Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: New Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 - Crazing noticeable

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 - Crazing noticeable

Just chasing some info in view of my new Sigma 10-20. I find this an excellent lens but have noticed, mostly at around 14-20mm I can see what looks like a type of crazing in the through view finder. Actually I am pretty sure I have seen a similar thing on my 70-200 L but not as noticeable as the siggy.. It can been seen in the image if you push out to 100% and wind the sharpness, contrast, saturation etc right up but apart from that I would not think you would see it in a normally processed image.

My Question / concern is, is this some type of element coating appled to reduce flare or such or (this is my concern) do I have a bad copy where a element coating has not be applied properly or is deteriating due to a fault in production.

The lens is basically brand new and I have only had the lens about 3weeks with probably a weeks of part days use to dates.

Anyone else noticed this with their lens and is it normal.

@Bill, mate I would think you would have noticed it in your Sigma if this is normal across the product.

I have attached a pretty tight crop - it looks a little like noise in this shot but is not and if you look close you can see it is a pattern like crazing.

Last edited by mikew09; 15-10-2011 at 2:25pm.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep I sometimes get the same if I over process, Usually trying to extract to much detail out of the Shadows , Or in this case over use of the Filters , Trying to lighten the sky to much, Well thats what I put it down to , But I can and do get the same in some images , I'm real sure it's not the Lens tho - Bill ,Dont look so hard Mike
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Yep I sometimes get the same if I over process, Usually trying to extract to much detail out of the Shadows , Or in this case over use of the Filters , Trying to lighten the sky to much, Well thats what I put it down to , But I can and do get the same in some images , I'm real sure it's not the Lens tho - Bill ,Dont look so hard Mike
    Sigh, :-), I can be a pixel peeper some times, I need to get over that. Do you see it in the view finder Bill, I see it through the view finder and it quite noticeable at 10-20mm. I do not see it in a normally exposed image but I just want to make sure it is not a problem with the lens like a failing of an element lens coating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I dont see it in trhe viewfinder, But is this what your talking about
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just had a closer look , I still think it's from pushing the processing to hard
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, pretty much Bill. I am pretty sure I see a similar ting in the view finder with my 70-200. Can't, say I noticed it on the 400D so maybe the 50D has a finer / clearer viewfinder. If I have the lens at 20mm I can see those little squiggles over the entire view, not that obvious but they are there. I love this lens and if there is an issue I want to ensure I get it sorted quick smart but buy the looks of it this may be a noraml thing.

My assumption is it is some kind coating on the a lens element to stop flare or the like.

Do you think it is anything to worry about on account I can see them in the view finder??

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Just had a closer look , I still think it's from pushing the processing to hard
    Oh Yea, absolutely- I did it intentionally so I could show what I see in the view finder with siggy on. It is not as obvious at that that is what it looks like. Sort of like a really lite shadow of these little squiggle things. The sample is a pretty heavy crop too so it was actually a challenge to get them to display well enough to see.

Do you think it is anything to worry about with my lens??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The short answer is , Nope !! , I have'nt heard of this problem , For that matter any problem with the Siggy

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, thanks Bill I reckon your right. It is a great lens and for the price (as I am price handicapped) I am very happy with it. Thanks for putting my concern in perspective mate, I was worried I may have had an issue with the lens. Not as it would worry me to much as it is under warranty and all but I would feel like I had lost a limb if I had to do without it for a while at this point. Loving it.

Cheers Bill, appreciate your time.