It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Photojournalism Behind The Scenes, A Critique of Conflict Photography

http://laughingsquid.com/photojourna...t-photography/

A very interesting observation, the people in the scene play to the presence of the photographers and thus create the news.

How often does this happen, even in our local news?
    I've seen situation of the trash current affairs shows (ACA, TT etc.) where this seems to be the norm.

What are the ethical responsibilities of photo journalists?

Warning: Please ignore the politics of this specific situation, simply comment on the effect that the presence of a 'tog has on news.
    There is NO point in getting into a IvP debate.

regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting Kym, thanks for sharing that. Whilst we all know what you can do with a camera to improve a scene, you don't expect it to affect what you think of a news story. Watching that was more like, duh for me, rather than wow. Of course an image can convey a thousand words but what thousand words is up to the photographer and how that photographer interacts with their surroundings.
    Call me Roo......
    Nikon D300s, Nikon 35mm 1.8 DX, Nikkor 50mm 1.4 Af-S, Nikon 18-200mm VR, Nikon 70-200VRII 2.8, Sigma 105 Macro, Sigma 150-500mm f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM, Tokina 12-24mm, Sb-600, D50, Nikon 1.7 T/C, Gitzo CF Monopod

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ain't a story... Make one. We all expected something like this. but to see it ????
    I suppose they are there to take photos to make money. And they can't make money if there is no story.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Playing for the cameras to gain attention for whatever cause it may be isn't new, however the ethics behind the way the photojournalist present the images is questionable to say the least. Money and editorial pressure often prevail over photographic integrity. This just reinforces that you shouldn't always believe what you see !. Thanks for sharing this interesting video.
    Andrew
    D700, D5000, Various Nikon and Sigma Lenses and lots of other expensive thingys with buttons and knobs (some even go Bing !!)
    www.andrewplacephotography.com.au

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A wise person once warned me that, in regard to news media and photojournalism, I should believe NONE of what I read and only HALF of what I see. This piece only serves to show that journalism, in all its forms, has become more about making a story than reporting one. It's the butterfly effect on steroids in conflict situations, isn't it?
    Last edited by WhoDo; 08-10-2011 at 4:17pm. Reason: punk-she-ayshun.
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...