Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shooting into the sun

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban mandab99's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well my and my girls went and done our little afternoon photoshoot and I was quite happy with some of my final images as they were exactly how I had pictured them. One of my faves was actually taken in full auto mode when we first got there, I wanted to see what settings the camera would choose.
    I didnt have any problem shooting into the sun and just made sure it was always just out of the frame so I didnt end up with any sunflare in any of my images only a lovely soft haze which was what I had wanted. When I shot in manual mode I ended up using partial metering on my girls faces and overexposing by approx 1 3/4 stops, no flash needed.
    I have posted some of the images in the members photos critique forum if anyone wants a nosey.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried shooting into the sun a few times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A decent start for shooting into the sun is - meter your exposure for the subject that you want correctly exposed in the frame, and ignore the sun.
    Successful People Make Adjustments - Evander Holyfield

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget, all the things that people have mentioned as downsides of shooting into the sun can also be used to great effect, provided they are intentional. Some of my favourite shots have been silhouettes, had massive lens flare or blown out backgrounds. Sometimes, that has even been intentional
    Honest C&C welcome on everything I post. If you re-work my pictures, please let me know what you did, so i can learn.
    Andrew: Picasaweb | RedBubble
    1D Mk II * 400D, 100-400 f/3.5-5.6L, 70-200 f2.8/L * 28-70 f/2.8L * 100-400 f/4-5.6L * /Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 EXDC * Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro * Kenko 2X TC * 430EX * Olympus u-tough 8000 * AE1+, Sigma 50 f1.4, Kiron 80 - 210

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Another thing to add, you can get away with shooting into the sun with a wide angle lens, more than you can with a telephoto. The wide angle makes the sun a much smaller element in the scene and as Jim's photos above show, leave you with a lot of interest. But lens flare is the trade off. Lens flare is not inherently bad, in itself, but it can ruin a good shot if it is over powering.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thing that I often do is to use a 9 or above stop ND filter. This obviously lets limited light in and results in a longer exposure. If done correctly the sun comes out with rays all around it without being blown out. Ofcourse this is best done when the sun is low rather than up high with its full glory.
    Cheers DJ

I am a keen learner and always seeking improvement tips from others

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ving View Post
    i use a thousand oaks solar filter....
    +1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you damage your eye when looking through a dslr viewfinder when the sun is in frame?

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day S08

Quote Originally Posted by skanker08 View Post
    Can you damage your eye when looking through a dslr viewfinder when the sun is in frame?
    It would be 'unlikey' with wide-angle lenses where things become smaller than full-size, and my answer would be a definite 'yes' - esp with any tele lens where ethe sun is bigger & brighter than normal

The job of the dSLR viewfinder is to show you at a full 100% what the lens is seeing - there is no electronic intervention as there is with electronic viewfinders in the other type of cameras [where the v/f can lighten & darken according to the brightness of the scene being viewed]

I would be comfortable with viewing a sunset thru a 200-300mm lens, but I wouldn't leave my eye at the v/f for much longer than the time it took to focus & compose

Hope this helps ...
    Regards, Phil
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply Phil, I thought it must be reasonably safe as you say minimizing time spent with sun in frame (due to the number of shots that abound with sun in view) but its always made me a little nervous believe it or not.

Cheers, Mick
    Last edited by skanker08; 14-03-2012 at 10:16pm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12