User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  17

Thread: First Grade Sporting Fixtures : Reminder about Entry Terms and Conditions

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

First Grade Sporting Fixtures : Reminder about Entry Terms and Conditions

Just a reminder that most of the first (or A) grade sporting fixtures have entry terms and conditions that restrict what you can do with any photos you take at these events. Cricket Australia, Tennis Australia, Australian Football League, Australian Grand Prix, National Rugby League, V8 Supercars, Moto GP and not limited to just these, all have conditions of entry that allow photos taken at their events to be only used for private, personal purposes.

Posting these photos onto Ausphotography breaches these Event entry T&C. As these organisations do not view internet forums as private, personal use.

Please be aware that if you attend a first grade sporting event, you generally cannot place any photos taken, on Ausphotography. There are a few exceptions (depending on the T&C). Most of these organisations have restrictions that involve photos of the players, match entertainment, etc. If you have taken a photo of the crowd, or a wide angle shot of the stadium, you can post those, if the T&C directly relate to the sports persons and on-field events only. So please make sure you read and understand the terms and conditions of entry to any of these events, in relation to photography, and abide by them.

Posting photos taken at these events could (if the relevant authority wanted to) mean that Ausphotography has a "Take Down Notice" applied to it, which could just be a demand to remove the relevant photo(s) from the AP site. It could include a request for a members personal details (they may want to contact the member to pursue legal action) or at the other extreme, it could see Ausphotography completely and permanently removed from the net. We have received several take-down notices in the past, and one request for a personal details so they could pursue the matter further. We refused to provide those personal details without a court order.

So please make yourself familiar with the entry T&C for any event you attend, in relation to taking photos at the event, and apply those rules to yourself, and note that private, domestic, personal use, generally does not include posting the photos onto forums.

I will try and edit this post and add links to the relevant entry conditions for the various sports. Please be aware these links may become invalid, and the entry conditions may change, from the date of posting. So we do not ensure their accuracy, and it is up to each member to ensure they meet the entry conditions at the time of the event.

V8 Supercars: http://user.v8supercarevents.com.au/pages/?PageID=33 (added 22/06/2014)
    Last edited by ricktas; 22-06-2014 at 9:05am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's pretty damn stupid and restrictive from those organisations if you ask me. You go to watch your favourite sportsperson or team play and you take a few pics but you can't display them publicly because of some ridiculous T&Cs. Most of these events won't allow members of the public to take in a lens 200mm or larger. But that is what the world has come to.
    Attitude is everything!

Cheers, Paul

Nikon

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The real issue is the media companies that sell images.
    They have tight contracts and are after the $$$.
    Further, they actually troll forums looking for offenders.
    We've had one sports photo company join AP (several times) and 'hunt down' some of our members images.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree Paul. Posting them on photography forums for critique and comment is not the same as sticking them on RedBubble etc, with $ attached to them. I reckon the intent of the T&C was to mainly stop unauthorised sales, but they have become all encompassing.

Unfortunately, sites like AP, have to abide by the wishes/demands of these organisations, cause failing to do so, could impact the site severely.
    Last edited by ricktas; 20-10-2013 at 7:31am.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is my camera club. If I chose to post a photo here for CC, it is only available to active members, and it is for my person use.
    Guess some people don't understand free publicity.
    Nontheless, I understand what you're saying Rick. It is how it is.
    Last edited by Mark L; 14-11-2011 at 9:56pm.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S, a speedlite, a tripod, a monopod, a remote release and a padded bag to carry things in.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    This is my camera club. If I chose to post a photo here for CC, it is only available to active members, and it is for my person use.
    Guess some people don't understand free publicity.
    Nontheless, I understand what you're saying Rick. It is how it is.
    Agree, but in the past we have had people join up who have been from these organisations. They have then either sent me a take-down notice, demanding photos in a thread be removed, or that I remove them and provide them with all details of the member. Note that I will not give out members details unless directed to do so, by an Australian Court! At one point, we had the owner of a property (derelict) contact me wanting all the details of several members who had photos of the property, from inside, as they wanted to take them to court for trespass.

So even though AP isn't commercial in the sense of we don't sell photos on the site, presenting them here, can be the cause of quite a deal of trouble for me, and the member(s) involved, esp if someone wanted to go to court and get an order that required me to give them members details. I would rather abide by the T&C, than see members dragged into court over a photo placed on the site.

The best approach we could do, is to try and get the T&C changed, but that is easier said than done. I have suggested a rewording to a couple of the organisations, after being approached by them re photos on the site, only to be met with deathly silence on that issue.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just bumping this thread as a reminder to all who attend A-Grade sporting fixtures to read the entry terms and conditions regarding photography at the event.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the heads up Rick, and for posting this for members to see, i had this explained to me first hand by Kym yesterday after having my thread taken down for the reasons above, i dont agree with T&C but rules are rules and interpretation of them is different to each of us, i have written a E-Mail to cooperate Motogp asking for permission to post the images on this web site, lets see if they can even be bothered responding.
    Comments and Criticisms are always appreciated.

Thank You:

John

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Congo View Post
    Thanks for the heads up Rick, and for posting this for members to see, I had this explained to me first hand by Kym yesterday after having my thread taken down for the reasons above, i dont agree with T&C but rules are rules and interpretation of them is different to each of us, I have written a E-Mail to cooperate Motogp asking for permission to post the images on this web site, lets see if they can even be bothered responding.
    If you get permission, the thread can be re-instated (it's hidden for now). They are some great images which is quite sad we cannot share them

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    An update on this topic.

If you seek and gain appropriate permission from the relevant authority to post your photos from A Grade sporting fixtures onto AP, we will allow them to be posted. Once your permission is granted, you can post with your thread that you have the permission of the sporting body to post the photos.

This is what Congo arranged for his thread : http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...126766-Moto-Gp
    He has been given written permission via email from the Australian Grand Prix Corporation, to post his MotoGP photos onto AP specifically.

So as long as you have approval and can produce a copy of that approval on request, we can allow your A Grade sporting fixture photos onto the site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take it that those restrictions would apply to Flikr etc etc. or any public site. cheers Brian
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bricat View Post
    I take it that those restrictions would apply to Flikr etc etc. or any public site. cheers Brian
    depends on the entry T&C but if it states 'personal domestic use' or similar, then past experience in relation to AP suggests they do not treat photography websites as personal or domestic. I cannot answer for the organisations or Flickr, only from the experiences I have had for AP, where we have had take-down notices issued and legal threats.

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Suncorp Stadium T&Cs have changed
    http://www.suncorpstadium.com.au/Eve...onditions.aspx
    • Cameras (including digital cameras), audio and video recorders may only be brought into the Stadium at the discretion of Stadium management.
    • Patrons are not permitted to transmit, broadcast, sell, license or otherwise publish, disseminate or reproduce any recordings (including photographic, video or sound recordings) of the event or match without the prior written approval of Stadium management. Such recordings may be confiscated or erased. Any recordings or recording device which are confiscated will become the property of the Stadium owner.

Ausphotography Veteran Speedway's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I attended my first A League Soccer match last night and have searched everywhere for any restrictions on photos and can find none on either the A League website, the AAMI Stadium website or the conditions of entry on the ticket. I was held up for a while at the entry as they queried my 7D and 70-200 lens but when the supervisor came to the gate she took one look and ok'd it, nothing else was said there either. So can I post photos here or not?
    Cheers
    Keith.
    Last edited by Speedway; 29-12-2013 at 12:17am.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    I attended my first A League Soccer match last night and have searched everywhere for any restrictions on photos and can find none on either the A League website, the AAMI Stadium website or the conditions of entry on the ticket. I was held up for a while at the entry as they queried my 7D and 70-200 lens but when the supervisor came to the gate she took one look and ok'd it, nothing else was said there either. So can I post photos here or not?
    Cheers
    Keith.
    I found this Keith : http://www.aamipark.com.au/arriving-...ions-of-entry/

But to be sure I have emailed them to get clarification on what usage rights you have. I will let you know.

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    I found this Keith : http://www.aamipark.com.au/arriving-...ions-of-entry/

But to be sure I have emailed them to get clarification on what usage rights you have. I will let you know.
    Wrong AAMI
    AAMI stadium (Footy park) in Adelaide is a different stadium.
    AFL has left AAMI and is now based at Adelaide Oval (Crows and the powder puffs).
    AAMI is owned by the SANFL

A-league soccer http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/...512-source.pdf
    Items 8 and 13 are relevant
    Last edited by Kym; 29-12-2013 at 9:28am.

Ausphotography Veteran Speedway's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is the correct AAMI stadium Kim (Vic). I have emailed the FFA re posting the photos on AP. Their terms and conditions are well hidden on their site but I finally found them, reading them there seems to be no problem as long as they are not for sale or commercial use. I will wait for the FFA response.
    Email to FFA.
    I attended the match at AAMI Stadium on the 28-12-2013 and took a number of photos, can I post a small selection (5-10 photos) on a photographic forum (www.ausphotography.net.au) for photography critique by other members of the forum. The photos are posted purely for technique critique and are not for sale or redistribution.
    Thanking you
    Keith Goss.
    Keith

Canon 400D Gripped, Canon 7D LCD Timer Gripped, Canon 70-200 f2.8L is ii. Canon 2X iii Extender, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 18-250, Sigma 17-50 F2.8, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 90mm Macro, Yonguno YN460 & 460ii Speedlights and a Hanimax TZ 1 Flash, Wireless Triggers ,LED Macro Ringlight, Extension Tubes, 3 tripods, 2 monopods, PS Elements 5 & 10, PSP9 and canon s/ware, various filters and other photographic paraphernalia all packed in a computrecker backpack + 3 smaller bags and an aluminium case.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    From Football Australia (Soccer)

Hi Ricki,

That’s correct. Images taken by non-accredited photographers at Hyundai A-League, Westfield W-League and Foxtel National Youth League matches are for personal private use only and not for publication (print, online etc)

Regards,
    Adam

So at this time A-League Soccer (football) game photos cannot be placed on Ausphotography. Sorry everyone.