Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: 7d problem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

7d problem

I'm wondering if anyone has come across this problem,

1. The files seem to be corrupted, I know it's not the card, as all three do this, and it also shows the same thing on the LCD when shooting without a card.
    When looking through the view finder everything still seem ok, metering and auto focus works.

2. But when I switch live view on the screen goes black, it doesn't matter what ISO, aperture or shutter speed, it's as if the camera thinks the lens cap is still on.
    I've also tried all my lenses and the same thing happens

Luckily it's still under warranty and it'll be going to the hospital on Monday.

This is what's coming out when shooting through the view finder, live view is just black.

019 by dulvariprestige, on Flickr
    Jayde

Honest CC whether good or bad, is much appreciated.
    Love and enjoy photography, but won't be giving up my day job.

Flickr

Ausphotography Regular wideangle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your explanation doesn't sound promising that it's a quick DIY fix. If you have tried different memory cards and it's showing up on your camera when you take photos without a card then I'd say that it's a fault in the camera. Have you tried taking the battery out (not the main battery) the little one that keeps time data etc) Just a random thought, likely won't help but it's worth a shot. Have you tried somebody else's memory card? Just thinking on the off chance that all your cards could have been corrupted by interference? Thankfully it's still under warranty, I would send it in if there is no resolve.
    please ask before PP my images

"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like the electronics in there is fried. Tough luck mate. At least you still have warranty!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a lot to be found on the net, but the couple I did see had to have the camera repaired.

One positive, because I got the body through flexi-rent, they send me a loan body to use until mine comes back.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet you got that horrible sinking feeling when you saw THAT, Jayde. Glad for your sake it is still under warranty. How long have you had it?
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could try " clear all camera settings" under menu section if you haven't already.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clearing the settings and removing the full time battery was onw of the first things to try, but no luck

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a data transfer issue in the camera and they will likely replace one of the internal boards within or perhaps replace the camera. Either way you will be without if for a few weeks or more.

Fortunately it is under warranty and will be fixed.
    "Nature photography is about choosing a location, crawling through dirt, being bitten by insects and occasionally taking a great image". - Wayne Eddy.

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7D, 17-40mm f/4L,
    24-105mm f/4L
    + Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS +400mm f/5.6L + Canon 1.4xTC + Canon 100 EF f2.8 USM + 430-EX

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be happy with a new camera

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well everything has been sorted, and hopefully I should have a loan body by the weeks end, most probably a 400 or 450d I've been told, I was hoping for a MKIV, but hey, at least it's better than no camera, and I can have it for up to 60 days.

The phone call I'd like to get is, sorry but your camera is beyond repair so we're sending you a new one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is this a known problem or a one of thing.
    Wayne

Canon 7D and stuff
    Olympus OMD - EM10

https://www.flickr.com/photos/34371137@N03/

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rookie View Post
    is this a known problem or a one of thing.
    I could only find a couple of things online about this problem, so hopefully not a big concern for other 7d users.

Ok, off to a good start with the loan body turning up today, 1000d, that even come with a kit lens, so at least I can still get out shooting, plus it'll make me appreciate the 7d when I get it back, this thing is sooo small

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be interested to know the outcome here... Also any advice canon may give you regarding common trends they have found with this camera, in reference to problematic issues to the consumer!! Considering it has been around for a considerable time now, one would think they would have collected some of that data, weather they are willing to share it though is another story....

Good luck!!
    Daniel Thompson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Canon 7D & 5D Mark II : 24-70mm f2.8L : 70-200mm f2.8L IS II : 17-40mm f4L : CANON EF 100MM F2.8 MACRO L IS USM: 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM : 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS : 50mm f1.8 : 430EX II & 580EX II External Speedlites : Manfrotto 190X PROB + 804RC2 head : Lee CPL, ND and GND filter system : Lee Big Stopper : CS6 Photoshop : PS Elements 11 : PS Lightroom 5 Tightly packed into a Lowepro Pro Runner 450

Follow me on FACEBOOK http://www.facebook.com/GreenOrchardPhotography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've got good timing Daniel, just got home, and sitting on my desk was my camera.
    First up, as the camera was out of factory warranty, it was sent to Digital Camera in SA, they've had it for just over 2 weeks and camera has performed perfectly since it arrived there, they did contact me within the first week and asked what problems I was having, as like I said, it was performing perfectly for them, yesterday they called me and said that the camera is still working properly, so they're sending it back to me.
    So I'm after all that, there's still no explanation to what was going wrong, but it's working fine now, so fingers crossed.