User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: possible New Canon - 1DX ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With Nikon going 36 MP and Canon going 18 MP. It seems the roles are reversed. LoL

I know what i'm gettin for my birthday next year!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    couple of details to just clarify - this is a full frame camera

plus on the focus points:

brand new 61-Point High Density Reticular AF

Oh and here's a link with more technical details - sourced from official Canon US release - http://www.canonrumors.com/
    Last edited by Longshots; 18-10-2011 at 6:57pm.
    William

www.longshots.com.au

I am the PhotoWatchDog

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just found this on another site.

Full tech data explained. Canon Europe. Some interesting reading.

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/...x_explained.do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yey! Can't wait for this to come out, it might just drop the value of the older models to a price that a mere mortal can afford!

(Admittedly the MkII isn't too expensive, so long as you don't mind the awkward navigation and relatively small sensor size)
    Ryan

D800 | Nikkor 24-70mm ƒ/2.8 | Cullmann Tripod |Manfrotto 680B Monopod | Lowepro Flipside 400 AW | 2x Yungnuo 560 flash & wireless trigger| FleaBay Lightstand, umbrella and collapsible softbox
    My Flickr site
    RSK Photography - Perth based Motorsport Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KeeFy View Post
    With Nikon going 36 MP and Canon going 18 MP. It seems the roles are reversed. LoL
    yeah that's certainly an interesting decision from canon, yeah 18mp is a lot, and i suspect the quality will be superb, but still on paper it will be hard to show this.
    Of course reviews will no doubt offer some light on the decision. I do recall some months back that canon apparently did say that they were getting better results with lower res... if you ask me that's them admitting they couldn't increase the res as planned without the quality deteriorating

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The new Canon 1d Mark X

Canon EOS-1D X

Full Frame
    18.1MP
    Dual DIGIC 5+ – 17 Times The Processing Power of DIGIC 4
    ISO 100-51200 Native
    100,000 Pixel RGB Metering Sensor
    EOS iSA (Intelligent Subject Analysis)
    61 Point AF
    21 f/5.6 Cross Type Sensors
    20 f/4 Cross Type Sensors
    5 f/2.8 Dual Cross Type Sensors
    EOS iTR AF (Intelligent Tracking & Recognition Auto Focus)
    12 Frames Per Second
    14 Frames Per Second JPG Only
    400,000 Shot Rated Shutter
    Ethernet Connection
    March Availability

TOKYO, October 18, 2011—Canon Inc. and Canon Marketing Japan Inc. today announced the introduction in Japan of the new EOS-1D X digital single-lens reflex (SLR) camera offering a high level of performance to satisfy the demands of professionals in such fields as sports photography, photojournalism and studio photography.

To date, Canon has developed its top-of-the-line digital SLR cameras through the 1Ds series, which delivers exceptionally high image quality, and the 1D series, which achieves superlative high-speed performance. Integrating the strengths of these two series, Canon’s new professional flagship model, the EOS-1D X, brings together the highest levels of image quality and speed performance.

The new Canon EOS-1D X incorporates a newly developed approximately 18.1-megapixel 35 mm full-frame CMOS sensor which, in addition to achieving an optimal sensor size and pixel count balance, effectively makes use of Canon’s proprietary semiconductor technologies to ensure low-noise performance. Featuring Dual DIGIC 5+, which comprises two new high-performance DIGIC 5+ image processors—each realizing approximately 17 times the processing power of DIGIC 4—the camera delivers exemplary image quality and speed performance, in addition to data processing power that has been greatly enhanced compared with the EOS-1D Mark IV, released in December 2009. Compared with the EOS-1D Mark IV’s sensitivity range of ISO100–12800, the EOS-1D X offers a range that has been expanded by two steps, to 100–51200,* for outstanding imaging results with reduced noise, even when shooting indoors and other dimly lit settings.

