Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Help with deciding camera !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with deciding camera !

Hey guys,

well im sick of going herping (looking for reptiles) with my point and shoot lately as its useless, as it only allows me to get close and than the reptile runs away and the pictures usually come out bad anyway
    so ive decided to get a DLSR before christmas

im looking for a camera + lens that will be about $1500 all up
    so far ive been thinking a Canon 550D or a Nikon D5000 ... also want to get some ok videos with it
    can anyone else recommend any cameras or lens (lens to be about $400)
    i mainly want to take good macro photos that are clear like this - http://www.flickr.com/photos/stephen...in/photostream (one of my mates pics, he has a really expensive camera though)
    if anyone could help it would be awesome, so yeah mainly want a camera that will take good pics of reptiles and bugs

Nick
    Last edited by richoman3; 04-10-2011 at 8:47pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know much about Canon & Nikon but a quick look at the specs of both, they don't seem all that similar except in price range.

Also consider the Pentax K5 and the Sony a55

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Canon probably have the greater part of the market for a reason. I am on my second canon and the 400D is still serving me well along with the 50D. I went through the same issue trying to decide, Nikon, Pentax or Canon and I can only tell you why I chose the canon.
    When I see pro photographers around the place and in the media I see a large percentage of them using the obvious grey lens that indicates Canon so I figure that must rate them well and from what I could make out at the time Canon just seem to have a greater range of lens and accessaries (my observation only). Feature wise they were all pretty much the same.
    The final deal breaker was my mate already had a canon 30D and it had served him very well not to mention the great shots I seen taken with it.

So, I am not bagging out the other brands as they all have merit but for me the Canon was a great decision and I stick with that brand. Hope tht helps.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Nick

Ah mate - where does one start ...?
    There are many possibilities [and others here will offer you their 2-bob's worth too]

The canon users will say 'go canon' ... the nikon &/or pentax &/or sony will all do the same too
    Cameras are much like motor cars insofar as "they're all much the same technically, but the ergonomics will determine what you like"

It will very much be a case of 'you'll get what you pay for' ... a hi-end camera will have more features than an 'entry' level camera, but at 3x to 5x the price too

Lenses will vary a lot - the so-called "kit lenses" get mixed reviews, but overall most here seem to quickly dispose of them for better glass

And there's always the alternative -for a newbie- of going 2nd-hand and picking up someone else's quite okay camera where they have just upgraded to something better

Regards, Phil
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    richo,

go for whatever feels good in your hands. At your budget (under 1500) you could easily get a canon 60D rather than the 550 or 600 with one lens. Especially if you go grey market. My 60D was 1250 with the 18-55 thrown in. Can't name stores but it was from a well known aussie bricks and mortar shop. Work out which camera you want first (try a few out), then shop around for price.

Have fun.
    60D Gripped- EFS 18-55mm, 18-135mm, Nifty50, YN565, Manfrotto, CarrySpeed Strap and a long wish list.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/redbaronflash/
    http://razzi.me/redflash

"Just trying to have a little bit of fun folks, that's all." Dean Martin

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richoman3 View Post
    .........http://www.flickr.com/photos/stephen...in/photostream (one of my mates pics, he has a really expensive camera though)
    Will your mate be able to lend you some lens occasionally? (do you go and take photographs together?) If so, consider the camera brand he has.
    As has been mentioned, go and see what feels good in your hands. I had some Canon lenses (from my film days), did quite a bit of research and decided the 550D body was the camera for me. Went and had a feel and bought a 60D, and I'm glad I did. What ever you decide, shop around for the best price.
    Others can advise on lenses, I just know I need to buy better ones now. That's seems to be a never ending story once you get a DSLR.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. I'm the mate, unfortunately we live a fair way away and it is unlikely I could lend him a lens under most circumstances.
    Last edited by GeckPhotographer; 04-10-2011 at 11:33pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own a Nikkor 35mm f/1.8g and it is perfect for making shots like the one you attached plus it is a great all round lens. It's way sharper and better in low light than a kit lens, not to mention smaller and lighter. On a d5100 it is a no-brainer IMHO. It's about $250 from memory (d5100 is around $850). I think canon makes a similar lens too but I'm not sure about its close focus distance.

I reckon this combo will make you very happy and get you in under budget too.

Good luck on your decision
    Last edited by A J Alderson; 04-10-2011 at 11:41pm.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Phil said above we are all probably going to recommend what we know and use.

After about 40 years using Canon (pre-digital) I jumped ship to Pentax with no regrets at all.

In my opinion the best value deal at the moment is the Pentax K5 @ $1159.00 local from DCW with Pentax warranty.
    Google it and check the reviews.

The Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 DC Macro would be a great starter for you (around $340.00) or you could watch for a pre-loved Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro, a true 1:1 macro plus a great short telephoto.

As a couple of guys have already mentioned, get into a store that carries all brands and see how they feel in your hands.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks heaps guys
    im looking at getting a canon D60 now
    anyone recommend a good $400 lens? i mainly want a macro one and maybe one for longer distance (say 5m away)
    Last edited by richoman3; 05-10-2011 at 12:18am.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Brand choice is really just personal choice these days, all the top DSLR manufacturers offer something that probably fits your budget, and is quite capable of producing brilliant results in the hands of a skilled photographer, who knows what lens and settings to use, in any given shoot situation.

So go have a look, try them out, and get the one that YOU want to use. Don't just buy into a brand cause someone else said it was better than the others, cause chances are, that someone else has a bias that is not based on fact. The only time to buy a brand based on someone else's recommendation is when that someone is a close family member, friend, using the same brand who has offered to let you share their lenses/flashes etc, as it can mean quite a good cost saving as you set yourself up with your own kit.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks heaps guys
    anyone recommend a good $400 lens? i mainly want a macro one and maybe one for longer distance (say 5m away)
    Canon D60 was launched in 2002 and rocks a 6.3 Mpix sensor. :P

$400, tamron 90mm f2.8 for true macro shots.

If not you can pick up something along the lines of a 55-250IS for some distance as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    regardless - youll still have to get close to the bug.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    thanks heaps guys