Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: possible New Canon - 1DX ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

possible New Canon - 1DX ?

While a regular follower of tasty tips, this one seems to be reasonably accurate. Especially as it has a reference from Canons own website.

Canon EOS 1D X Press Release

TOKYO, October 18, 2011—Canon Inc. and Canon Marketing Japan Inc. today announced the introduction in Japan of the new EOS-1D X digital single-lens reflex (SLR) camera offering a high level of performance to satisfy the demands of professionals in such fields as sports photography, photojournalism and studio photography.

To date, Canon has developed its top-of-the-line digital SLR cameras through the 1Ds series, which delivers exceptionally high image quality, and the 1D series, which achieves superlative high-speed performance. Integrating the strengths of these two series, Canon’s new professional flagship model, the EOS-1D X, brings together the highest levels of image quality and speed performance.

The new Canon EOS-1D X incorporates a newly developed approximately 18.1-megapixel 35 mm full-frame CMOS sensor which, in addition to achieving an optimal sensor size and pixel count balance, effectively makes use of Canon’s proprietary semiconductor technologies to ensure low-noise performance. Featuring Dual DIGIC 5+, which comprises two new high-performance DIGIC 5+ image processors—each realizing approximately 17 times the processing power of DIGIC 4—the camera delivers exemplary image quality and speed performance, in addition to data processing power that has been greatly enhanced compared with the EOS-1D Mark IV, released in December 2009. Compared with the EOS-1D Mark IV’s sensitivity range of ISO100–12800, the EOS-1D X offers a range that has been expanded by two steps, to 100–51200,* for outstanding imaging results with reduced noise, even when shooting indoors and other dimly lit settings.

Combining a 100,000-pixel RGB metering sensor and DIGIC 4 processor, the Canon EOS-1D X’s new AE system, the EOS iSA (Intelligent Subject Analysis) System, is capable of determining not only brightness levels, but also a subject’s face and target color, making possible high-precision exposure control. The newly developed AF system incorporates an AF sensor with a total of 61 autofocus points for improved high-precision subject capture. The sensor includes 21 f/5.6 cross-type sensors, 20 f/4.0 cross-type sensors, and 5 f/2.8 dual cross-type sensors. Equipped with 20 f/4.0 AF points, the new camera offers the same level of precision as the EOS-1D Mark IV at f/2.8. Additionally, working in tandem with the new AE system, the camera’s EOS iTR AF (Intelligent Tracking and Recognition Auto Focus) function is capable of tracking a subject’s face or target color to maintain focus on a moving subject.

The Canon EOS-1D X’s new Dual DIGIC 5+ image processors make possible high-speed continuous shooting of up to approximately 12 frames per second with high-precision AE and AF performance. In the ultra-fast continuous shooting mode, the camera realizes a continuous shooting speed of up to approximately 14 frames per second (mirror remains raised during shooting, JPEG images only).

The Canon EOS-1D X delivers high reliability even in harsh shooting conditions. The rugged shutter unit boasts a lifespan of over 400,000 cycles while the camera’s exterior covers and operation panels employ a dust- and moisture-resistant design. Furthermore, the camera features a new dust-removing system incorporating two vibrating elements, a first for the EOS series, improving on the earlier cleaning system.

The new EOS-1D X comes equipped with a Gigabit-Ethernet connection that, when shooting in locations equipped with a wired LAN connection such as large sporting arenas, enables data to be transferred to editing desks quickly and reliably. Inheriting the same basic operating design as previous models, which focused on offering instantaneous operation, such aspects of the new camera as its button and control layout and GUI were reviewed and redesigned, with great attention given to operability when held vertically, during blind-touch operation, and when confirming images.

Featuring advanced video-capture capabilities, the Canon EOS-1D X’s upgraded imaging system and Dual DIGIC 5+ deliver greatly enhanced movie quality. In particular, the camera minimizes the occurrence of color artifacts and moiré, and enables the shooting of low-noise video even in dark conditions.

The Canon EOS-1D X will be available in Japan from late March 2012 at an open price. Canon has set initial production at 7,000 units per month.

Canon EOS-1D X

Full Frame
    18.1MP
    Dual DIGIC 5+ – 17 Times The Processing Power of DIGIC 4
    ISO 100-51200 Native
    100,000 Pixel RGB Metering Sensor
    EOS iSA (Intelligent Subject Analysis)
    61 Point AF
    21 f/5.6 Cross Type Sensors
    20 f/4 Cross Type Sensors
    5 f/2.8 Dual Cross Type Sensors
    EOS iTR AF (Intelligent Tracking & Recognition Auto Focus)
    12 Frames Per Second
    14 Frames Per Second JPG Only
    400,000 Shot Rated Shutter
    Ethernet Connection
    March Availability

From Canon's own site

http://www.canon.com/news/2011/oct18e.h ... id=C126149 external link

:
    "Currently, the company offers a broad product lineup that serves the needs of all levels of users, from entry-level enthusiasts to advanced amateurs and professionals. This lineup has further expanded with the addition of the new high-performance EOS-1D X, Canon's new flagship digital SLR camera, scheduled to go on sale in late March 2012."
    William

www.longshots.com.au

I am the PhotoWatchDog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It makes sense really, with the Olympics coming up next year and Euro 2012 right before it - 2 months of hardcore, intensive sports shooting right there.

I have been waiting on the new D4, or the new 1D as Im phasing one of my 5D2's out, so will see how the reviews go

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow.. Looks like the old enemies are set to go head to head.
    I wonder how the AF points are spread on the new Canon.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yawn

Lol

(looks nice tho - Ethernet would be cool)
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what I have always wanted!! previously the 1ds I did not jump on becuase the slower fps (althought I did want one in combo with my 1d). The specs have got me literally drooling

Now, price......... good lord.Might be able to afford a second hand one in a years time after selling both my bodies and start saving now
    1DIII, 5DII, 15mm fish, 24mm ts-e, 35L,135L,200L,400L,mpe-65mm
    Film: eos 300, pentax 6x7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kinda don't get the ethernet. Why not go wireless??
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus79 View Post
    I kinda don't get the ethernet. Why not go wireless??
    slow upload rate, how long would you wait for say - a 14 shot RAW burst at 25mb each - equalling 350mb to send wirelessly? Thats an awfully long wait.

hence I am hoping it would have the Thunderbolt or at the very least, the latest Firewire connection for transfer speed.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if this is the end of having a seperate 1D & 1Ds series ?

The release seems to be comparing it to the 1D MKiv which is a 1.3 crop, yet this seems to be full frame.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    I wonder if this is the end of having a seperate 1D & 1Ds series ?

The release seems to be comparing it to the 1D MKiv which is a 1.3 crop, yet this seems to be full frame.

The Canon rep in Adelaide told us that Canon is merging the lines together and no more S models apparently, but he could just be pulling our legs

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1D lines could well merge, hence the new name 1D x.
    So it seems 5D3 will be the one continuing the MP march in a lesser body than the 1-series.
    Interesting that rumors have the D4 at around 18Mp and D800 at 32Mp so perhaps both companies r now adopting similar strategies.

Just saw the AF layout. Similarly grouped in the centre. Is this a limitation of the sub-mirror PD AF configuration?

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds about right JM, I think there will be a bit of housekeeping of models & naming across the range. It's been happening a bit already with the 7D thrown in the middle as a 'new' product rahter than an an update of an existing model, and the xxD line shifted sideways and downspecced a bit after the 50D and into the 60D.

Then you throw in the high take up from the video guys..and features or specific models more suited to them...and things start changing.
    Last edited by Art Vandelay; 18-10-2011 at 5:26pm.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just found more info here, as suspected, it also mentions replacing both the 1Ds & 1D

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/about_cano...1e024803b812e#

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post
    The Canon rep in Adelaide told us that Canon is merging the lines together and no more S models apparently, but he could just be pulling our legs
    hes not - it says something about them being merged in the release

Price is thought to be $7,000 US

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    btw also up to 14fps (albeit JPEG only ), 12fps otherwise with face tracking - hmm sounds nice

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DPReview also has info & pictures

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1110/11...anoneos1dx.asp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canon Australia web site has this.
    http://www.canon.com.au/en-AU/About-...al-DSLR-camera

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont see the point of the 1d series now that you can have high fps in a FF, but I am still doubtful canon will not produce someting with high MP also. Maybe a variation of the 1d x, or a new 1ds or medium format (?)
    Who knows, everyone thought the 60D would never come in a million years

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Longshots View Post
    hes not - it says something about them being merged in the release

Price is thought to be $7,000 US
    mind you he said that to us about 3-4 months ago, so back then without news like today, we were skeptical

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fabian628 View Post
    I dont see the point of the 1d series now that you can have high fps in a FF, but I am still doubtful canon will not produce someting with high MP also. Maybe a variation of the 1d x, or a new 1ds or medium format (?)
    Who knows, everyone thought the 60D would never come in a million years
    I'd guess that's where the 5D MKii replacement will fit in. Full frame, High mp, basic AF system & other functions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not educated in this area, but I'm guessing there must be some limitations preventing them from placing AF sensors further towards the edge? ( field curvature of lens etc??)
    This is one of my gripes with the Nikon AF module - looks like we'll still have to resort to focus/ recompose when our intended point lies outside the centre of frame. Just musings- maybe someone more knowledgable can share some light on this.
    Nikon D750
    Olympus m/43
    Rolleicord IV

My SmugMug

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast