Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Conversion of whole photo + video library

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Conversion of whole photo + video library

Hi All,

I have all my photos and videos i have taken sitting on a NAS (storage device) which all the PC's and TV etc have access to.

The problem with the videos is that when I stream them to the iPad for instance, the huge quality files refuse to play well and there is stuttering etc.

I can convert each file into a smaller version and that works fine but i have about 2 TB of video and photos so there is a very large volume.

I was hoping to have some type of program which would take all my folders with high res photos and high res videos and automatically convert them into low res photos and videos using the same folder structure.

e.g. i would have \\nas\highres\2011\triptoNZ and \\nas\lowres\2011\triptoNZ. I would access whichever version i am after. the software could scan for additionas to the highres and auto convert so i dont have to do a thing.

I know some streaming servers can conver on the fly, but i dont seem to have the ability to do that.

Is there any software which will do what I am after or some other trick i could use?

Thanks

boggo
    boggo.

feel free to fix my shots and send them back to me!

canon 5d2

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    try FVD video suite. It has a converter, which I have heard good things about, but I will admit that I have not used it.. and it is free:
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the NAS an 'all-in-one' type of device, or a home built device?

if it's a all in one purchased unit, say from WD/Seagate/Netgear or who ever, is there the possibility to upload a hacked/custom firmware to it.

I generally tend to do these types of purchased based on a bit of research as to which one allows this ability, or if it has open firmware installed by default, as sometimes the pre installed firmwares can be lacking in features.

I'm assuming that the NAS is attached to a router in the network.
    Is there an option to do the server streaming via the router instead?

If not, is a new router with server streaming capability an option too.

Seems like a waste(of space) to have duplicated files.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N