User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Well. You learn something new every day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well. You learn something new every day.

Trying to work out how ISO can stand for an organisation who's initials are actually IOS (International Organization for Standardization), a quick bit of Googling came up with the following.

ISO, founded in 1947, is a worldwide federation of national standards bodies from some 100 countries ..... According to ISO, "ISO" is not an abbreviation. It is a word, derived from the Greek isos, meaning "equal", which is the root for the prefix "iso-" that occurs in a host of terms, such as "isometric" .... The name ISO is used around the world to denote the organization, thus avoiding the assortment of abbreviations that would result from the translation of "International Organization for Standardization" into the different national languages of members. (http://searchdatacenter.techtarget.com/definition/ISO)

So basically, because translating "International Organisation for Standardization" into the 100 different languages, would create up to 100 different initials, they use ISO - but they use it as a WORD not as initials.

So if the Organization that defines the ISO of a film use "ISO" as a word, rather than spell it out as letters ("I.S.O.") does that also mean that when we refer to the ISO of a film, we should use it as a word = "ISO" rather than as intials = "I.S.O."? Because most of the time when I've heard people speak of it in relation to film, they spell it out as individual letters. Which is correct?
    Last edited by Ezookiel; 06-10-2011 at 6:47pm.
    Canon EOS 60D ..... EFS 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS - 430 EXII Speedlite - "eBay special" Remote Control Unit - Manfrotto 190XPROB w 804RC2 head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting.

Well if it's a word then should it not be represented in English as Iso, not ISO?
    Cheers, Peter

Canon 50D | EF-S18-200 | Sunpac Auto 383 Super | Manfrotto 190/141RC + monopod | ND8 & CPL filters | Seagull rightangle viewer | Kenko extension tubes
    Wish list: Sigma 50 1.4, EF100 2.8L, EF70-200 2.8IIL, EF2xIII and something at the ultra-wide end this year. Oh yeah, I'll need a bigger bag also!!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I would have thought pjc.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    which is why it really should be pronounced as : eye-so, not Eye-S-O
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you say it quickly enough it does become eye-so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I see "ISO" I still think of "ASA" which is how film speed used to be expressed.
    Mick.

http://www.pbase.com/guzziev

Canon 7D, Canon 15 - 85 mm, Canon EF 70 - 300mm L lens, Canon 100mm macro L lens, Canon 430EXII flash, Fancier tripod, Lowepro 190 camera bag, Canon RC6 remote shutter release, Yong Nuo flash trigger and receiver.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arh so.