270 when I just cant be bothered changing lenses or need the reach. I love my wide angle EFS 10-22 as it has allowed me to get shots that no one else in the family has managed with their own cameras.
    3. No Video on the 50D
    4. 50D sensor is a bit on the noisy side compared to todays offerings."

What about the 60D, much lighter to handle than the 7D and 50D and you can use the lenses you have for the very reasons that you stated and it gives you the video thats you want!

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that - something I haven't considered. I might take my gear into a camera shop and feel the weight difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 60D is just a little smaller than the 7D, and lighter in weight, and if you want to do video, the flip out screen on the 60D is great for that.
    IQ is vitually identical between the 7D and 60D, and if you don't need the faster frame rate of the 7D, then go for the 60D.
    You'll love it.

Take a look at the Fuji superzooms too.
    They take great pictures and video. I still think Fuji make the best lenses for smaller cameras, as well as cinematography lenses.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tried the new Nikon V1 and Olympus E-p3 today. I have to say I like the Olympus as a nice travel solution and they have a great range of lenses. They sure are light compared to my Canon gear.
    Anyone here have the Pen 3?
    I might have look at the reviews and if they look ok I might take the plunge. Looks like a great option to complement my SLR when I can't be bothered with all the weight.