User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  20
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Facebook doomed ... Muaaaa ha ha ha!

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Facebook doomed ... Muaaaa ha ha ha!

Facebook doomed ... Muaaaa ha ha ha!!

http://www.zdnet.com.au/predicting-d...26092011_fea_4

Is anyone else getting the feeling in the back of their mind that Facebook has peaked? Time for a doom prediction.

Facebook has been the social network of choice for millions of people for some time now and has recently been fending off attacks from smaller social networks like Twitter and Google+. You may have heard of them.

So far it's done a bang-up job of ensuring it's the number one destination for people to congregate online and share pictures of cats, but countless awful site redesigns and many different privacy snafus have cheapened the once sacred social network.

Take the most recent site redesign, for example, overhauling the news feed again, plastering a live feed to the right-hand side of a screen complete with an obnoxious chat box. And don't get me started on the recent integration of messages into a chat-style interface.

I know I'm complaining about a service that's free to use, but with the latest overhaul it's taken away the reason I use Facebook. Personal space.

I use Facebook to keep in touch with a core group of friends. A handful or so. The rest of the people I have on Facebook, I keep there so I can maintain acquaintance-style contact with them. Sorry if you're reading this.

It seems that if I want peace now from the banalities of my acquaintances, I have to go to Google+ for some alone time.

Mark Zuckerberg has not only taken privacy off of the users on his social network, he's now taken away personal space, too.

Long live great forums!
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GOOD !!
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I know I'm complaining about a service that's free to use" - yes you are, and I can't give much credibility to anyone writing on ZDNet complaining about the latest FB change (there's been many of them over the years, and every time people complain & whine for 2 or 3 weeks, then get over it) and who clearly hasn't worked out how to tweak the new settings to suit their FB use. It took me about 10 minutes to reconfigure my page to the way I like it. FB currently has something in excess of 700 million users. I'm on Google+ at the moment and have 3 friends there. I wouldn't go writing off FB just yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will keep on dominating I think.

The thing about social networks is market leadership, that clear leader is facebook, nobody wants to have to triple post to twitter, facebook and G+ updates etc

I do laugh at the ridiculous and contant cut and pasted updates (mostly wrong) about changes, security, chraging for facebook etc

Now, if AP added chat to here - now you're talking
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried "chat" on my website/forum. But it didn't really work.
    I have noticed now that you don't hear "Send me a Tweat" much anymore. So could it be the demise of Tweater instead of FB.
    I think Google+ is busting it's guts to get into the social network frenzy. But it is still trying to re-invent the wheel that FB has still has connected to the Ferrari.
    I don't post images on FB unless it of family or friends that I have on there. And I do use the chat just to keep in contact. I might post a comment one a week if that, and only on a friends initial post.
    Facebook is here to stay I think.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the newest thing about facebook is that they track your web browsing even when you are not logged in, the only way not to be tracked is to have a seperate browser for surfing the net.
    canon 5D mark III tamron 24-70 2.8 vc, 50mm 1.8, tamrom 70-200 2.8 vc, remote tripod
    perseverance

Rob

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what's facebook?
    cc and enjoy

Photography is painting with light

K1, Pentax 18-250mm zoom, Pentax 100mm macro, Sigma 50-500mm, Pentax 28-105mm
    Velbon Sherpa tripod Photoshop CS6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPhot View Post
    "I know I'm complaining about a service that's free to use" - yes you are, and I can't give much credibility to anyone writing on ZDNet complaining about the latest FB change (there's been many of them over the years, and every time people complain & whine for 2 or 3 weeks, then get over it) and who clearly hasn't worked out how to tweak the new settings to suit their FB use. It took me about 10 minutes to reconfigure my page to the way I like it. FB currently has something in excess of 700 million users. I'm on Google+ at the moment and have 3 friends there. I wouldn't go writing off FB just yet.

Im with you on that one!

Facebook and Mr Zuckerberg already stated at the recent F8 conference for developers - that FB needs to continually innovate and expand with fresh ideas, otherwise it will fall into stagnation like Myspace did and be overtaken by FB, with Google+ looming in the near distance - it was a right step for FB for its long term survival.

Besides, its a free service I use, Im not paying a monthly or yearly subscription, its a win win for me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm ! Seems like you, like it and use it , Or it's a social evil , All I know is my 15yr old son is on it till 2.30am lately with a new Girlfriend chatting away , Then he's cranky all day , The truth is , No way could I be on Facebook and AP at the same time , I'm not fast enough anymore

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    Long live great forums!
    As far as chatting with family and friends goes, we use e-mail and the telephone.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I dont see it as social networking but rather a viral marketing site. Ever noticed how everything you look at or post changes the ads you see on thee right of your FB page?

Do I use it, yep, but lately I am using it less and less. I think the decrease (not demise) of social networking is round the corner, when people get sick of interacting online with people the often don't see. ( I recently decreased my friends list from over 250 down to under 150).

So will it see a demise, probably not, will it see a decrease in usage, probably!
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crikey, the guy is whinging he wants 'personal space' and 'alone time',,,........................ why doesn't he just turn them all off ??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the growth of numbers joining FB has declined, so, what they now need to do is maximise the penetration and usage and cross promotion and advertising of the massive consumer database that they have

will be interesting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    As far as chatting with family and friends goes, we use e-mail and the telephone.
    There are a lot of things people do in their lives, that aren't worth making a phone call or sending an email, but that Grandparents etc might like to know to feel "in touch" with their grandkids from a distance.
    My Mum loves hearing what the girls are up to, and can do that through status updates, and photos they post, that are just everyday things, and often a mobile pic you'd never bother to send to someone specifically, so it has great use for distant family that want to feel like they're there with you in your everyday life, instead of feeling distant, and waiting for the weekly (if you're lucky) phone call or email. Ideally it would be good to do both - email and telephone them regularly - but also keep up with the everyday happenings in their life through FB.

I sure as hell don't see it dying off. I do however dislike the latest change where people I'm not friends with, and I have my security locked down against, can now see any status I put up if one of their friends comments on it. You have to ask your friends to go to your page, choose subscription, and UN-tick "Comments and likes" otherwise all their friends get to see anything you've posted if they comment or "like" it.
    Canon EOS 60D ..... EFS 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS - 430 EXII Speedlite - "eBay special" Remote Control Unit - Manfrotto 190XPROB w 804RC2 head.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Facebook may die now
    I thought as above until this morning. I was just watching Sunrise, and there was a segment on facebook.
    Facebook now leaves cookies on your hard drive. These cookies once you have visited facebook, now keep a record of you internet surfing after you have visited the site.
    So after visiting facebook, they know I came to Ausphotography, Checked the weather radar, went to my online bank account, added photo's to my flickr account, checked my own forum, had a quick squiz on ebay. And so on, and so on ect. Do we want facebook to know our surfing history. I do not think so.

Also on Sunrise they said that once you post an image on it, the copyright belongs to them. They can use your images for anything, they can alter your images without your permission. I am now closing my account. Looks like its back to emails and phone calls.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doomed, lol

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffsta View Post
    Facebook now leaves cookies on your hard drive. These cookies once you have visited facebook, now keep a record of you internet surfing after you have visited the site.
    That is a furphy. Cookies cannot be used to do that.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Doomed, lol
    Remember MySpace?

In July 2005, News Corporation acquired Myspace and its parent company Intermix Media for $580 million.
    From 2005 until early 2008, Myspace was the most visited social networking site in the world,
    and in June 2006 surpassed Google as the most visited website in the United States.
    In April 2008, Myspace was overtaken by Facebook in the number of unique worldwide visitors,
    and was surpassed in the number of unique U.S. visitors in May 2009.
    Since then, the number of Myspace users has declined steadily in spite of several redesigns.
    As of September 2011, Myspace was ranked 91st by total web traffic.

In June 2009, Myspace employed approximately 1,600 workers.
    Since then the company has undergone several rounds of layoffs and by June 2011, Myspace had reduced its staff to around 200.

On June 29, 2011, Myspace was sold to Specific Media and Justin Timberlake for approximately $35 million.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember myspace - they failed to evolve

Re FB re photos

"For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos (IP content), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (IP License). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it."

They dont own the copyright, You still do, but they can do what they want with the photos. Its a risk you take every time you post a photo. That's why I would recommend low res files to start with and watermark them if you think they have commercial value

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey... I'm only going on what was on national TV this morning. http://au.tv.yahoo.com/sunrise/facts...nline-travels/
    He also said that facebook owns copyright to the photos that you add to the site. And they can manipulate them or use them for advertising.
    I'm only stating what was on TV, broadcasted all over Australia for all to see.
    Also found this:
    A relevant quote from the Facebook Terms of Use:
    By posting User Content to any part of the Site, you automatically grant, and you represent and warrant that you have the right to grant, to the Company an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense) to use, copy, publicly perform, publicly display, reformat, translate, excerpt (in whole or in part) and distribute such User Content for any purpose, commercial, advertising, or otherwise, on or in connection with the Site or the promotion thereof, to prepare derivative works of, or incorporate into other works, such User Content, and to grant and authorize sub licenses of the foregoing.
    Last edited by geoffsta; 27-09-2011 at 11:06am.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast