User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

View Poll Results: Competition Voting, Ranked or Top n?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ranked : I like to get a score out of 10, and like the concept

48 63.16%
  • Top n : I like having to choose 4/5/6 entries only to vote for

17 22.37%
  • I don't really mind either way

10 13.16%
  • I don't vote on the AP competitions

1 1.32%

Thread: Competitions : Ranked Voting : Your decision

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Competitions : Ranked Voting : Your decision

With the current Photo of the Week #276 voting underway, and it trialling our new voting system, where each entry must be rated on a scale of 10-1 (10 being the best), it is time to start finding out what you think of the concept, and if we should adopt it as our standard voting method.

Rating Each entry - Voting (the trial)
    1. Each and every entry must be ranked from 10-1 in the preliminary voting round, resulting in every entrant getting a score out of 10 for their photo.
    2. The final voting round will remain as pick one from the finalists to vote for.

Choose Top n (our existing method) (where n is 4/5/6 entries out of all the entries)
    1. Choose n entries to give a single vote for out of all entries.
    2. The final voting round is pick one from the finalists.

So, over to the members, which voting method do you want to have as the Standard for future Ausphotography competitions?
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I realy liked being able to rank the images out of 10 instead of having to choose a set number - which can be hard sometimes. I would like to have a rank once I start entering the competitions - which will be soon. I think/hope I have mastered a few problems I was having with my K-x.
    I am also looking at doing a judges course with FCC early next year so the trial ranking competition made me think more about each image besides it just being a great image.
    Barbara

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wandapics_photography

K-x. Sigma 18-125mm 1:3.8 - 5.6 DC HSM, Sigma 28-80mm 1:3.5-5.6 Macro, Sigma 100-300mm 1:4.5-6.7 DL. Sigma EF-610 DG Super Flash,
    MZ-60. Adobe Photoshop CS2.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too like the ranked system. It is not hard to vote and it allows a more refined vote to be placed rather than having to pick just 4. I would also like to have the feedback in that format rather than just knowing that x number of people voted for my image.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely support the proposed ranking system. The only further suggestion I would make is to continue reinforcing the need for people to vote at least one image in every competition with 10 points, and rank all other images in comparison to that image. The more people that do this, the more the final average score is going to tell you about the merits (or otherwise) of your photo.

Big thanks to Kym and the other mods for again being proactive in both listening to AP members feedback, and providing new ways for members to improve their photography!

Cheers!
    Andrew.
    http://twoclownstripping.com

Nikon D7000
    Sigma 10-20mm ~ Nikon 18-55mm ~ Nikon 55-200mm ~ Manfrotto 190XProB ~ Manfrotto 488RC2
    ~ LowePro Top Load Zoom 1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the ranking system better, this way for those that dont win there is feedback so they can improve and gain some more knowledge and therefore increase their chance of winning. I have several shoots coming up next week and I shall be brave and enter.
    Andrew
    D700, D5000, Various Nikon and Sigma Lenses and lots of other expensive thingys with buttons and knobs (some even go Bing !!)
    www.andrewplacephotography.com.au

If's and But's get you nowhere rookie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reflect View Post
    I like the ranking system better, this way for those that dont win there is feedback so they can improve and gain some more knowledge and therefore increase their chance of winning. I have several shoots coming up next week and I shall be brave and enter.
    Sorry but I cant see how by seeing a score would give you more knowledge
    Wayne

Canon 7D and stuff
    Olympus OMD - EM10

https://www.flickr.com/photos/34371137@N03/

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rookie View Post
    Cause by using this GUIDE, a member can see a bit more about how they need to improve to get a higher score. They can see if they are just need to improve one or two things, or a heap of them.

No it isn't a perfect system, but it is designed to give more feedback than 'you got 3 votes' has in the past.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rookie View Post
    This new system removes a statistical distortion.

As I posted previously... (Which prompted this idea)
    In a camera club comp where there are a lot of very good images, they may get 8,9 or even 10 points from the judge.
    This happened last meeting where several photo's all scored 10, the judge had to pick the night's winner from those and did that fairly quickly.

Let's translate that to our popular vote here, say 5 out of 50.
    Only the 9's and 10's (assuming there were judged by a competent person) would get the bulk of the votes, even though the 8's are very good images.
    This gives a distorted view of the low scoring images, I would say 95% of entires on AP comps would get at least 7+ at a camera club
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also like the new voting system.

At least you get to know what % you have been voted for your photo.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FocusOn View Post
    I also like the new voting system.

At least you get to know what % you have been voted for your photo.
    You always did. Once voting was over you could see how many people voted, and how many votes you got. This has always been in place

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel the ranking system is the better one, sometimes I am hard pressed to discard an image, due to the restriction on number. Also a rating allows the tog to judge the relative quality of his/her pic compared to other entries(as perceived by other members).

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sid View Post
    ... Also a rating allows the tog to judge the relative quality of his/her pic compared to other entries(as perceived by other members).
    That is the primary reason for the change!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, I prefer the ranking system over anything else and for the same reason that Rick stated. It gives you a better idea as to how good (or bad) your photos are.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, me too I think the ranking system to be a fairer way of judging overall giving each and every entry a fair vote. Elvie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've read a lot of the comments and agree that for feedback, a system of 1 to 10 should give more information back to members (numerically of course - but unfortunately never as good as constructive written opinions from the voters). Maybe, after the competition is finalised, all competition entries could go into an evaluation screen so members (voters) could comment why they voted a certain way.

In my local Photo Club, after the judging has been done, I've suggested that we run through all the entries at a meeting to allow the non-judging members to comment and for the contributor to be available to discuss why or maybe how the image was taken or produced.

I read that someone would like to rank entries from 1 to x. This seems ok but then every entry could have been a 10 or a 1 and with only minor degrees of excellence separating the 10's. This system would not provide the feedback that a score system as is on trial would produce.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flashc View Post
    I've read a lot of the comments and agree that for feedback, a system of 1 to 10 should give more information back to members (numerically of course - but unfortunately never as good as constructive written opinions from the voters). Maybe, after the competition is finalised, all competition entries could go into an evaluation screen so members (voters) could comment why they voted a certain way.

In my local Photo Club, after the judging has been done, I've suggested that we run through all the entries at a meeting to allow the non-judging members to comment and for the contributor to be available to discuss why or maybe how the image was taken or produced.

I read that someone would like to rank entries from 1 to x. This seems ok but then every entry could have been a 10 or a 1 and with only minor degrees of excellence separating the 10's. This system would not provide the feedback that a score system as is on trial would produce.
    As we don't force critique onto members, by having all entries open for critique once a competition finishes, goes against what the site is. However,we have said many times, that members are free to post their entry at the finalisation of a competition to seek feedback on it. We have seen this done, usually with a thread title of "comp entry feedback please" or similar, and we encourage members to do this if they want more feedback than the AP Competiton System can offer. It is up to each member if they want get further feedback on their comp entries.