Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  13
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Freo Military Tunnels Shoot

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3rd's OK foe me. Will keep up with the thread.
    "Nature photography is about choosing a location, crawling through dirt, being bitten by insects and occasionally taking a great image". - Wayne Eddy.

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7D, 17-40mm f/4L,
    24-105mm f/4L
    + Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS +400mm f/5.6L + Canon 1.4xTC + Canon 100 EF f2.8 USM + 430-EX

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is getting better, what about 4.00 ish Saturday the 3Rd at the tunnel complex, we can setup and experiment a bit before sunset.
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosta View Post
    This is getting better, what about 4.00 ish Saturday the 3Rd at the tunnel complex, we can setup and experiment a bit before sunset.
    Any links to what/where is "Freo military tunnels" lol!! Is this something we need tickets for, or with set opening times??
    Shirl
    Gear - 7D, Canon 100mm macro f2.8L, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 24-70 f2.8, nifty fifty, tripod, hitech filters, lowepro versapack and a long wishlist!
    http://www.shirleymilburn.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/ShirleyMilburnPhotography

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Milbs1 View Post
    Any links to what/where is "Freo military tunnels" lol!! Is this something we need tickets for, or with set opening times??
    I'll have a look tomorrow and post results, I was of the idea they're free to enter, but not sure.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, some updated news, (Shirl, you listening) I spoke to Peter King this morning, he has been to the site (http://www.artillerywa.org.au/RAAHS/history.htm) and was planning to do a site visit today to get a feel and maybe a few shots to wetten our appertites with. I hear it's raining in the big smoke, (41deg C where I am) and I don't know of his success or valiant Effort/failure yet. Anyway, the tunnels are only open on Sunday between 10.00 - 15.00 Hrs, so that f@@ks that, but we may be able to still access the gun platforms and left over artillery pieces. From what the information I've gathered (Through some dodgy sources of course) it's good for fading light oppertunities (Sesuts, long walks on the beach, oops, sorry that's my Eharmony line) and some light painting.

SO,

Milbs has offered to do a Cher impersonation for us 'eledegly' that will be a sight to see.

So it's not all doom and gloom, please stay posted, hopefully Peter (No pressure Pete) will come through with the goods/pics-something, If not, well have to go and take some overselves. Oh, and, I'm Shirl will want to stab me with the blunt end of her telephoto lens, maybe a Benny Hill chase, key the music....LOL

See you all there.

Blue,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No Pressure! Yeah right!

OK so I did the recce and there are lots of possibilities.
    The carpark at the bottom of the walk is of some concern to me as there is broken glass all over from car windows. Poole place or Vlamingh Parade may be more suitable for security.

As you approach from the carpark, heading uphill facing south, the first thing you come across is a gun emplacement.

AS you get to it you then see the observation post to your front left.

If you walk past the approach to the Observation post then you come to another gun.

Just past that is the remnants of the original guns.

The observation post has possibilities fro elevated views of Rottnest and the water.

Yes that is rain approaching and yes I got a little damp. Camera was kept under cover.

Looking South you can see Freo harbour.

North is Cottesloe.

If you look east there is Monument hill which has an even higher elevation.

Just behind the Observation post is the Command Post. A concrete bunker that may lend itself to some interesting light interpretations?

I have put in a call to the WA Artillery Historical Society and am awaiting their return call. Just wondering about possibilities and limitations. Would love to get into the tunnels and have a light painting play.

Recently bought off eBay several sets of "Laser Finger Beams". Despite their name they are not lasers but Finger mountable LED lights. Ask PhotmD what he thinks of them as I gave one set to his son to play with. I reckon they are going to be a hit on the night!

On the 3rd Sunset is 19:09 almost due West, with Moonrise 12:45 and 55% waxing Gibbous. Might be an interesting Light Show around 20:00.

Last edited by peterking; 15-11-2011 at 1:39am.
    Peter.

Some of my photo's are at www.peterking.id.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

either you have gone troppo or drunk too much!!
    I needed a good laugh, thank you Mr Wiggle x

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice work yet again Mr King, a true champ at reconnaisance!!
    Presume there are less steps that my last light painting adventure with you guys?? Oh yes, that's right, Blue had a poorly leg from playing in the mud with the big boys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No steps unless we can get into the tunnels, just inclines and declines.

I have ideas of the "Cher" type shot using the Laser finger Beams attached to your top. Reckon given enough time we might be able to get "Old Glory" to shine on your shirt?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may be busy on the 3rd after all!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whilst doing the recce on Monday I called the number on the sign, having an idea rattle around my head, and left a message. My call has just been returned and it may be possible for us to have our own private tour. I am trying to get hold of the person responsible to see what can be arranged for the 3rd. The only thing I know is that they do do private tours and the fee for the group is $75.00. Don't know as yet how long we will be allowed to remain in the tunnels.

If there is enough interest then do I go ahead? What time would you like?
    My idea is the 3rd with a start time around 5pm giving us time to get some photo's in the tunnels then get outside for sunset and night shots.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the idea of the tour and private time is worth paying for. However if I was paying, I'd want a bit of free roam time and would be a bit less interested in the military history and a lot more interested in the photographic oppertunities.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter, thanks for that, after 14 yrs in the army attached to several artillery units, I know enough about things that go bang in the night.

But, I'm with enduro with the photographic ops. Thanks again mate. I'm there either way..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good Peter, preferable to the Cher idea floating around
    Agree with Enduro, a 5 minute condensced history will do for me!

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good Peter, preferable to the Cher idea floating around
    Well, that's just not good enough, I have go all out to get the fluro pink with silver sparkle 100 MPH tape. Now what to do with it?

LOL

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shame about POTH 280 Shirl, the shot had all your trademarks all over it, got my vote, as I picked it to be yours, and that shot and the other one that won you you're sig POTW are both great shots mate.

Hope to see you on Saturday, will be good to catch up with everyone again. No news from Jeff?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers mate, both those shots were taken on the same morning at the same place, very different looks! I might get down there again this weekend, although this time its a family weekend away rather than photography.

Definitely out on the 3rd, will be good to catch up. Will send Jeff a text (when I get my phone service back, thats a whole other story!).

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are we all on for tomorrow at 3.00 ish or so, please post your replys, please all check back here tomorro, I'll be there from about 3.30 tomorrow, hope to see you there.

Blue..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did I miss something...is this still happening on the 3rd??

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did I miss something...is this still happening on the 3rd??
    No your all good, I took too much crack the other night, some would think!!! LOL.

Ask Peter..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast