User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Choosing an everyday Lens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you hire/borrow a couple of the choices your thinking of? That may help you make your mind up.

I've taken the expensive leap into L lenses not long ago and as everyone has said above the difference, the weight I have noticed. I like the heavier sturdy build. I went the 24-70L 2.8 over the 24-105L IS. This replaced my 18-55 (kit Lens) & the 28-135mm USM lens (Paid about $600) while it is a great lens, the minute I had the L, I could feel and see the difference (even in the LCD screen on the 60D). All i can suggest is go try them, put them on the camera and get a feel for the size and weight.
    Last edited by hdn177; 20-10-2011 at 7:18am.
    Hayden

Canon Collector
    My Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You paid $600 for your 24-70L? Great deal!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's either one cheap 24-70 or an expensive 28-135, most probably aus stock
    Jayde

Honest CC whether good or bad, is much appreciated.
    Love and enjoy photography, but won't be giving up my day job.

Flickr

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are giving confusing signals to us Cyza.

Firstly, forget about 'L'. If you are going to make its existence or absence a factor then you are buying on emotion and our advice is wasted. Why even ask if your view is bLinkered / bLinded?

Secondly, on what possible basis can you start the thread showing interest in the 17-40 f4L and 24-105 f4, then reject suggestions for the 17-55 f2.8?? It is basically better in every way than the 17-40.

So that's my tip. The 17-55 or the 15-85. For the balance of uses you mention in post #1, I would pick the 15-85. And a hotshoe flash for the social occasions.

cheers

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyza View Post
    . . . I already have quite a few things on the wish list [ = wants value for money and has other purchase in mind] . . . I want to make an upgrade from the 18-55 kit lens. it would be used for Food Photography alot, as well as holidays, (family travels a fair bit, Vietnam in mid July next year) and also for social occasions such as birthdays at homes and restaurants. I will be using it on the Canon 60D. . .But is it there much point for me to be looking at the L lenses when my Body isn't weather sealed and there are lenses such as the 15-85 F3.5-5.6 IS USM lenses available
    The 15-85 offers a wider zoom range, slightly faster, has the addition of IS and is a little bit cheaper. However it obviously isn't an L lens, I guess what my question is ultimately leading to is what other advantages do the L lenses posses? Is there a noticeable difference in IQ, or focusing speed etc . . . i"m assuming your talking about the EF-S 17-55MM f2.8 IS USM Lens if so, I don't think Im interested in it. the 2.8 aperture is the only real advantage about it - and I have to 50mm F:1.8
    Then considering your priorities, the L lenses mentioned will not suffice: buy the 15 to 85 for travelling and family stuff and buy the set of three Kenko Extension tubes to use with your 50/1.8 and also the new zoom for C/U food portions – you’ll have to arrange the food carefully and light it to get to about F/16. Don’t pay attention to the Diffraction Police – you’ll be OK at F/16.

If you have enough $, then a better solution is the (first version) TS-E 24 – buy it second hand for your food stuff.

WW

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12