User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: undura lava tubes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

undura lava tubes

oh well just booked a weekend at the tubes seems very popular not a lot of accomodation available, may check out mt surprise as well anyone been there ?

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, but it is on my wishlist, I will look forward to seeing your shots
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've visited both places - enjoyed them immensely. Depends what you like and what you are looking for.
    Lesley

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh well looking forward to it now

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day umajo

Nice to hear from you :-)

Been to the lava tubes multiple times - used to take campervan/caravan tour groups up thru NQ & out to Lawn Hill NP before the 'great GFC'

Undara is a complex place - all tours are done via their own vehicles & guides > guides are good & knowledgable
    They have several lava tubes that they use for visitors, alternating them to give each some exposure time & a rest time for the locals living down the tubes - and also some flood after rains

I would suggest that you plan to spend 2 nights with them - do a 1/2 day underground tour & the sunset 'champers & nibbles' tour

Shooting wise > you can take a small tripod with you, there is time on every tour [but not ages & ages]
    I would reckon that the 18-55 would probably do most of it underground; you might find a few things for your 55-200 as well [tho I have used my panny and its lovely 18x zoom and got lots of stuff]

Undara will not allow flash pix of the bats coming out of their caves at dusk - bugga -

Cobbold Gorge has a bit more to offer we 'togs than Mt Surprise - if you can get down there & do one of their tours, and
    Lawn Hill NP is worth a week at least - road via Burketown is in good nik at the moment ... we did it in July this year

Any more I can help with??
    Regards, Phil
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure on his current status but not that long ago AP member Andrew.S was listed as the manager at Undara.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks ozzie cant wait now but knowing my luck it will rain , we were going to paluma to try for the golden bower bird but would you believe we know
    where his bower is and cyclone yasi took out the bridge and cant get there now

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    weekend is geting closer and i am getting excited getting my gear all ready

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day umajo

Sounds good ...
    When you're with Undarra, ask them for directions to the volcano crater 1/2 way between the main highway & the Undarra site [it's on the left as you drive into the park] and about 1/2km off the access road ~ which btw is bitumen all the way in !
    You can walk to the top of the old crater, and if you're really keen, then walk down into the old crater to the bottom ~ not often you can brag about going down into a volcano ~ might sound crazy, probably is, but it's fun to do & depending upon the weather, can give you some good pix

Also the sunset champers & nibbles tour takes you to an off-line peak where you can get some 'pretty' images of the setting sun & landscapes while enjoying a quaff & nibbles

Many of the lava tubes are so large they can fit a suburban house without the house touching the sides or the roof - good w/angle lens stuff, then there are the bats in the roof and so it goes on ...

Enjoy it ~, Phil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OzzieTraveller View Post
    G'day umajo

Sounds good ...
    When you're with Undarra, ask them for directions to the volcano crater 1/2 way between the main highway & the Undarra site [it's on the left as you drive into the park] and about 1/2km off the access road ~ which btw is bitumen all the way in !
    You can walk to the top of the old crater, and if you're really keen, then walk down into the old crater to the bottom ~ not often you can brag about going down into a volcano ~ might sound crazy, probably is, but it's fun to do & depending upon the weather, can give you some good pix

Also the sunset champers & nibbles tour takes you to an off-line peak where you can get some 'pretty' images of the setting sun & landscapes while enjoying a quaff & nibbles

Many of the lava tubes are so large they can fit a suburban house without the house touching the sides or the roof - good w/angle lens stuff, then there are the bats in the roof and so it goes on ...

Enjoy it ~, Phil
    Phil I'm muscling in on this thread to ask a question as well - we're planning a trip up that way and further up to cape york next August Sept. Is it ok to take the good camera gear 5DII etc given the dust and vibration etc or is it too hard to protect it all?
    Judy
    Canon 5DII, Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM , Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM, Lensbaby Sweet 35, 580EXII, Manfrotto Tripod, CS3 & LR5
    http://www.pbase.com/judyd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by umajo View Post
    weekend is geting closer and i am getting excited getting my gear all ready
    sounds a wonderful trip umajo - hope you have a fantastic time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Judy - I travel a lot around Aus - preferring remote places - I take my 40D, 5DII and L lens with me everywhere. They are always in the 4WD within easy reach - yes they get dusty and have a few bump marks on them. One of my lens rolled out of the car once and onto the ground when I jumped out to take a photo. Sometimes they get bounced around in the vehicle and I usually put a pillow or similar around them. I guess I should treat my equipment with more care, but it's too time consuming extracting a camera from a dust proof bag everytime you see a photo opportunity, the moment is often lost. Been to Cape York a couple of times and even to the north of India which was very dusty.
    I haven't had a major problem with dust inside my camera and lenses.
    Lesley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Bray View Post
    Judy - I travel a lot around Aus - preferring remote places - I take my 40D, 5DII and L lens with me everywhere. They are always in the 4WD within easy reach - yes they get dusty and have a few bump marks on them. One of my lens rolled out of the car once and onto the ground when I jumped out to take a photo. Sometimes they get bounced around in the vehicle and I usually put a pillow or similar around them. I guess I should treat my equipment with more care, but it's too time consuming extracting a camera from a dust proof bag everytime you see a photo opportunity, the moment is often lost. Been to Cape York a couple of times and even to the north of India which was very dusty.
    I haven't had a major problem with dust inside my camera and lenses.
    Lesley
    thanks so much for this info Lesley - like you say i want to take the good gear for all the photo opps but don't want to create ongoing problems. You've totally put my mind at rest. thanks
    Judy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Judy

I'd generally agree with Lesley - it's not too different from other things in life ... look after it & treat things kindly ...
    I've been on-the-wallaby on & off for lots of time since the 1960s and dust, knocks & rattles are just one of them-there things

Over the past 12-18 months with the pentax, I have had lots of dust-bunnies as unwanted-travellers-on-board ~ but as for dust in lenses -nup, dust causing issues with other stuff -nup ... it all rolls along

Hope this also helps your travels
    Regards, Phil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OzzieTraveller View Post
    G'day Judy

I'd generally agree with Lesley - it's not too different from other things in life ... look after it & treat things kindly ...
    I've been on-the-wallaby on & off for lots of time since the 1960s and dust, knocks & rattles are just one of them-there things

Over the past 12-18 months with the pentax, I have had lots of dust-bunnies as unwanted-travellers-on-board ~ but as for dust in lenses -nup, dust causing issues with other stuff -nup ... it all rolls along

Hope this also helps your travels
    Regards, Phil
    thanks so much Phil - greatly appreciated to hear your comments as well. I'm delighted to know that i can take my gear 'cos after all taking photos is part of the reason for exploring our great outdoors!!
    thanks again
    Judy