Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Seeking advice on lenses for travel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seeking advice on lenses for travel

Hi All

Next year I will be taking a short trip overseas and am hoping for some advice regarding lenses. I currently have a 400D with the standard twin lens kit but I was thinking of getting a superzoom as I don't want to keep changing lenses or take too much with me. I am getting $300 as a Christmas gift to put towards my purchase but anything above that will come out of my travel funds which I am hoping to minimise. I have found 3 lenses which fall in or around my budget and was hoping for opinions on these or other suggestions. The ones I have found are Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6IS,
    Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OS and Tamron 18-200mm F3.5-6.3XR DI II.

I will be going to California and Las Vegas and hope to see the Grand Canyon and Alcatraz amongst other things so I need to be prepared for whatever photo opportunities arise.
    Thank You

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure of prices but there is also a Canon EF-S 18-200mm 3.5-5.6 with Image stabiliser. That is what I take when I travel and don't want to be burdened with lenses. It's definitely better than using the 2 twin kit lenses. The only time I changed lenses while travelling was to use my wide-angle 10-22mm. You could also consider selling your twin lenses to reduce the cost of the new lens. I find it still takes nice sharp shots that are perfect for the travel photo-album. I also carry a 50mm f/1.8 which is so cheap (and lightweight) that it was worth it. Good for those shots where you really want to isolate the subject.
    Last edited by mcmahong; 03-10-2011 at 11:50pm. Reason: error in explanation
    http://bit.ly/dnc5cT

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The prices I have found for the Canon 18-200mm are double those of the lenses I mentioned. I am sure it's a good lens but slightly out of my price range. I have a nifty fifty and may take that with me if I can find a good bag that does not take up to much room in my suitcase. Selling the twin lenses is an interesting idea.
    Cheers

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If not changing lenses is your goal, an 18-200 is a good choice, as it allows reasonable wide angle for landscapes and then at the 200 end gives you a reasonable zoom. So from your two, Sigma or Tamron, it is really down to personal choice, as the quality of both is very similar. If you can afford two lenses, add a Sigma 10-20 to your options as the wide angles that produces will give you stunning vistas in the Grand Canyon, and expansive landscapes elsewhere in your travels as well
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took an 18-200mm as my only lens for my trip to the US. I would advise getting a 200mm over the 135mm as that 65mm of extra reach will come in handy.
    Nikon D90, 18-200VR II, Tokina 100mm Macro, Sigma 150-500, Nikkor 35mm, Giotto Rocket Air Blower

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently went on a trip to Europe and I used the Sigma 18 - 250mm on my Canon 450D and I was more than happy with it. Cost was around the $400 from DWI.

Karl
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Canon G12 in a Recsea housing with twin YS110 Alpha strobes
    Canon 7D with Sigma 18 - 250mm & 170 - 500mm lenses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My travel lenses are Tamron 18-270mm - its image stabilised and generally pretty good - and Canon 10-22 and 50mm 1.4. Sometimes I have left the 50mm at home and taken the Canon EF-S 17-55 2.8.

Worst lenses I have traveled with are large L class lenses - the weight is a killer and ruins the enjoyment. I am at the point where I am seriously looking at smaller systems such as the micro 4/3 stuff to make for lighter travel.
    Hobart Camera semi newbie

Canon 50D
    Canon EF-S 17-55 2.8
    Tamron 18-270 mm
    Canon 10-22mm lens
    Canon 50 mm 1.4
    Benro Carbon Fibre Tripod C-258 + B-1 Head
    Canon 10D EF 100mm 1:2.8 Macro Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX
    imac 24" 2.8 Aperature II

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmcgreg View Post
    Worst lenses I have traveled with are large L class lenses - the weight is a killer and ruins the enjoyment.
    I guess it depends on whether you class yourself as a photographer who travels, or a traveller who photographs. For me, it would be a shame to travel somewhere exotic and then come home with photos that were less than I knew I was capable of getting. No personal digs intended there BTW.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    18-135mm isn't really much of a zoom, so of the remaining it's an easy choice for Sigma, as you want OS at that length
    I assume you didn't include a Tamron with VC due to price.

I wouldn't pay extra to get more than 200mm, for me the loss in IQ isn't worth the tiny extra reach (think angle of view, not mm)

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your advice. I have ordered the Sigma and it should arrive next week

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 18-200 focal length is great for travelling. I have the Nikon VRII 18-200 and it was great all through South America and the USA. The only thing i would suggest is taking a nifty 50 or 35mm ( I prefer 35mm on a DX body as its about the same as 50mm on a FX). It's small so doesn't take up much space and also great for shooting at night when a fast lens is required as the 18-200s are pretty slow.

Make sure you hit the Grand Canyon up at Sunset, it's absolutely breathtaking.

Good luck with the Sigma.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Zonda,
    I am looking at a sunset tour for the Grand Canyon. I'm sure it will be awesome. I am also going to get a small bag for my kit and will take my nifty 50 with me