Combining a 100,000-pixel RGB metering sensor and DIGIC 4 processor, the Canon EOS-1D X’s new AE system, the EOS iSA (Intelligent Subject Analysis) System, is capable of determining not only brightness levels, but also a subject’s face and target color, making possible high-precision exposure control. The newly developed AF system incorporates an AF sensor with a total of 61 autofocus points for improved high-precision subject capture. The sensor includes 21 f/5.6 cross-type sensors, 20 f/4.0 cross-type sensors, and 5 f/2.8 dual cross-type sensors. Equipped with 20 f/4.0 AF points, the new camera offers the same level of precision as the EOS-1D Mark IV at f/2.8. Additionally, working in tandem with the new AE system, the camera’s EOS iTR AF (Intelligent Tracking and Recognition Auto Focus) function is capable of tracking a subject’s face or target color to maintain focus on a moving subject.

The Canon EOS-1D X’s new Dual DIGIC 5+ image processors make possible high-speed continuous shooting of up to approximately 12 frames per second with high-precision AE and AF performance. In the ultra-fast continuous shooting mode, the camera realizes a continuous shooting speed of up to approximately 14 frames per second (mirror remains raised during shooting, JPEG images only).

The Canon EOS-1D X delivers high reliability even in harsh shooting conditions. The rugged shutter unit boasts a lifespan of over 400,000 cycles while the camera’s exterior covers and operation panels employ a dust- and moisture-resistant design. Furthermore, the camera features a new dust-removing system incorporating two vibrating elements, a first for the EOS series, improving on the earlier cleaning system.

The new EOS-1D X comes equipped with a Gigabit-Ethernet connection that, when shooting in locations equipped with a wired LAN connection such as large sporting arenas, enables data to be transferred to editing desks quickly and reliably. Inheriting the same basic operating design as previous models, which focused on offering instantaneous operation, such aspects of the new camera as its button and control layout and GUI were reviewed and redesigned, with great attention given to operability when held vertically, during blind-touch operation, and when confirming images.

Featuring advanced video-capture capabilities, the Canon EOS-1D X’s upgraded imaging system and Dual DIGIC 5+ deliver greatly enhanced movie quality. In particular, the camera minimizes the occurrence of color artifacts and moiré, and enables the shooting of low-noise video even in dark conditions.

The Canon EOS-1D X will be available in Japan from late March 2012 at an open price. Canon has set initial production at 7,000 units per month.

Images - Movie and stills at iso 25600 and 51200 look incredible.
    http://cweb.canon.jp/camera/eosd/1dx/samples/index.html

it will be almost as good as nikon now
    A Birth Certificate shows that we were born.
    A Death Certificate shows that we died.
    Pictures show that we lived!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/knumbnutz/
    http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/neilmorgan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    look at thread below
    1DIII, 5DII, 15mm fish, 24mm ts-e, 35L,135L,200L,400L,mpe-65mm
    Film: eos 300, pentax 6x7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by KeeFy; 19-10-2011 at 1:49am.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like it'll be about $7000 camera ......damn - wonder if the weather sealing is as 'rugged' as they say -
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Check this 1DX Flagship"

Released by Canon yesterday, Pretty good specs : http://www.canon.com.au/en-AU/About-...al-DSLR-camera Just drooling - Bill
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big Lotto draw this weekend Bill

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if we won lotto - I would still have to justify the cost to my wife - I imagine it will be around 10 big flat ones
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of threads merged !

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post

hence I am hoping it would have the Thunderbolt or at the very least, the latest Firewire connection for transfer speed.
    pretty unlikely just to serve the two or three iUsers out there in LaLa land...

USB is the tipped next up connection standard in cameras.

Gigabit ethernet makes sense too .. and about bloody time too!
    There is always scope to untether a wireless connection type with some Ubeaut device that converts a wired connection into a wireless one, but if they'd used a wireless connection, at the current level of technology, not only would that make it a difficult, if not impossible option to trun a wireless conncetion into a wired one, but the inherently slow speed of the wireless chip would negate any advantage.

Yeahhhh!..... gigabit eth is perfect

And hopefully the connection will be two way, in that the camera can also be controlled remotely, and not a simple dummy device that can only send it's data to a host machine.

