User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  21

Thread: Photography screws with your head....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Photography screws with your head....

When I first took up 4wding (and ever since still) I see "tracks" everywhere - actual tracks on far distant hillsides and wonder how I could get to them - as well as potential "tracks" as I'm driving through a simple road cutting, and look at the sloped sides, and think "I could drive up that!"

Now that I've taken a serious jump into photography, my head has been further screwed with, because now I see everything around me: I see much more than I did before, I notice more details, and even more so, I now imagine how I'd go about taking a photo of it - where I'd set up, what angle I'd use, what settings ! ! !
    It's so bad, that even just driving down the road, I'm thinking where I'd set up to take a long exposure of the taillights of the cars.
    I think it's a mental illness of some sort. Should I seek help to overcome this affliction before I actually DO start taking photos of everything I see? Is there any hope for me?
    Canon EOS 60D ..... EFS 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS - 430 EXII Speedlite - "eBay special" Remote Control Unit - Manfrotto 190XPROB w 804RC2 head.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yep, get help and sell your gear cheaply!

I do the same thing, driving around thinking how I could frame the scene out the car window. Seriously, it isn't a problem, and the more experience you get as a photographer, the more you will learn to deal with seeing the world differently to most.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no, I'm sorry... there is no cure, and no you shouldn't seek a cure.. go with the flow
    Happy to take all constructive Critique, please don't rework or edit my photos. Thanks!

Canon 6D, 2 Canon 50D's gripped, Canon 1000D, Canon 70-200 F2.8 ( non IS),Canon 70-200 2.8, Canon 24-70 2.8, Sigma 85 1.4, Canon 50mm F1.8.. yongnuo speedlights and triggers, and manfrotto tripods.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to a higher form of existence !!

One (old) definition of a photographer: you get the latest lingerie catalogue in the post and you browse through it... thinking... 'Ah! I know how they did the lighting in that shot!'
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL! you are the opposite of me.

I took up 4WDing, and then started noticing everything.. every nook cranny and wayside, and just got more and more and more detailed maps . so that I didn't miss out on anything as I aimlessly drove around the country.

Photography subsequently came about, because 9 times out of 9.. i used to think to myself, damned! I would have loved a picture of this weird looking thing, or of that place.

And Kirsty is right.
    There is no cure, because there is nothing wrong with you.
    You need to find a cure for the other folks that you know that don't think/see/do the same way as you!

The other question is, have you discovered OziExplorer and the GDT map set yet?
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am reminded of the following famous quotation:

A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.
    -- Dorothea Lange

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no cure, however, retail therapy may ease the pain ( more likely transfer it to your wallet ).
    5D MkII Gripped | EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro | Extender 2x II | 580EX II & 430EX II Speedlites
    Wanted: The list is long.......so very long........(sighs)
    Oldies but still goodies: AE-1+Program | FD 28mm f/2.8 | FD 50mm f/1.4 | FD 70-210 f/4

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bushbikie View Post
    There is no cure, however, retail therapy may ease the pain ( more likely transfer it to your wallet ).
    This is also true... but can lead to another condition, commonly known as " nicelenslustitis" .. good luck trying to cure that one!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no cure .

Don't waste your time seeking help , there isn't any.

"Use the force Ezookiel."

I am similarly afflicted only for me the camera caused me to buy the Jeep so I could get to those places to get those shots.

Relax. Breathe deeply and focus on the shot!
    Peter.

Some of my photo's are at www.peterking.id.au

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't listen to the others, I think you should give up photography right away and give you gear to me...
    CC always welcome and appreciated.
    Tweaks welcome but please add how and why.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am less concerned about how photography screws with my head, and more concerned how it screws with my wallet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely no cure for this one I do the same. But now I have dabbled and fell in love with emotive photography I find myself looking at peoples face's and saying there is a face I would just love to shoot. I see image's all the time even still life that I have also just started to touch on things I need and if I don't have find a way of getting them one way or another even if its just borrowed long enough for me to do my clicking. So nope no cure for it and I am glad because I don't want it cured I want it to keep happening more and more.
    All experts were once beginners

Nikon D3100 18 55 kit lens Nikon 35 mm Nikon 70 300mm optex tripod

MWAH! Sandy

Who me?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Embrace it I say, consider yourself one of the lucky ones that get to see and appreciate your surroundings in a way the unwashed masses ( wink ) don't.
    Just try and keep the wallet in the pocket.
    Cheers David.

Canon 40D/EF-S 17-85 mm IS/Kenko Extenson Tubes/Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II (nifty fifty)
    Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 /Sigma 70-200/ Sigma 1.4 teleconverter/ some Conkin filters | Adobe Photoshop CS6

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a huge new arboretum being planted over a massive grassed area a few miles north of where I live, and at the moment there are thousands of brand new plants that have been put in. To protect them from animals eating them, they all have bright red plastic guards around them, so for as far as the eye can see, over hill and dale, and then all the way up to the top of the biggest hill nearby, are row upon row of these bright red (and some areas with really pale pink) vertical plastic tubes that light up when the sun shines through them. I can't help but drive past and try to work out where and what time of day I'm going out there with my camera. I know that there just HAS to be a photo there somewhere. The problem is, the road past it is 100km/h zone, and everyone else is looking at the road and the traffic, and I'm there doing 100km/h and trying to keep one eye on the road, and the other on the best vantage points for a photography trip out there. Photography doesn't just screw with my head, it's going to get me killed ! LOL
    Last edited by Ezookiel; 25-10-2011 at 9:10am.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezookiel View Post
    ......... Photography doesn't just screw with my head, it's going to get me killed ! LOL
    Well CAP got in first, so I hope your will says he gets all your photography gear.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, my wife sure won't want it.
    Alas, my daughter will. She can take a better picture with a phone camera than I can with much better gear, so I'm guessing she'll take it and show my ghost what could have been done with her great eye for composition, and massive artistic streak she has.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The foregoing says it all! (I just wanted to say that.)
    Sounds pretty nrmal to me. It doesn't matter if your pictures don't quite "make it". That's practice.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the "Madness", it just gets worse
    Andrew
    D700, D5000, Various Nikon and Sigma Lenses and lots of other expensive thingys with buttons and knobs (some even go Bing !!)
    www.andrewplacephotography.com.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I have the exact same problem, and agree with the desire for the tracks and the want and guess for the better image. I like expensive hobbies. I was into comp 4wding, I now even manager a particular brand of 4wd store and have spent "HEAPS" on the hobby (and still do) But if it was not for 4wding I don't think I would have got involved in photography so much. The desire to capture the 4wd events, led to my spending on photography. My wife hates both these topics
    Hayden

Canon Collector
    My Flickr