Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  58
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I think I just sold my soul...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I just sold my soul...

A photographer friend of mine contacted me this morning, telling me to get in contact with another lady, as she needed someone to shoot a wedding for her.

Phoned up the other lady, who is also a photographer, and she basically said that I'll just be her assistant all day, will take a few photos, and that I'll be using her memory cards, so I don't get any images from it for my folio. I'll be shooting/assisting for just over 3 hours, and won't be getting paid for it.

She was prepared to pay me, until she asked what camera's I have [2x Canon 400D bodies] and she said that she wouldn't pay me because she couldn't be guaranteed good photos from it, but she was going to pay the other lady [my photographer friend that I first mentioned] because she has A 60D body. Yet, me being the stupid pushover that I am, I agreed to do the shoot anyway. I don't want to sound like I'm pretentious, but I think my photos are better than the other woman who she was prepared to pay.

I'm pretty sure I just sold out. ARGH!

Canon 400D | 60mm f2.8 | 18-55mm | 75-300mm| 50mm f1.8 | 430EXII | Photoshop CS4
    Helpful & Honest Critique/Advice appreciated

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol probably.

However, you could look at it that all you have done is devoted 1 day of your life to doing something you enjoy and in return you are going to get an experience that you may not otherwise have got

The lead photographer is being protective of the images in terms of not allowing you to keep any and I understand that. The comment about images from the 400D not being good enough is either snobery or ignorance. I still think she should pay you as it is a resource that she is willing to use regardless of her opinion of your cameras.

If it was me I would go along for the experience anyway but I have never done a wedding so it would be worth it for me.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'm glad to get the opportunity to shoot it, and I've already got two other weddings lined up for October, but yeah, it was just the principle of the matter that I'm a little frustrated about. I'm one of those people who can't say no to people who want help with something. I ended up getting off the phone to her feeling very frustrated, so I needed a vent :P

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The moment they said to 400D was no good I'd have walked.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does seem a very low price for one soul.
    Can you buy it back by saying that you have changed your mind,that you have reconsidered and that the deal is not good enough.
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It aint always about the camera

Just ask my buddy with a A900.
    Cartel Imagery
    Flickr

Nikon D7000
    Sony a65
    Canon 5D MKII

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about suggesting a "pay for use" deal? ie if she ends up using any of the photos taken by you with your 400D, then she'll pay you for each photo that she uses. This circumnavigates her misplaced distrust of the 400D and would give you some reward if you do produce better photos than the other lady with the 60D.

Either way, there is value in gaining experience during the course of the day, so probably worth doing anyway. Perhaps also worth asking if the photographer would mind you looking over her shoulder when she eventually gets round to processing the photos / selecting the best ones for the client. This is an important part of the 'end deliverable' that the client sees.
    Richard
    Canon 5D4 & 7D2 | 11-24 f/4 L | 24-105 f/4 L | 100-400 L II | 85 f/1.2 L | 35 f/1.4 L II | 100 f/2.8 L macro | MP-E 65 f/2.8 macro | 1.4x | 580EX2 | MT-24 Twin Lite | Manfrotto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amy, Amy, Amy . . . oh, you only have a 400D . . . well, that must mean you don't really know what you are doing then doesn't it??
    Okay, come on, say it with me - Nooo . . that's it, try it again - NOOO.
    See, it's easy.
    So the next time a condescending, arrogant, fluffed up, brand snob makes you feel like they are doing you a favour by talking to, when in fact you are helping them out, tell them to get . . . sorry, sorry, tell them NOOOO!
    Fred
    D600, D300, D5100, F100
    Sigma 50mm f/1.4; Sigma 24-70 f/2.8; Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8; Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 VR.
    3 X Nikon SB-700 Speedlights; Battery Grip; Manfrotto 679B Monopod

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agb View Post
    It does seem a very low price for one soul.
    Can you buy it back by saying that you have changed your mind,that you have reconsidered and that the deal is not good enough.
    Maybe not so much my soul, but my personal integrity.

Thanks Tricky Once she emails through final details I think I'll reply saying that she has to pay for the images she uses. Cause I'll be freaking peeved if she gives the bride and groom their images and they're mostly mine!!