Nikon will be sure to follow too up on that!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pretty unlikely just to serve the two or three iUsers out there in LaLa land...
    serve just 2 or 3 iUsers out there only? Are u serious? You need to be exposed to more higher end studio work Arthur to see why I always clamour for fast connections on high end models, so the gigabit on this new model would be a godsend not only for studio and fashion shooters, but for the sports dudes shooting synced to their laptops at the sports events.

But try maybe thousands of fashion houses, publications, commercial shoots happening around the world every month that uses solely iMacs, Mac Pros and MBPs for tethering and on the spot editing using firewire? Why do u think many professionals like me included, were appalled when Pentax did not include any faster connection than USB2.0 on the 645D? Theres a reason a lot of us use Hassy or Leaf and need firewire and other connections. Cant remember the last time a PC was used or seen, let alone offered for rent from camera hire groups.

the ratio of professionals needing firewire OR any fast connection may be small compared to amateurs like you who do not seem to think it is necessary, but the amount spent by pros and companies on buying and needing such equipment is enough for anyone to stand up and take notice.
    Last edited by JM Tran; 20-10-2011 at 12:17am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon USB 3.0 will be next and not Thuderbolt as it will be easier not to complicate stuff.

Thunderbolt shares bandwidth with other peripherials such as displays and other possible pci-e stuff all from 1 port. Which means the user will need to carry around a hub of sorts just to connect all the stuff. Computers are known to have multiple usb ports. Heck apple themselves throws in 2 usb ports just for usability sake on their mpbs reducing the need for a hub. Yes thunderbolt is picking up interest, but take any normal user and you'll be guranteed he has at least 1 usb 2.0 port on his computer, but you can't say the same for thunderbolt. Why would canon discourage people from buying a camera just because a small community of people wants it? Imagine "Oh i like this camera, but i don't have a thunderbolt port. How do i sync my stuff? Maybe i should look at nikon instead" Canon was smart enough to phase out firewire as with most other video and photographics manufacturers bar a few. You have to remember that although 1D X is a pro camera, but there are people who are not pro photographers who do buy them as well. I know 4 people who have 1Ds and d3x who are just hobbyists and the pro camera was their first dslr. They don't buy brannds like hassys, leaf and phase etc. They buy brands and top of the line that people on the street recognise, it is after all just to flaunt their wealth as well. These are the people who drop an easy 20+ 30 grand their first purchase.

Canon afterall wants to make the most $$ they can. They know existing photographers will not complain if it does not come with thunderbolt. Disappointed maybe, but not to the point of dropping the brand. On the other hand there are more new customers to lose. Last point is, hobbyists spend much more on camera lenses and bodies than pros do. It's a fact of life. Most "pro" photographers don't earn nearly as much disposable income to warranty a whole plethora of lenses. They buy a few lenses that suits their genre and stick with it. Hobbyists on the other hand have disposable incomes more often than not. They are the real ones that bring in the $$ for Canon. As Paul Henri Cahier once said at a f1 talk that i attended, he does not buy lenses and is lucky that canon lets him use whatever he wants because he's sponsored. Why? So that monkey see monkey do. He uses Canon so canon must be good, hobbyists go out and buy a kit. The next day i went to a camera shop to pick buy something, this dude was dropping a lot of $$ for his first dslr as well. 1D mk3 + 300mm f2.8 and a 24-70 f2.8 for the f1 that weekend. I wouldn't be surprised if he attended the talk as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canon afterall wants to make the most $$ they can. They know existing photographers will not complain if it does not come with thunderbolt. Disappointed maybe, but not to the point of dropping the brand. On the other hand there are more new customers to lose. Last point is, hobbyists spend much more on camera lenses and bodies than pros do. It's a fact of life. Most "pro" photographers don't earn nearly as much disposable income to warranty a whole plethora of lenses. They buy a few lenses that suits their genre and stick with it. Hobbyists on the other hand have disposable incomes more often than not. They are the real ones that bring in the $$ for Canon. As Paul Henri Cahier once said at a f1 talk that i attended, he does not buy lenses and is lucky that canon lets him use whatever he wants because he's sponsored. Why? So that monkey see monkey do. He uses Canon so canon must be good, hobbyists go out and buy a kit. The next day i went to a camera shop to pick buy something, this dude was dropping a lot of $$ for his first dslr as well. 1D mk3 + 300mm f2.8 and a 24-70 f2.8 for the f1 that weekend. I wouldn't be surprised if he attended the talk as well.
    Of course Keefy, very true and pretty much the jist of what I was trying to say - that professionals form only a small minority in the whole market segment. BUT, powerful enough to warrant and push for changes when need be, and have done so in the past leading to advancements and improvements.

Take the Pentax 645D for example, amazing digital MF and I personally believe from personal experience using it for work that it trumps Hassy and Leaf and Phase One for everything, but one thing - only USB2.0 - yeah sure most of you might think thats ok as you wont be needing it for anything else. But Pentax just missed out on a niche but very, very influential and expensive market - I can say right now that a lot of leading studio houses and photographers really want to use the 645D more but they just cant - because upload rate of USB2.0 with file sizes of 60-90MB each shot is a pain in the butt for tethering.

You are also right about not owning a lot of gear as a pro, I said this earlier tonight to a bunch of amateur photographers before - that being a pro is not about owning but USING. I dont own much, neither does Anie Liebovitz or Mario Testino etc, but we do hire the best gear for the best job if and when we can. Only amateurs think a single particular system can do everything well

Not sure if you or Arthur interpreted what I wrote wrong. I am simply asking for the last 12-18 months faster connections on some cameras, do I need someone to bring back firewire on some bodies except what is already on the digital MF bodies already? Not really, just gimme something new if you can - and now they have! I'll gladly take gigabit ethernet connection if it means faster than what I and others are currently using!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Powerful enough.... pretty strong words there. I'd rather put it more along the lines of have some influence certain changes. Canon does take opinions from the pro and ponder over it, but not necessarily execute it. But i do agree a lot of improvements have come from suggestions from the pros as they are the ones who use the gear everyday and some ideas really are pretty good. EG: Implementation of a dedicated AF-on button, customisation of buttons etc. Canon at the end of the day still considers the general consumer population and decides what's best for them. There has been one feature on nikon that i've been always wanting canon to implement. The ability to set the upper and lower boundaries of ISO. I wonder if it's patented by nikon?

A friend of mine from WA was raving on how good his 645D was and was supposed to meet up to try out his new toy but got posted to China for 1/2 a year and then moved straight to Sydney. Oh wells.. His only gripe also was the usb 2.0. I understand that tethering is important to live product/fashion/studio work but that's the thing. 645D was not entirely aimed at the professionals market. Hassys,leaf and phase are. 645D is considered a entry level digital MF. If pentax did incorporate it, it'd be easy to imagine that life will be very different for them right now. LoL.

I'd definitely welcome usb 3.0 on the next camera, but it seems even the 1D x is still using usb 2.0. Disappointed to say the least. :/

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course my jibe about the 2 or 3 iUsers was made tongue in cheek, and of course at this level of camera body, there's a much higher percentage of iUsers out there compared to the average consumer market with respect to computing usage, where the typical consumer market is something in the order of 95% PC, to 5% Mac, but in the professional arena, it'd be probably a higher percentage of mac users to PC.

So on a top end camera body, Thunderbolt may make sense, as there will be a higher proportion of users getting some advantage.
    But they still need a PC connection with speed, and that would mean that they also need a USB port, on top of the Thunderbolt port.

This then makes no commercial sense, as you have two similar ports trying to achieve the same objective.
    Added cost to the body for no real gain. This is why gigabit ethernet makes sense. This way they still have backward compatibility via the USB port already there, but for the sake of future proofing themselves, the gigabit ethernet connects to either Mac or PC.

I seriously doubt that you will see gigabit speeds, as the chip they use on the camera will almost certainly be from a low end manufacturer, that will probably struggle to achieve 100Mb/s!
    Canon don't make ethernet chips, they buy them in, and price will be a huge factor.

This is why I doubt they'll ever use a Thunderbolt port, whereas with a USB3 port, which it backward compatible with USB2 is more of a certainty in the future.

There won't be too many PC's out there, with Thunderbolt ports, and just a quick breeze through a top end manufacturer's motherboard range, there is only one motherboard in their list with a thundebolt connection, and that connection is via a separate add in card, and not directly on the board itself.

This seems to be as an appeasement to those specific users that may want it, but in a non committal manner by the motherboard manufacturer at the moment, as they don't want to end up with a pretty much useless IO port that no one is ever going to use.
    This is a hark back to the days of firewire, and for all of it's alleged advantages, most motherboards had firewire via a riser board, and not really as a dedicated IO port on the board itself.

I chased hard a long for a motherboard way back when.. when I built a PC for my video editing days, as my DV camera had a firewire connection.
    Better than USB1.0 back then(10 or so years back) .. but ultimately a futile endeavour.
    I still have the firewire card, sitting in my drawer, and my new motherboard has an internal connector for firewire, but I doubt I'll ever use it again.

For these reasons I say that I doubt that we'll ever see a Thunderbolt port on a camera, and unless it becomes a widely accepted connection interface, with external storage, or printers or whatever else, even network connectivity, the manufacturer's won't make the investment either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    Of course my jibe about the 2 or 3 iUsers was made tongue in cheek, and of course at this level of camera body, there's a much higher percentage of iUsers out there compared to the average consumer market with respect to computing usage, where the typical consumer market is something in the order of 95% PC, to 5% Mac, but in the professional arena, it'd be probably a higher percentage of mac users to PC.

So on a top end camera body, Thunderbolt may make sense, as there will be a higher proportion of users getting some advantage.
    But they still need a PC connection with speed, and that would mean that they also need a USB port, on top of the Thunderbolt port.

This then makes no commercial sense, as you have two similar ports trying to achieve the same objective.
    Added cost to the body for no real gain. This is why gigabit ethernet makes sense. This way they still have backward compatibility via the USB port already there, but for the sake of future proofing themselves, the gigabit ethernet connects to either Mac or PC.

I seriously doubt that you will see gigabit speeds, as the chip they use on the camera will almost certainly be from a low end manufacturer, that will probably struggle to achieve 100Mb/s!
    Canon don't make ethernet chips, they buy them in, and price will be a huge factor.

This is why I doubt they'll ever use a Thunderbolt port, whereas with a USB3 port, which it backward compatible with USB2 is more of a certainty in the future.

There won't be too many PC's out there, with Thunderbolt ports, and just a quick breeze through a top end manufacturer's motherboard range, there is only one motherboard in their list with a thundebolt connection, and that connection is via a separate add in card, and not directly on the board itself.

This seems to be as an appeasement to those specific users that may want it, but in a non committal manner by the motherboard manufacturer at the moment, as they don't want to end up with a pretty much useless IO port that no one is ever going to use.
    This is a hark back to the days of firewire, and for all of it's alleged advantages, most motherboards had firewire via a riser board, and not really as a dedicated IO port on the board itself.

I chased hard a long for a motherboard way back when.. when I built a PC for my video editing days, as my DV camera had a firewire connection.
    Better than USB1.0 back then(10 or so years back) .. but ultimately a futile endeavour.
    I still have the firewire card, sitting in my drawer, and my new motherboard has an internal connector for firewire, but I doubt I'll ever use it again.

For these reasons I say that I doubt that we'll ever see a Thunderbolt port on a camera, and unless it becomes a widely accepted connection interface, with external storage, or printers or whatever else, even network connectivity, the manufacturer's won't make the investment either.

I agree with you. But hey at the end of the day I cant complain about gigabit as Im pretty happy with its inclusion, I dont think ANYONE saw that one coming! Here and there we were all hoping for firewire, thunderbolt or even USB3.0 so the inclusion of gigabit connection was surprising at the least, but much welcomed by me - well anything faster than USB2.0 I would welcome!

You should mention Wayne on here for selling his old (quite new) MBP and buying the latest one with Thunderbolt connection to utilize its capability.......6 months on......I only see one or 2 drives on the Apple website that makes use of it, let alone many other products

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast