User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: possible New Canon - 1DX ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah good ole ausphotography , go canon go! I like all the whiz bang features on the 1dx I just hope a lot of it trickles down to the 5D3 where my budget sits at.
    "Knowledge is a single point, but the ignorant have multiplied it."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Powerful enough.... pretty strong words there. I'd rather put it more along the lines of have some influence certain changes. Canon does take opinions from the pro and ponder over it, but not necessarily execute it. But i do agree a lot of improvements have come from suggestions from the pros as they are the ones who use the gear everyday and some ideas really are pretty good. EG: Implementation of a dedicated AF-on button, customisation of buttons etc. Canon at the end of the day still considers the general consumer population and decides what's best for them. There has been one feature on nikon that i've been always wanting canon to implement. The ability to set the upper and lower boundaries of ISO. I wonder if it's patented by nikon?

Canon at the end of the day still considers the general consumer population and decides what's best for them

Yeahhh Im gonna have to disagree with you there, especially with that last comment.

We are talking about the top of the range pro body here, be it from Canon or Nikon it still targets the same user group - that is full time professionals, MADE FOR professionals. Amateurs and hobbyists buy them because they are spurred on by the results achieved by the aforesaid professionals in their ability to get the most out of the camera. This is not an entry level body where the general consumer has zero say in how to lay out things or have a degree of user input in the R&D stage - whereas with high end models - professionals utilized by the companies play a big part in shaping the end product.

Canon or Nikon or other major groups make the majority of their profit in the entry level bodies such as the 600D and 1100D and stuff - thats where the money is because they can sell millions of those units in comparison to only tens of thousands of 1D bodies - theres not much profit in that. HOWEVER - Im not sure if you realize but all their high end cameras are constantly being road tested by regarded professionals in particular fields from prototypes to pre-release models in order to gain feedback and make improvements before it hits the shelves - this is well acknowledged by them in the past.

The sales and development of pro bodies are highly influenced by the results achieved by pros themselves. Imagine if Canon allowed weekend warriors, stay at home mums, amateurs and hobbyists a few hundred of their pre-release bodies to go out and test them for feedback - imagine the thousands of photos of flowers, pets and god knows what else being released online to demonstrate how good the camera is. Would that entice me to buy it? Hell no! But images from pros being tested on the sidelines of an English Premier League game, or the African wildlife, or the wartorn streets of Libya sounds a lot more enticing for the general consumer to make them salivate for one!

Not sure if you remembered Vincent Laforet's video entitled REVERIE - shot on a pre-release Canon 5D MKII 3 years ago on youtube, he was one of the testers of the camera and gave a lot of feedback and demonstrated to the world what could be achieved with that new camera back then. Did that get the attention of millions of amateurs and hobbyists and pros? OH YES! Hell I went out and bought one not long after that.

So in a nutshell - I wrote POWERFUL because - professionals are a powerful and influential group of users which dictate the trend of the pro bodies and its evolution from the developmental stage right through to the quality of the end product - the photo file.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The professionals would surely suggest things like built in WIFI, USB 3.0, some maybe suggest built in GPS and so forth. Built in Wireless N would surely be on the list of most of the testers and suggestion for ease of wireless tethering. Is it in the camera? Nope. It's an addon. Gps? Addon as well.

Yes they do road testing and suggest how better to improve on a conceptualised beta product. Note the word conceptualised. This is a prototype... but it's 99% of the final item. Road testing mainly is to iron out all the kinks in the sytem and firmware. They will not go back to the the drawing blocks and waste $$ just because the pros said so. That's just not how engineering works. You get suggestions from the users during the design process, but not necessarily have to implement it.

But powerful enough to make canon do stuff? No. Still only a suggestion. Canon has the last say, and they know what's best for their bottom line.

Also as a beta tester, would you slam the camera? I reckon not, cause knowing the japs you wouldn't be on their beta list anymore. So the only things you'll be hearing is good stuff. Pretty much how the world works izzin't it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also as a beta tester, would you slam the camera? I reckon not, cause knowing the japs you wouldn't be on their beta list anymore. So the only things you'll be hearing is good stuff. Pretty much how the world works izzin't it?

ahhhh no, way to generalize something like that. Rob Galbraith was one of the first and probably the MOST VOCAL about the AF problem of the 1DMK3 when it first came out. He is one of the Canon poster boys for sports in Canada ala Winter Olympic Games, yet they listened to him and rectified the problems outlined by him - quite strong words used too. He's still around and uses Canon stuff and still part of Canon's pro network. Not sure if you know the Japanese corporate culture much but my short time working there they are a very attentive people and politely listen to all employees and external influences and at least attempt to correct any kinks - unlike a much more insular corporate structure in many Western societies.

Anyway, less debating/discussing from you and more photos posted to share would be great to balance things out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the prototype, there was the AF issue. It was brought up by Rob to them. In the end product, the algorithm was tweaked to try to avoid it, but the issues were still there. Powerful enough to change things? Well to a certain extent. Definitely not back to the drawing board kinda level. Algorithm tweaks is easy, redesigning from scratch is not.

Rob has a long standing history with the japs and they are pretty loyal people to a certain extent. Their culture is vastly different from the rest of the world. Rob probably knows how to work them. hahaha. It's nice to have some friendly banter once in a while. Helps to broaden the mindset and gain external perspective.

Also what's with this photo thing every one is harping about? :P

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    I'd guess that's where the 5D MKii replacement will fit in. Full frame, High mp, basic AF system & other functions.
    And lower IQ

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123