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Amy, Amy, Amy . . . oh, you only have a 400D . . . well, that must mean you don't really know what you are doing then doesn't it??
    Okay, come on, say it with me - Nooo . . that's it, try it again - NOOO.
    See, it's easy.
    So the next time a condescending, arrogant, fluffed up, brand snob makes you feel like they are doing you a favour by talking to, when in fact you are helping them out, tell them to get . . . sorry, sorry, tell them NOOOO!
    Ohhh Fredo, you make it sound so easy! I'll know for next time though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was reading your op I must say my first thought was the same as agb, but as its been arranged through a friend that would cause a problem. My next reaction is the same as Tricky's, if they're good enough to use they're good enough to pay for, but how will you know what she gives the couple.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have her phone number.....Tell her no deal it's not the camera that takes the photo it's the photographer...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look, its pretty hard getting a gig as an assistant to a good wedding photographer (Im assuming they are)

Make the most of out it imho
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on getting the gig, should be a real eye-opener!

One thing you could also consider is telling her that you will use your memory cards in your camera. That way you'll have a bit more control over those absolutely rubbish images that you'll shoot.

Andrew.
    https://forkandfoot.com

Nikon D7000
    Sigma 10-20mm ~ Nikon 18-55mm ~ Nikon 55-200mm ~ Manfrotto 190XProB ~ Manfrotto 488RC2
    ~ LowePro Top Load Zoom 1

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Look, its pretty hard getting a gig as an assistant to a good wedding photographer (Im assuming they are)

Make the most of out it imho
    I dunno even know how good she is. Just got the message from my friend this morning saying please contact the other lady, have searched both Google and Facebook for the other lady's name, and haven't found anything relating to photography. So I can't even look at her work to see how she takes her shots etc.

Quote Originally Posted by gw.toad View Post
    You have her phone number.....Tell her no deal it's not the camera that takes the photo it's the photographer...
    Yeah too right. Argh, this woman has just gotten me all riled up with her blatant snobbery and pretentiousness.

Quote Originally Posted by stoogest View Post
    Congrats on getting the gig, should be a real eye-opener!

One thing you could also consider is telling her that you will use your memory cards in your camera. That way you'll have a bit more control over those absolutely rubbish images that you'll shoot.

Andrew.
    Yeah I'm considering that Andrew. There at least has to be a bit more incentive there for me to do the best I can, instead of just being someone's lackey.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    check whether she's in aipp, might find her there.

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm - strange comment - 400D is only purchased by crappy photographers who can't take a descent photo so they buy a crappy 400D - LOL. My daughter hired a photographer for her wedding who arrived with a 40D and a 24-105 lens.
    I arrived at my daughters wedding with my 400D and my Tamron AF SP 17-50 2.8 and took photo's when not required for formalities.

When my daughter was looking through all the shots with her friends etc to choose which ones to print for frames on the wall - guess whose shots she chose MINE. Maybe I got the only really good copy of the 400D.

I have since upgraded to a 50D and some new glass but still carry my 400D with Tammy mounted and to be honest, sometimes I prefer the 400D for low light shots.

What I don't get, is if this person has so much knowledge and experience in photography, why would she make a stupid comment like that. If anything, I thought it was more about the glass than the body for IQ and all down to the eye behind the hands holding the body that made good photography.
    Be nice to have someone say how great your shots are compared to this person hey. Go the 400D, a great camera and served me well.

Last edited by mikew09; 28-09-2011 at 2:55pm.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fine if the gig wasn't a paying one to start with. But I don't tolerate ignorance or arrogance well, would've told her in which orifices she could insert the gig...
    Some Pentax stuff and junk

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should probably add that my friend had contacted me saying 'can you do this job for me, I don't have time, she's willing to pay $50 per hour or more'

And she was prepared to pay me the $50 per hour UNTIL I said I was using two 400Ds.

Have also since discovered that the photographer herself "only" uses a 40D...which is kind of one step up from mine. Yeah sure if she was using 5D MKII's or 1Ds MK III or something I could understand the snobbery a bit better, but come on! One step up doesn't give her the right to not pay me. Sure my friend would have been using her 7D, but who cares?!

Thinking I'm definitely going to back out, but at what cost to me? Will she spread my name as being a timewaster and a flake? Or is it going to be better in the long term for me to just grin and bear it?

And Kiwi, nope she isn't AIPP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you want the experience ? Forget her, its about what you get.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast