User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Experiences fixing a 580 EX II?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Experiences fixing a 580 EX II?

Well the inevitable finally happened some camera gear has been dropped (well knocked) whilst doing some climbing photos. At least it wasn't a lens. The flash has fallen about 10m and broken the hot shoe assembly and swivel assembly, surprisingly it still fired test shots. Will post a heart breaking photo later!

So I took it to a repairer in Brisbane and they quoted $500 - 550 to fix, not including any possible internal damage. But they couldn't even do the repairs, they said it'd need to go to Canon. Unfortunately Canon want $88 to just look at it. The local guy did say Canon could possibly do it cheaper but I'm hesitant to bother posting it to Sydney. Since I may just get the same price or higher back.

Has anyone had similar (extensive) repairs to a similar flash and be willing to pass on how much it cost?

I know it's a bit grey since internal damage could really drive the price up. The other option is I can actually buy the parts online (about $150) that need replacing and do the work myself, I managed to find a service manual for the flash and between myself and dad are capable to deal with the safe disassembly of the unit and swap the parts, I just can't be sure it'd work 100% afterwards....
    Last edited by mikec; 06-10-2011 at 11:35pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Canon parts are readily available to the public, as are the parts listings and diagrams. You can get the contact details for the supplier (Canon uses a third party to handle it's spare parts) from Canon themselves. I can't find the info to pass on but I have purchased parts and repaired my own 580EXII not too long ago, although a smaller problem than yours.

If I where you I'd get the parts and have a crack. However, keep clear of the capacitor which stores energy for the flash tube as this will give you a hell of a jolt of you are unlucky enough to find it!

JJ

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JJ: Thanks for that. Yep I've talked to Canon and got that suppliers details it's Parts Overnight for anyone interested.

Yep I'm well aware of the capacitor, the repair book I found has details about how to discharge it. For those interested the book can be found here

Anyone else with any insight? I'm picking up the damaged flash from the store today so I'll have a good look at it on Monday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjphoto View Post
    However, keep clear of the capacitor which stores energy for the flash tube as this will give you a hell of a jolt of you are unlucky enough to find it!
    I wish someone had told me that when i was 12 and disassembling a disposable camera to learn the workings of a camera. Needless to say the smell of burnt flesh was part of the wakeup. Subsequently i made a little "stun" gun which didn't take too well with my fellow students and teacher + principal. LoL

mikec: It'll be awesome if you can document your repair and post it up on AP. Would help future possible repairs as well!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Little more news, I emailed Canon yesterday to try and get a preliminary quote and they got back to me with a price of $340 + shipping, this was based on the parts that I could see were physically damanged, so it's much more reasonable than the first. It could still turn out that there is internal damage though.

Also got a quote to buy parts myself from within Australia and they are pretty much double then what they are in the US.

I'm going to go ahead and at least to see if I can get the flash fully functioning to determine if there is any internal damage, so basically reconnect a few loose wires. I might even replace the hot shoe assembly myself before sending to Canon to keep the cost down a little, since this is a pretty simple repair.

Photo too....

Photo 7-10-11 2 14 48 PM.jpg
    Last edited by mikec; 07-10-2011 at 4:20pm.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be interested to hear how you go with this. I have a dead 580EXII, and I'm looking for a damaged flash to cannibalise. Meatime I'll check out the parts list. Good luck with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/...idProduct=1894

Should you want to go through the non repair route for another $100+ more.

Shipping is $40 - $15 (with discount code spring11).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had replaced the hot shoe assembly of the 580EX II because the flash was dropped (whilst still being mounted on a camera) from a table to carpeted floor and the hot-shoe was still on the camera and the rest was not. The flash was repaired just a few days ago once the part was delivered. I went to eBay and paid $75 for the replacement part.

Four screws underneath loosened and tightened and a wire plug connection later, working 580EX II!!!

Took about 5 minutes, and most of that time spent was looking for a small enough screwdriver.

Hope this helps.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does pay to have gear fully insured, particularly if you are into adventure sports or travelling.

If my any of my more expensive equipment ended up like this I would be getting a new one for a small excess fee.
    "Nature photography is about choosing a location, crawling through dirt, being bitten by insects and occasionally taking a great image". - Wayne Eddy.

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7D, 17-40mm f/4L,
    24-105mm f/4L
    + Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS +400mm f/5.6L + Canon 1.4xTC + Canon 100 EF f2.8 USM + 430-EX

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    enduro, this inncident has made me start looking at insurance.... unfortunately we learn the hard way some times, just lucky it wasn't a more expensive item.

On the plus side I've managed to get the flash working, I managed to reassemble the swivel head with no problems and reconnect all the wires, the screws that hold it together stripped a little bit but there was enough left to hold it together securely, see how it lasts, if it comes loose again I might look at putting something in with the threads to make it hold better, I couldn't tap new screws since they are funny little screws that are needed to make the swivel head work correctly.

I just need to purchase a new shoe assembly now since that is well and truly dead. But it's probably the easiest part of the flash to repair.
    Last edited by mikec; 10-10-2011 at 3:33pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be buying a cheap yongnuo flash just to use while rock climbing and save the more expensive flash for a safer activity.
    Last edited by leanneqld; 14-10-2011 at 8:30pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I can say my flash is now working 100% again, besides a few scratches you can't tell a thing has happened.

The part took a little while to arrive but it was the cheapest I saw it for. I can't be more happy with the construction of the 580EX II, to survive a fall like that is pretty amazing! Could have been pure luck though.